Kansas "Salvage Tags"

canislatrans54

I wasn't sure whether to put this here...or in the Big Game sub-forum.
But, I have a question.

I was reading the 2013 Kansas Hunting & Furharvesting Regulations Summary.

Under "Salvage Tags", I read the following, & am curious......

quote: "Antlers may not be cut off roadkills or found skulls & possessed without this tag." unquote

I understand the part about the roadkilled animals.

My question is, how does this relate to those people that pick up shed antlers...and/or if they come across remains while picking up shed antlers???
confused.gif
confused.gif

You can tell by the base of the antler if it has been shed. A European mount, with the skull attached to the antlers, is what they're talking about. I've actually heard of people getting in trouble for not having a salvage tag for a rack they had found in the woods still attached to the skull.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BailYou can tell by the base of the antler if it has been shed. A European mount, with the skull attached to the antlers, is what they're talking about. I've actually heard of people getting in trouble for not having a salvage tag for a rack they had found in the woods still attached to the skull.

Forgive me, please. I know what a shed antler looks like, even though I don't "hunt" sheds.
smirk.gif

My reason for asking the question, is because over the years, I have bought a lot of antlers at consignment auctions...to use for call making.
cool.gif

And a few of what I've bought, have been still on the skulls.
And they are obviously "carcass skulls" from remains...and not heads taken off of deer that were harvested.
None of these had any sort of tags on them.
And, as such, I do not want to get in trouble with the law.
wink.gif

So, I wanted to know more info.
Also, now that I think on it, I'd like to know how long this regulation has been in effect?
confused.gif

{And before any authority types decide to knock on my door...The last time I bought any of these skull/antler combos was in 2011. And I cut the antlers off of them right after I got them, and disposed of the skulls.}

I think this has been around for a while I remember someone showing me a set they found one spring that he thought was from a deer that met a car and made the comment "don't tell the warden I didn't get a salvage tag". that was about 5 years ago and I kind of just kept my distance from him, just didn't get a good feeling from anything he had said.

Might be a good idea to steer clear of antlers on a skull if you don't see a tag though.

If you like I can email a warden for you and ask?

Last edited:
Per page 5 of the 2013 hunting regulations

SALVAGE TAGS
Any dead big game or wild turkey found
may be possessed only after it has been
tagged with an official KDWPT salvage tag.
Antlers may not be cut off roadkills or found
skulls and possessed without this tag. Other
dead wildlife may be possessed in season
with proper licenses and within legal limits.

It does not have any effect on shed antlers. However any dead animal where it is attached to the skull you need a Salvage Tag.

James

Last edited:
Missouri has a similar law but I believe we have 24 hours to report it to a conservation agent who will then issue you a tag for it.

We see bucks with their heads cut off all the time in Oct-Nov. Think they got salvage tags? Me neither...

Last edited:
As per the bunny police here.... Says any skull found at any point must be legally tagged whether it is with your purchased tag or a salvage tag. Any skull without one is not legal and can be taken from you. They want you to call an officer to inspect the area for illegal means of take. Example- our neighbor found a very large whitetail skull while morel hunting 2 years ago,called to get a salvage tag for it but could not since he picked it up already. Warden then showed up to investigate and take the remains. BS in my opinion but what can ya do.

Passmore

What they are doing in relation to that law is needing to investigate the "crime scene". If there is no evidence of foul play and you want the skull/antlers they should issue a salvage tag. If there is evidence of poaching/foul play, they will seize it. The reasons are two fold.

If a poacher is caught in the area and admits to poaching deer, a lot of times he will be taken around the area and point out areas where he poached and shot deer. If it is one of the areas that a head was located/seized, it is evidence.

The other reason is there are people among us that feel perfectly comfortable shooting a deer and then tying the head/antlers up to a tree or something until nature has ran it's course. Once it has, they will go get the head or call the GW and say that they found it.

I know. Its surprising that people would do this, but it happens...!

Back