Worksharp sharpener

Longnkrnch

Sitting here watching an infomercial on one of the outdoor channels for the Worksharp Sharpener. Looks interesting. I currently use a Lansky, and get pretty good results. Does anyone on here use the Worksharp and how good is it?

Originally Posted By: LongnkrnchThanks for the info. Those infomercials make them sound like the best thing since sliced bread. I'll just stick with the stone.

Those infomercials are there for one reason. And one reason ONLY.
TO SELL STUFF!!!
I don't buy anything from an informercial!

I haven't used one of the Worksharp sharpeners, but have a buddy that was interested in one and showed me a video on them. The system is basically a small version of a belt grinder like I use to make knives and put the edge on a knife. It looked interesting to me and my buddy bought one.

He's really liked it and has gotten to be proficient with it on different types of blades. That being said, I'm the type that likes to sit down with a stone and work a nice edge by hand.

Different tools for everyone, but I think the versatility this one gives a guy, without buying a full on grinder and all the belts, etc., is pretty cool if you are sharpening a number of items.

My neighbor has one. He loves it but he's not a real knife man. Just an old farmer that can't get an edge with a stone to save his life.
I've read that they can grind the tips off if you aren't careful but that was internet gossip so take it with a grain.

For the price I think I'd go with one of the Lansky/KME type fixtures but that's just me.

I have used almost every sharpener made. The one that I ended up with is the Spyderco Tri Angle once I learned to use the coarse stone long enough for the first sharpening. On the advice of my best friend in Alaska I bought a Worksharp. By following the directions it was a total disappointment plus I can see how it would be easy to put a table knife point on a knife. Then I got to thinking. The belt concept was sound. After removing the guide, and checking the angle of the belt it is about the same as the Tri Angle. Using a light touch free hand that would not move the belt, and using it like sharpening with the Tri Angle, and being careful not to overheat the blade it did a fantastic job. With a lite touch the knife would would roll the hair off my arm. or leg. I got $40 for the Tri Angle on Ebay.
Frank

Back