20 VT range & field report

Rich44

I finally got this running I had it built this spring by Bob Green its a trued Mod 7 action
Rock Creek 12 twist barrel
Jewell trigger
Mcmillan Hunter stock
Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 with the Varmint reticle

This is the second barrel the first was a Pacnor 11 twist that just would not shoot (groups over 1.5" or stacked vertical) no matter what powder bullet primer combo I tried, so after over 300 test loads I picked up a Rock Creek barrel and sent it back to Bob Green to re barrel.

these are the first 4 shots with the Rock Creek barrel
there was a orange paster in between the top shot and the 3 shot group, the high shot was to get on paper at 25 yrds the rest at 100,

20gr's AA 2200 and 32gr SBK
IMG_20130809_141831_130_zps3519657a.jpg

then a couple more groups
IMG_20130809_141922_327_zps939c3242.jpg

IMG_20130809_141929_854_zps6ec07b4e.jpg

Then the field test
first groundhog 86 yards never twitched
IMG_20130810_175738_730_zps2fe17ed0.jpg

second groundhog 139 yrds again never twitched also neither bullet exited
IMG_20130810_180221_885_zps6fb5f5a6.jpg

Its a LOT less headache when your build falls into place. Darned it didn't happen w/the pacnor bbl.
Nice results!.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogNice rifle! Just curious though, did you contact pacnor about the first barrel and if so, what did they say?

It is heading back there Monday so they can evaluate it, we did find a flaw in the barrel a small void or pit in the barrel

Furhunter

One of the groups I posted was with 1680 and one with RL7

I went through two PAC nor barrels and gave up on them I will never buy another one again they were great to deal with they gave me my money back with no questions asked. What a headache.

I've only had one Pac-nor (in 6mm) & it shot just as good as my Kreigers & Bartliens. Reading this desn't make me want to buy another though... I'd be interested in what comes of the 1st barrel.

Looks like the 2nd is a winner though! Cool

I have six or eight Pacnor barrels and I would not hesitate to buy another everyone can make a bad barrel.
I ordered a 9 twist .20 barrel in the SSM and it took them three tries to pass there QC sure my barrel was delayed but the one I finaly got is a great shooter .

I have to say this about Bob Green and Pacnor. I have never worked with a more dedicated professional as Bob Green, as soon as I started to have problems I called Bob and literally had him on the phone while I was working up loads and testing them at the range, plus he kept calling and checking on my progress.
When we decided that it was a barrel problem he said to send it back and he would check it out.

In the meantime I found a Rock Creek blank and sent him the rifle and new blank, plus the reamer and gauges he got the rifle on Friday and had it back to me the next Wensday and this thing shoots awesome, also Pacnor never hesitated and imediately said to send the barrel back in so they could check it out.

So far great CS from both just had to say that

Last edited:
I currently have 3 Pac-nors and have had others. I've never had a problem and they all are great and clean up very nicely.

Originally Posted By: Rich44I have six or eight Pacnor barrels and I would not hesitate to buy another everyone can make a bad barrel.

Yep. This is what guys who know say. Guys who actually have shot out a barrel or 2 in their lifetime. Guys who don't know, get one bad barrel from someone and swear them off for life and slander their name.

As for custom barrels, I have owned a bunch of brands, and most all shot very well. PN, Rock, and Krieger are the 3 I buy most, but wouldn't hesitate to buy another custom make.

Great looking rifle Rick. Nice build indeed
thumbup.gif

Back