What's your favorite skinning knife?

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyHey yotehunter243 got a case similar to your k-bar you can't beat em. Got a case bulldog like smokeless to that I aired from my grandpa but its a safe queen. If I can figure out how to post pics I will share.

Well,,, get to it Leadbelly.
Everyone knows how cranky I get waiting on knife pix;)

There's a tutorial on posting pix over in the photo forum, and welcome aboard.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...nt=2&page=1

I use serrated Victorinox around the head and for wringing the feet and mainly Havalon for the rest. Also like the 3- 4" Forschner knives.

Thanks for the link repete, set up a photo bucket account today I will try to post in a couple days. We're getting slammed at work this week so just hold tight.

I have been using Knives of Alaska Knives for the past 6 years..
http://www.knifehog.com/p-1747-knives-of-alaska-muskrat-knife-00069fg.aspx

The Muskrat and others are made from D2 tool steel.. That means that I can and do skin 2 elk and over 30 coyotes last year and didn't have to re-sharpen once. I sharpen them once a year.
I also use the bear cub. to do the cutting work and the muskrat to do the skinning work.
A good skinning knife should have a rounded nose on it, you get a lot less nicks in the pelts and it's easier and faster. I can go faster and don't have to worry as much. The other thing is that it should be smaller, big knives like a K-bar (i have a few of those) are nice, but when you have to do a few coyotes, you hand will get tired.. I put magnets on the side of mine so that it sticks to the skinning pole i use. I don't have to set it down.. Its right there. I also have a swing blade, and as strange as that thing looks, it just works better than anything else i have used. It's super fast and easy to follow the color lines of the fur.

No matter what knife you get the trick is to keep them sharp.. I bought the work sharp mini belt sander unit. I can tell you that it's awesome.. It works and does really well.. It almost works too good for skinning knives. A knife that is super sharp, will slice a cat hide without even trying..

Last edited:
Catwhacker, I have had 3 Buck knives stolen from me the past 40 years but have 5 left. I am in Post falls, Idaho and went to Buck knives to have them re-shape and polish my folding knife. after 20 minutes I had a re-shaped blade and it looks like new. My wife and I will take a tour through the plant this coming Tuesday August 6, 2013
Displays of older model knives is mind blowing. I found one of the commemorative folding knives I have 3 of in the display.
My folding knife was broken in 1975 so they really do have a good warranty.
I collect knives and belt buckles.
68 knives and 46 buckles. I use my thin blades for skinning and larger ones for larger game. I also have 6 small John Toner knives.

DC0F0B74-E285-4BD9-AC96-D9C469E25A8C-8629-000014EB8ABD433D_zps1f92e609.jpg

Well repete here you go, case bulldog that I aired along with my great grandpa's model 28 he used to keep treasury agents out of his still. And my bear and sons mini Bowie I bought for skinning until I got home and seen 060 of 250 on the blade. Now it's a safe queen like the bulldog. I will post some more pics tommorrow of my working knives.

Blue steel and wood,,,, check.
Leupold scope,,, check.
Leather sling,,, check.
And a Case stacked leather small game knife,,, you and me are gonna get along just fine.
smile.gif

Yeah Pete,
Got some plastic guns but they don't get taken out in the woods much, just doesn't feel right to me. The rifle is a 1941 Winchester m75 target still holds a 1/4 inch at 50 yards with cci sd and a little better with lapua Midas loads. Was at the hardware store today and that little case looked just right for everything from bushy tails to coons and cats and I couldn't resist. Hopefully that combo will put some meat in the pot this fall.

Mine is a cheap old timer Its the blade shape I like so much.it doesn't hold the edge very long but touches up quickly and has a big handle making it comfortable to use

Here a few skinners. I have more, but these ones are pretty much dedicated skinners, and no good for anything else.

Ruana, Cherokee (Taylor Brand made in Germany), Russell GR, and a vintage Gerber Flayer:

F75EAEC2-2564-44D8-B9C5-DA58C48CFF74-125-0000007666646561_zpsd8ea1af2.jpg

Back