AO or non AO

yotehunter57

My son is looking at a Vortex Diamondback 4-22x40.

He asked if the AO is worth the extra $$ or is the non AO just as good.

It will likely end up on a RRA Coyote Carbine in 223.
Coyotes would be the main targets, mostly 200 yards or less, with an occassional longer shot.

I told him I would defer, mainly because Im not sure, and let the experts on here give their thoughts and real life experience on the subject.

What's your thought on this?

Shayne

Why does he need a 4-22x40 for 200 yard or less yote shots?

Get a good 3-9 or 4-12 non AO.

I use 3-15x42 for shooting out to and beyond 750 yards.

Last edited:
4-22 Diamondback? Did you mean 4-12? If shooting coyotes out to 200 is all he will be doing then I dont think I would worry about paying extra for the AO. Adjusting it while on stand creates more movement and really is not an issue.

I would not get a 4-12X.

But if he wants it to play double duty and have it available as a long range toy as well as a calling rig, there is really no reason to not get an AO. He can leave it set at 100ish for calling and it isn't going to cause any whiffs at the 2.

If you are going to use a scope on distant steel, AO's help more than they hurt when you get above 9-10X.

Travis

OOPS, yeah I meant 4-12

I have an older 4-16 AO Tasco on my calling rifle, and don't remember the last time I touched the AO.
I leave it on 100 and have shot to 600 with it.

I'll tell him to go with the non AO.

Shayne

Last edited:
I've come to like AO on anything over 10x. One thing nice about having AO is, it's there if ya want it. If ya aint got it well, ya aint got it...

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI've come to like AO on anything over 10x. One thing nice about having AO is, it's there if ya want it. If ya aint got it well, ya aint got it...

Exactly how I feel.

This is a good question. I have both types. I am one to say "Keep it simple". If it is a cheap scope, I don't think it would help much. I like side focus scopes they are easier to adjust. It like a new car do you want a tape player or a CD. Buy what you know how to use.

The older I get, the more I like the AO for the high power long shots. I own several Vortex with AO and several with out. Yote shooting, I leave it alone. Rockchucks with the same rifle. Helps my eyesight. So I would get AO if the price was not a consideration. In either case you need to be able to see what your doing to hit anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI've come to like AO on anything over 10x. One thing nice about having AO is, it's there if ya want it. If ya aint got it well, ya aint got it...

Well said brother. I just ordered up tye 4-12 diamondback in AO from camera land the pther day when they had their sales event. Got it for a dang good price too, i happen to prefer 16x-20x myself. Why, as stated before if you got it you got it...if you aint got it...

But anyway im going to try it out

Last edited:
Back