Picking a scope for my new squirrel rifle

22cat

I got a Browning SA-22 and need advice an a optic to put on it. I don't know whether to go with a regular scope with a dovetail mount or a long eye relief scope. if anybody has this rifle or knows anything about optics and can help then I would appreciate it. Thanks

Way back when.... Redfield made a 4X, 3/4 tube scope that would go perfect on that. I have also seen one just like the Redfield with the Browning name on it. I have been led to believe Browning had Redfield make them with the Browning name just for the SA-22. The one I saw with the Browning name was mounted on a SA-22 and looked JUST RIGHT.
The Redfields are few and far between and bringing top dollar in very good shape. I'm sure it would be next to impossible to find one with the Browning name. Here's one offered on fleabay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redfield-4X-Rifl...=item2eca9cd38e

check out the Nikon 3-9 BDC rimfire. I picked one up this past spring and I love it.
Very clear and the spot on link on the Nikon sight is great.

Weaver made a mount for that rifle that fastened at the rear sight on the barrel and went back over the receiver, you had to remove the rear sight and there were two plug screws where you installed the mount.

Originally Posted By: tincancheck out the Nikon 3-9 BDC rimfire. I picked one up this past spring and I love it.
Very clear and the spot on link on the Nikon sight is great. I have 3 - 3x9x40 BDC scopes on my 22's and the work good m got them at wal marts.

To me a 3-9x40 looks too big for the tiny Browning rifle. I like the looks of a compact 4x or a straight tube 1.5-5 or something similar. The largest scope I would put on one would be a compact 2-7.

Originally Posted By: swampcrawlerWhen ya get done trying all the rest of the suggestions--put a Red Dot on it--you can thank me later.
G

I've been using my dad's old Marlin Golden 39A Mountie with a Tasco 4x scope in Iron-Sighter rings. I ditched that crappy setup wanting to use iron sights since it's my fast-pointing, walking hunting rifle and I plan on getting a scoped 17 HMR in the future. The problem was, even at the highest notch on the rear sight, it would still shoot high. I took your advice and ordered a Weaver #90 rail for the 39A and mounted a Vortex Sparc on top. I know it seems wrong and nontraditional, but I'm excited to sight it in and shoot some squirrels and rabbits!

Last edited:
Another vote for the fixed 4x leupold rimfire in a gloss finish.

I'm really disliking the looks of power rings these days. Ruins the clean lines

Jus got a cabelas rimfire 3x9x40 scope for my 22 mag. Nice glass and holds zero. Had them on sale for 50 bucks. I assume a Chinese made scope but I like it. Good quality for the price.

i still aint put one on it yet. i done purty good with the gun this past season with its iron sights. im a leupold guy by nature but have been interested in the nikons "spot on" scopes as well. i love red dots but i like to have some magnification to help with my poor eyes and head shots. really a 1-4 or 2-7 scope would be good i think. i wish you could get a magnified red dot besides that expensive stuff eotech has. ill just keep looking i guess and maybe when i see it, i will know lol

Back