Picking up Roadkill bobcats in Colorado

huntingal

Is it legal or not to pickup roadkill bobcats in Colorado? (with appropriate license)

I was told a few years back that it wasn't legal by our local warden, but I am sure on that on last years check in sheet(for cities tags) that "road kill pickup" was an option.

I don't know about Colorado, but good luck. Here in NY they were able to actually ADD some common sense to our laws a few years ago:

Possession of Road-Killed Furbearers

If the trapping or hunting season is open for the species in a Wildlife Management Unit (WMU), you may keep a dead furbearer found on roads within that WMU. The requirements for possessing road-killed furbearers are the same as for trapping and hunting. For example, if you find a road-killed fisher in an area with an open fisher season and you possess a trapping license, you have to contact DEC for a pelt seal. If you find a bobcat, you can possess it if you have a small game or trapping license, but you also must have it pelt sealed.

Originally Posted By: huntingalIs it legal or not to pickup roadkill bobcats in Colorado? (with appropriate license)

I was told a few years back that it wasn't legal by our local warden, but I am sure on that on last years check in sheet(for cities tags) that "road kill pickup" was an option.
I can foresee where there would be conflicting answers due to different jurisdictions. For example, the regulations may be different for picking up a road killed bobcat in a national park, on an Indian reservation, than they would be for other lands. Here in AZ, if it is not contrary to federal laws and regulation, it would be permissible to pick up a road killed bobcat if the person contacts the AZ Game and Fish Dept prior to picking it up (Commission Rule R12-4-322). I do not know about Colorado, but suggest notifying the CO state wildlife agency when you find one to cover the bases.

Originally Posted By: huntingalIs it legal or not to pickup roadkill bobcats in Colorado? (with appropriate license)

CITES is a federal deal, so I would suspect the same check sheet is used by all of the states.
KY allowed road-killed cats to be utilized. You just needed a state disposal permit that was free from a wildlife officer.

I have picked up and DOW has sealed cats for me that were roadkill. just gave them same info as when i shoot or trap them.
only thing i did different is i brought them whole to them to get sealed. not the law just wanted them to see there were roadkill.

i can say they sucked. one slipped due to green belly and being on side of road to long.
one had about every bone in his body broke so leather side of pelt was rough looking when dried. not even sure how many times i washed him.

Back