BIG GREEN EGG

Ricky Bobby

I have been on a heckuva search for a nice grill/smoker as of lately. I have done endless searches on the net & have spoken with many of fellas on job sites to see what guys are using. Went through a phase where I thought a pellet smoker was what I needed. Then started looking @ the large offset smokers that would cook on real wood, thought this might be the way to go. Then I discovered the ceramic kumado style cookers. After researching them I realized the Big Green Egg had a special following and that the versatility of this grill/smoker/outdoor oven was endless. Finally picked it up tonight on my way home from work & got it home. Grilled a quick pizza on it & a batch of breadsticks for our meal tonight & I was VERY impressed! I can't wait to do a low & slow smoke on it of ribs, a butt, or maybe a brisket. This thing is the real deal!
grin.gif

Is there any of our members cooking with a Big Green Egg? I'd love to hear feedback on this grill & also would like to find some MUST HAVE recipes to try on my Big Green Egg.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyI have been on a heckuva search for a nice grill/smoker as of lately. I have done endless searches on the net & have spoken with many of fellas on job sites to see what guys are using. Went through a phase where I thought a pellet smoker was what I needed. Then started looking @ the large offset smokers that would cook on real wood, thought this might be the way to go. Then I discovered the ceramic kumado style cookers. After researching them I realized the Big Green Egg had a special following and that the versatility of this grill/smoker/outdoor oven was endless. Finally picked it up tonight on my way home from work & got it home. Grilled a quick pizza on it & a batch of breadsticks for our meal tonight & I was VERY impressed! I can't wait to do a low & slow smoke on it of ribs, a butt, or maybe a brisket. This thing is the real deal!
grin.gif

Is there any of our members cooking with a Big Green Egg? I'd love to hear feedback on this grill & also would like to find some MUST HAVE recipes to try on my Big Green Egg.

Congratulations on the Egg!!
I think Jeff Mock has one.

Did some chicken breast on it tonight. My god were they good! Put them in marinate last night before I went to bed that consisted of Italian dressing, mustard, A1 sauce, maple syrup, and honey. Got home from work tonight & lit the EGG. Stabilized the temp @ about 375 degrees & cooked them directly for about 9 minutes on each side. Stuck them with the thermometer and they registered at 155 degrees so I yanked them. They were YUMMY to say the least! I love this egg so far.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Cooked anything on the Egg lately?
grin.gif

My god, I'm ate up with it!
scared.gif
Honestly ... it's all I do as of lately.

I get a chance I'll post up a few pics.

Lemon Pepper Wings

Here they are on the Egg alongside some sides. Some large Portabella Mushrooms drenched with italian dressing, cheddar cheese, and fresh salsa from my garden. Also some sweet corn.

grin.gif

Here is a whole bird I did up. It turned out super YUMMY! Injected it with a homemade 50/50 mixture of Apple Juice and Italian dressing. Stuffed a fresh from the garden whole onion and whole apple up its azz & then coated it with a sweet brown sugar rub.

Here it is ready to go on the Egg

Placed on the Egg & setup for cooking high in the dome

Halfway through the cook

.... and done!

1 more time!
grin.gif

Had an annual neighborhood fish fry to attend last weekend and decided to take along some finger food. Decided to do some ATOMIC BUFFALO TURDS or better known as abt's. Cleaned up some Jalapeno peppers and halved them. Filled them with flavored cream cheese, shredded mexican cheese, and shrimp. Then wrapped them in bacon. They were a hit!

Here they are all fixed up and ready to be placed on the Egg

Here they are on the Egg after setting up for an indirect cook at 225 degrees. Grilled them for exactly 2 hours.

... and here they are done and ready for the party!

Decided I'd like to try my hand at some dessert on the Egg. Never baked a pie in my life but am told its never to late to try. [beeep], am I glad I did!
thumbup.gif

1st off ... I had to round up all my ingredients

Then peel, core, and slice my apples

Here is my 1st ever attempt at a pie, ready for my Egg

Placed on the Egg ready for the bake

Originally Posted By: fw707Waiting on pictures and details.
grin.gif

... you asked for it!
wink.gif

Currently contemplating what to try and attempt for the holiday weekend. Maybe another rack or two of ribs or might even try another whole bird. Just not too sure yet.

Almost forgot! Been cooking so much on the Egg lately that I decided I better start buying my Lump charcoal in bulk.

This is what a truckload of Lump charcoal looks like!
lol.gif

... shouldn't run out for awhile.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Dang you been cooking some fine stuff!!
thumbup.gif

Got any Butt pictures?
lol.gif

I've only done 1 butt so far, and now that I think of it, not sure if I took pics. Next go I'll be sure and do that.

I didn't know cooking could be so fun. It is rather rewarding when it tastes so goood! My wife is loving my new hobby too.

You have maybe just made up my mind for me as what to fix this weekend.
wink.gif

Nothing wrong with a good pulled pork sammich. What internal temp are you fixin them to? Also, about how long did they take?

Looks great my friend!
thumbup1.gif

Back