leupold VXR scope

They are great scopes. Hunted with a buddy that had one mounted on a R15 with a cds on top of it and it was a great scope. Spent quite a bit of time behind it and looking through it. The illuminated feature is really nice for the last stand of the day. Coyote killing machines if you put the crosshairs on the yote
smile.gif

I'm really tempted to get a 3-9x40 for night hunting, but it seems the reticle is thicker than the standard reticle. I'd rather have a fine retical than extra thick. The red dot would be sweet for night hunting, but the thick reticle is not what I want for day hunting...

VX3 standard duplex (non illuninated), because the VXR reticles are thick due to the LED.

The fine duplex will be hard to see at night, in the woods, brush, or dark backgrounds, at least for me.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

The black VX-R plex reticle is thicker than the standard plex reticle on a VX-2 and VX-3. Compare them side by side on the same magnification.

True the VX-R firedot only illuminates a dot, but the rest of the plex reticle is thicker than a regular plex reticle.

DiRTY DOG,

Is it just the larger portion of the reticle or the entire portion?

At what ranges do you think it would be a hindrance?

Thanks.
Steve

I don't own a VX-R, I've just reviewed Leupold's retical spec charts and viewed diff models side by side in the store. The entire R plex reticle is thicker, both the thick post and thinner center posts. I think it's fine for big game, and predator hunting.

It may be a hindrance for target shooting and varmint shooting- ex: 200+ yards. That's what's keeping me from owning one.

I would guess it's a big advantage, moon or no moon. The dot would allow you to aim very quickly. I know there are times when it can be a challenge to find the crosshairs of a regular scope, depending on the light and shadows. I dislike full moon hunting, I prefer dark nights, there's more contrast and it seems my spotlight is brighter.

for those that have or have used the vxr how well do you like it? i have never owned a leupold my daughters boyfriend has a vx 1 or 2 and i thought that was pretty nice. i have had instances that i could not see the crosshairs in the dark but could see a coyote on the snow, i do not use alternative light.

Back