Your knife design

Workman

I know there are alot of us here that like to tinker with knives, refurb jobs, handle upgrades, etc. How many of you like to design knives? Whether it's your specs and design to have a custom builder make or for a personal build?

We have a professional knife maker in my home town that produced the three in the photo below...The bottom two are my design that he made for me...

The one in the middle was based on the Roman Short Sword with Ivory scales and the bottom is a heavier than normal blade, both are about 3/16" thick and both have dual edges..

The top one is one of three that I had him make for gifts to our hosts when we went to Egypt in '96 and one of the hosts copped an attitude and didn't get his, so I kept it...

I like that top one Bill. Just seems simple, with nice clean lines, and looks easy to keep hold of, just the way I like 'em.

Yes
Cocobolo

I've done about five of those belt knives. Every time I do one I swear I'm gonna keep it but then someone falls in love with it and I end up giving it to them.
Someday though.

That design really is about the perfect camp knife.
Matter of fact, can't remember where I saw it now but there's a guy out there putting handles on and marketing them for about five times the price of materials.
I can do one for 15-20 bucks so I prefer to gift em.

The cocobolo really pops on that knife. Beautiful grain on it as well as the other two. In addition to being the perfect camp knife, I could see that being the ideal all 'round home kitchen knife.
What's your favorite knife you've made for skinning predators and pelt work? Your work looks great!!

Simple answer,, the one that's sharp at the time.
IMO, skinning in a shed is allot like cutting meat so any of the cheap (err inexpensive) knives the trapping supply houses sell will get the job done but I keep going back to that old Buck and the little Russel Woodswalker pictured above.
Skinning in the field's another story but I don't do much of that any more.

I added a KOA Cub recently that I have high hopes for .
There's a thread floating around here somewhere about it.

Sorry about the crappy pic of that GR.
Those scales were indeed beautifull

Yep, I never get tired of seeing those great looking RGRs in cocobolo. I have a camp knife to do up, if I ever get some time off work. I've a really nice piece of walnut a member here gave me that I'm thinking of going with. Have some coco too.

I think I need to make up a "sharpening paddle" too. Have a bunch of nice oak I got at work......

Originally Posted By: WorkmanI know there are alot of us here that like to tinker with knives, refurb jobs, handle upgrades, etc. How many of you like to design knives? Whether it's your specs and design to have a custom builder make or for a personal build?

Last winter I actually sketched out (on graph paper) 3-4 designs I'd like to make or have made. Sometimes I just alter existing blades/blanks.......

Originally Posted By: RePeteYes
Cocobolo

I've done about five of those belt knives. Every time I do one I swear I'm gonna keep it but then someone falls in love with it and I end up giving it to them.
Someday though.

That design really is about the perfect camp knife.
Matter of fact, can't remember where I saw it now but there's a guy out there putting handles on and marketing them for about five times the price of materials.
I can do one for 15-20 bucks so I prefer to gift em.

Yep, there's a guy on 24HCF selling completed Green River knives for $90-100+. I plan to get to making some when I get settled in SD.

Thanks for reminding me. (Old timers set in a long time ago)
It's that "Vince" guy that's also involved with Meneffe IIRC.

I'm doing a GM "Ripper" right now with Water Buff scales, mosaic pins, and maroon liners. I've got about 20.00 in it but by his prices, I'd say it'll be worth a couple hundred,,, NO;)

Should be done in a couple days.
It's turning out pretty nice so I'll post pix.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing it!!! I really like the blade profile of the woodswalker in your pic, are they sold that way or did you buy the parts and fabricate it yourself. I wouldn't mind having one myself to keep in the truck for pelt work.
Best,
Bob

Originally Posted By: BlackDog1Looking forward to seeing it!!! I really like the blade profile of the woodswalker in your pic, are they sold that way or did you buy the parts and fabricate it yourself. I wouldn't mind having one myself to keep in the truck for pelt work.
Best,
Bob

That's the handiest little knife ever Bob.
AG Russel still sells em but nowdays they cost about as much as I paid for three of em.
Still worth the money though.
They're Jap steel but some of their steel can be quite good.
The wallet sheath's pretty handy too. I cut mine down so it fits the tool pouch on my carpenter jeans. Handy as a pocket on a shirt.

http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=AGPRS

That's pretty slick,thanks for putting up the link!! I like the idea of it fitting well into the tool pouch on the leg, I wear them everyday myself. The steel is pretty good eh? Take and hold an edge well and clean up well on a strop maybe?
It's certainly seems priced well for an everyday day.
Thanks,
Bob

I like the idea of the carpenter jeans thing also. I wear em every day. Have for a very long time. Have em on now. I'm just so used to them regular pants with no leg pocket or hammer loop just don't feel right to me.

It's about 105 degrees in the plant I'm in right now. My carpenter jeans are a tad soggy......LOL. May have to call it a day after 8 hours......

I've had an idea brewing in my head since I asked about designs. Most of the knives I make are pretty traditional in design, mostly drop point skinners with a bit of variety. That is the design I've always gravitated toward personally and I've never been much for extreme angles or far out designs.

For me, this idea is "out of the box", with some moving lines and a contour approach. I got it lined out today and will hopefully transfer it onto steel this weekend. I'm thinking some 1/8" 1095 will fit the bill.

IMG_20130719_154340_758.jpg

Blade designs are allot like cartridges in that the useful one's have already been designed.

That's not to say that wildcat's aren't fun mind you.

Last edited:
Back