Skinning knife

I typically like more traditional knives, but its awful darn hard to beat a Havalon Piranta for skinning critters. Replaceable scalpel like blades so you don't have to sharpen etc and very very handy IMO. If your.blade gets dull , just click on a new one and go to work

For just skinning in the shed the best answer is just use what the professionals use like these.
http://www.minntrapprod.com/Pelting_Skinning-Knives/products/358/

Course,,, that's no fun so I try one or two new ones every year.
This year it's one of the Havalon's BigSky mentioned and a KOA cub. I'll let ya know how that works out in late Feb when our fur season ends.
I will say though that one of the best skinners I've found over the years is the little WoodsWalker that AG Russel sells. Nothing fancy or expensive about em but I haven't been without one since I bought my first 20+ years ago.
Luck

Thanks to the both of you I have been looking at havalons but can't decide on which one... Do you guys know which is the smallest of them

If money is a consideration I would buy a couple of these Victorinox Paring Knives. They are inexpensive (about $5.00 apiece), hold an edge fairly well, can get very sharp and touch up easily. They are excellent inexpensive working knives.

If you don't mind spending a little more and want a little classier working knife then something like this Gene Ingram #4 Bird & Trout will work too. There are a lot of options...

Originally Posted By: GCIf money is a consideration I would buy a couple of these Victorinox Paring Knives. They are inexpensive (about $5.00 apiece), hold an edge fairly well, can get very sharp and touch up easily. They are excellent inexpensive working knives.

That's another very good choice for the fur shed.
I recently picked one up while ordering some other stuff from a trapping vendor. Haven't used it yet but I can tell you that like GC say's "it doesn't take much to get em scalpel sharp".
I'm kicking myself for not ordering the same knife with a serrated blade for ringing the feet but I plan to on my next order.
(I'm not a slow learner,,,,just a fast forgetter:(

FWIW,,, allot of taxidermists like/use these blades.

I have the Victorinox Paring knife (very sharp) and a draw knife for the fur shed. They are a good price.
For the field, I have a Swing blade, and a Knives of Alaska muskrat knife. they usually only need sharpening once a year. (I have used the muskrat to skin 30+ coyotes, and 2 elk, and 1 deer on a single sharpening)

For a knife in the field, you want something that is sharp.. But i do caution that when pulling/pushing the hide off, you don't want something that is too sharp. Sometimes you are a little tired, or doing this in the dark, and with a really sharp pointed knives, you can nick the hide, which will cause you more work later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a havalon pirahnna last year for an elk hunt and love it, I will say changing blades makes me a bit nervous without a leatherman handy. I used it on an elk last year and all of deer season.

Case skinner or the ones that I make are my favorite.
Cant make myself try the Havalon style knife although I like the idea of it. A knife is a reflection of the guy carrying it in most cases. Not saying there is anything wrong with carrying one its just not my style.

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogs

And what does carrying a Havalon reflect?

Hard telling but fortunatly I don't "carry" mine.
Wouldn't want it to reflect on my Curmudgeon persona;)

BTW mmtx,,, what exactly is a "Case skinner".
I'm not familiar with that pattern by Case and google doesn't turn up anything.

I carry so many different knives that I must be one seriously mixed up individual.

Hey, he may have a point
blink.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI carry so many different knives that I must be one seriously mixed up individual.

Hey, he may have a point
blink.gif

I was thinking the same thing Ken, my knives must represent multiple personality disorder...

Its Case Ridgeback line that I was refering to.

Take it easy fellas I didnt mean to ruffle any feathers. I guess it did come across wrong. I know that yall do the same thing tough. Your standing in line at the store and you see a guy with a giant Pakistan made bowie knife strapped to his hip. Are you telling me that you dont think something about that. good or bad.

The havalon knives are prolly great knives and I am sure I would like it if I ever skinned something with it, just not something I wouls strap on my belt every day. thats all I meant.

Last edited:
Back