When do hogs move the most?

They will rub pine trees to the point of removing the bark in order to rub pine tar on them, presumably as bug repellent. You can make a rub tree by wrapping burlap around it and soaking it with burnt motor and diesel. They will find it and use it. Sort of like making a mock scrape, but it actually works.

Kizmo-- Ive never heard of that before!!! Thanks a lot for passing that along ...Funny I was talking with my Father just now about this "rub post" and he said he use to have them on the farm, inside the hog pens . He described them exactlly the same .. Burlap sack drenched with old motor oil.. He said it helped with mites, ticks etc... Thanks Fellas!!

I hear creosote works as good or better than burnt motor oil but I've got about 100 gallons of burnt motor oil.

I may have to make one just to try, one question for all, is there any possibility you would be in some sort of EPA reg if you did this on public land or even on your own for that matter. I know fish & game can write you up for discharging oily bilge water?

just a thought that might keep us out of trouble

Can't predict how state laws will vary. The prohibition on discharging oily bilge water sounds like the USCG regulation. In practice, very little, if any, oil makes it even to the surface of the soil.

You could put up 1000 rubbing trees on my place spill a gallon of oil at each one and you would still come nowhere near the environmental destruction these hogs are making.

90% of the time when I have busted a Hog, I had wet boots. The top of my Truck was wet. This is called the dew point. The coolest time of the night.

Write that down.

I usually start out @ about 2100 hrs. I like to ride with my window down even though the A/C is on. When I feel a sudden drop in temp like maybe 10 degrees. I usually see Hogs.

You will find them in open areas @ night.

Ditch the white lights and buy @ a minimum a PVS14. Your life will drastically improve.

Well, dangit, it happened again. Tried a new place where they have a mudhole and 8 rub trees right by the main road. Went sneaking up to that mudhole Saturday night and nothing was there. Walked back down the road and drove out. This guy was stretched across the road I had just walked a minute before. I guess I stepped right over him. At least he didn't strike at me like the last one did.

I'd just put a set of Meprolights on my 10mm, so I got to try them out. Unfortunately, my head shot turned into a "twofer" head and neck shot because he coiled up just as I pulled the trigger. Oh well. Kiz Jr. was happy to get the rattle.
Canebrake2_zps240e0128.jpg

I'm beginning to think hogs and canebrakes go together like bacon and eggs. Yeeeesh.
scared.gif

Last edited:
Darn, Kiz, with all the hogs you have, I'm surprised the snakes are that prevalent.

We have a lot of big rattlers on one ranch I hunt but no hogs....as in none. Another ranch (about 60 miles apart) the snake population is obviously tied to the hog population. When lots of hogs, no snakes. One year they trapped 300 hogs and the snake population exploded; hogs up this year and haven't seen a snake.

That's a skinny booger, how long was he? Those are the ones that worry me the most as they are a lot quicker IMO.

Regards,
hm

I swear canebrakes must be attracted to hogs. That other one that nearly got me was right beside a fresh hog trail loaded with muddy brush. Never seen a canebrake in the wild in my life and this summer I've come within striking distance of two, and both of them were in hog hot spots.

I didn't measure him, but I think he was around 4'. Had 9 rattles. The one I killed earlier had 13 and was about twice as fat. Thank goodness he wasn't a good aim, because he struck before rattling.

Canebrake#1 close call

It's gotten a little dry lately, so I went out Thursday to check watering holes. Ran into two. They walked up 15 feet from me. It's so thick in there, I could hear them grunting long before I could see them. The .454 claimed its first victim. It was a bad shot (center mass) because I could just see them well enough to know they weren't people or cows. The hog only went about 10 yards. Definitely loving the Casull.

454victim_zpsf9e0c5f0.jpg

Kerfrattamator recalibration complete.

The pic proves your shot was good enough!
Way to stay after them and congrats on breaking in the 454.
So is the other side already barbequed from the muzzle blast at that range?

Lol. You know, I haven't shot that thing much without ear protection, so I was surprised at how relatively quiet the shot was. Not any louder than my .44 magnum. It's definitely my go-to hog gun at this place, where shots are generally 10 feet-50 yards. Sure a lot easier to carry through the thick stuff than a rifle.

Back