"Field of Dreams.....an EPIC Groundhog Hunt.."

6.5x61Super

..so I am trying to get in some "late" season groundhog hunting.

I went to one farm I had not hunted in awhile. Shot a couple groundhogs, decided to scout for new farms.

I drive down one gravel road, see a farmer in his John Deere..follow him to his farm....ask for permission, he said he didn't own the land and the landowners were not home. I said no problem and left.

Drive around some more...turn down another dirt road...come over a rise in the road....and WOW....

I walk up to the door...an older lady probably in her late 70's answers, I ask her for permission to groundhog hunt, she said OKAY...no one has hunted her fields for at least 5 years [translation = TARGET RICH ENVIRONMENT!!]....

and then we proceeded to talk for about 30 minutes, I could tell she was a widower.

Anyways, she excused herself as she was visiting her son who happens to live in the same lake community I live in.

SO, I walk across the dirt road, with my 50# Eberstock backpack loaded with my 23# 260AI and assorted equipment including my video camcorder....

Long story getting short......15 shots fired today, 12 confirmed kills.....

I just got done editing the 23 minute 1080p HD Video...no way in heck am I gonna upload this video with my country DSL speeds! So, we shall wait until Monday at work!

Here's a picture for a little tease....lol

..it's 540 yards to the far treeline...

FODEpic_zps4af9eda9.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the video. I know it took some time to make and edit get it posted up just so the rest of us can enjoy it.

I spent about 6 hours today out in the fields and only saw one groundhog...a boring 75 yard shot near a turkey shed with my 22 Magnum. I never did get to take another shot with my longer range 223 and 243...a pathetic day for me. I hit these farms too hard the past couple years so there are very few left.

Your video reminded me of some prior trips where I could set up in one area and enjoy the outdoors while waiting for some hogs to pop up.

Nice shooting. The long shots in the wind can be rough and I thought you did a real good job.

I like the hood on your camera screen.
It's the only way to go.

Keep up the good work.

When is the best time of day to groundhog hunt? Ive thought about going a time or two but Ive probably only seen 3 or 4 groundhogs in my life while hunting. I don't know if we just don't have the numbers others do or im not paying good enough attention. We have a season with unlimited bag limits so that suggest to me that we have quite a few.

very nice. i cant find them in the open fields very much any more. too many coyotes. so i have taken to hunting them close to town with airguns mostly. still a few here and there with the powder burners though

Back