Your favorite round for hogs?

A customer at my gun counter one day said that he shot a hog(unknown weight) 3 times inside a hundred yards with a "7 Mag" and the hog never flinched. I wasn't there to see it, but if that is true.......

I know it's not a 7MM, but I shot one 3 times in the ribs with a .22 mag at 10 yds that just stood there and took it. I finally run on the 4th shot. I made it 150 yds.

Originally Posted By: weekenderOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyA customer at my gun counter one day said that he shot a hog(unknown weight) 3 times inside a hundred yards with a "7 Mag" and the hog never flinched. I wasn't there to see it, but if that is true.......I know it's not a 7MM, but I shot one 3 times in the ribs with a .22 mag at 10 yds that just stood there and took it. I finally run on the 4th shot. I made it 150 yds. You ran and made it 150 yards? And then what?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:A customer at my gun counter one day said that he shot a hog(unknown weight) 3 times inside a hundred yards with a "7 Mag" and the hog never flinched. I wasn't there to see it, but if that is true...........I'm sorry, but if he shot three times with a 7mm Mag and it didn't flinch, I'd have to think that he missed all three times...

While the "Flinch" in not indicative of a hit or miss, one of the other Sergeants that I worked with used a 7mm Mag for deer hunting and I've witnessed a bunch of red spray mist from the ones he hit with it...I'm pretty sure a hit on a hog would be pretty similar as to the impact effect...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyA customer at my gun counter one day said that he shot a hog(unknown weight) 3 times inside a hundred yards with a "7 Mag" and the hog never flinched. I wasn't there to see it, but if that is true...........I'm sorry, but if he shot three times with a 7mm Mag and it didn't flinch, I'd have to think that he missed all three times...

While the "Flinch" in not indicative of a hit or miss, one of the other Sergeants that I worked with used a 7mm Mag for deer hunting and I've witnessed a bunch of red spray mist from the ones he hit with it...I'm pretty sure a hit on a hog would be pretty similar as to the impact effect... You do realize Chupathingy's post was meant as sarcasm, don't you? He's posting some of the typical gasbag nonsense you're likely to hear at a gun shop/gun show. There was never any serious suggestion that a "7 Mag" was somehow inadequate for feral swine.

We've all seen the various videos posted in this very forum of swine shot with .223s, 7.62x39s, arrows, etc. We've all shot (most of us have, anyway) hogs, deer, etc. It's not hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Originally Posted By: BricktopOriginally Posted By: OldTurtleOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyA customer at my gun counter one day said that he shot a hog(unknown weight) 3 times inside a hundred yards with a "7 Mag" and the hog never flinched. I wasn't there to see it, but if that is true...........I'm sorry, but if he shot three times with a 7mm Mag and it didn't flinch, I'd have to think that he missed all three times...

While the "Flinch" in not indicative of a hit or miss, one of the other Sergeants that I worked with used a 7mm Mag for deer hunting and I've witnessed a bunch of red spray mist from the ones he hit with it...I'm pretty sure a hit on a hog would be pretty similar as to the impact effect... You do realize Chupathingy's post was meant as sarcasm, don't you? He's posting some of the typical gasbag nonsense you're likely to hear at a gun shop/gun show. There was never any serious suggestion that a "7 Mag" was somehow inadequate for feral swine.

We've all seen the various videos posted in this very forum of swine shot with .223s, 7.62x39s, arrows, etc. We've all shot (most of us have, anyway) hogs, deer, etc. It's not hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. I was just illustrating that pigs ain't bulletproof and people that make claims that it takes a howitzer to kill them are probably exhibiting less than spectacular marksmanship. You can kill them with a .22LR if you're a [beeep] good shot, so if you can't do it with a "7mag", it's not the calibers fault.

Chupa

Back