Its Grillin season! Whats on the Grill?

the noobie

Thought it might be a fun thread? Just got my first grill, nothing fancy just a little Weber Coal Grill but Im excited to use it this summer and through the winter up at school. Im a complete noob when it comes to grilling so I figured if people were willing to share what their grillin, maybe a recipe or two, and how theyre cooking it we could all learn a bit.
thumbup.gif

I understand how family recipes can be secret but someones gotta have something good they are willing to share!
tongue_smilie.gif

So whats grillin?

Guess I can start it off. Dont know the recipe but my boss made a nice rub for some trout fillets (she wont share any recipes with me.) and shes teaching me how to cook them tomorrow night! Never cooked fish myself so this will be interesting.

Made Armadillo eggs last night for the first time. Take hot peppers (your choice) and hull them out. Stuff with cheese (your choice). Mix burger with chopped onion, salt and pepper and form ball of meat around peppers to make egg shape. Cook on low heat on grill around 200-250 degrees. When almost done, brush with barbecue or steak sauce. I used jalapeños and Swiss cheese, and Famous Dave's sauce. Next time I'll use pepper jack cheese and A1 Bold for more kick.

Here's an easy way to do fall off the bone ribs.
Corey's Ribs

Do a google search of shish kabob there are many good recepies.
Got myself a new Webber few weeks ago (gas) and so far the only thing other than hamburgers/hotdogs was shish kabob.
Metal skewers are a must have after getting a splinter in the mouth while pulling the `goody` off a wood one.
Wife prepares the fixn`s a day ahead of time; cubed steak of choice (more expensive usually the better),sliced mushrooms,sliced onions, green/yellow/red peppers cherry tomatoes,soak the cubed steak in Mr.c`s Italian dressing overnight. Load everything on the skewers and grill `em up.
Also good with this is; boil potatos then slice, soak also in dressing, wrap in foil then grill.
I`m hungry now but it`s bedtime, dang it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYMade Armadillo eggs last night for the first time. Take hot peppers (your choice) and hull them out. Stuff with cheese (your choice). Mix burger with chopped onion, salt and pepper and form ball of meat around peppers to make egg shape. Cook on low heat on grill around 200-250 degrees. When almost done, brush with barbecue or steak sauce. I used jalapeños and Swiss cheese, and Famous Dave's sauce. Next time I'll use pepper jack cheese and A1 Bold for more kick.

Those sound pretty good! Almost sounds like the ones my neighbor made a couple weeks ago. Only I think he wrapped his in bacon. They were pretty darned tasty.
drool.gif

Shish kabobs are probably one of my favorite easy college meals. $10 will get me enough food to make enough shish kabobs for me and a lady friend and still have enough left over for stir fry for a couple days later.

Gah wish this rain would lift so I could break the grill in!

Come to think of it, I did grill some steaks too.
for a steak marinade I like Webber- Chicago Steak Seasoning..about a tablespoon of the seasoning mixed with couple teaspoons(or more) of Kikoman Soy Sauce and 1/4 cup Olive oil, mix that up and marinade, taste pretty good.
The top on that seasoning resembles the classic (Made In USA) Webber Grill
thumbup.gif

Well so far the grills gettin broke in pretty good. Trout was good but I think next time ill try to keep a little bigger fish. These ones were smaller and harder to cook without them shriveling up into nothing.

Aunt just butchered a beefalo (no not a cow and not a buffalo, a beefalo) So hopefully I can get a few steaks and some ground beefalo to grill up.

Anyone have any good chicken breast marinades, rubs, spices?

One our favorites is boneless chicken thighs from Costco, salt/pepper/garlic and grill 5-6min per side and then glazing with Sweet Baby Rays sweet chili sauce and serve with corn on the cob and fruit or salad.

There are so many ways to grill things

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogs

There are so many ways to grill things

Too many ways and not enough meals in the day to test them all out!
lol.gif

Here's something I posted on another website after a Father's Day experimentation smoking ribs.

I would have liked a bit cooler weather for tending a fire.
Thermometer_zps42663125.jpg

I made a relatively simple rub consisting of five tablespoons of kosher salt, five tablespoons of raw sugar, and two tablespoons of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning.
RubIngredients_zps5ea86017.jpg

I slathered on some basic ol’ yeller mustard (French’s to be exact), followed by application of the rub.
RibsMustard_zpsf4493d34.jpg

RibsRubbed_zpse892013a.jpg

Then it was out to prep the smoker. A couple years ago we had a pretty cold winter (for southern NM anyway), which unfortunately killed my largest nectarine tree. The only good thing about that is that I ended up with some nice smoking wood. I used some of that, and an old Folger’s coffee can full of water to provide some moisture while smoking. I lit the fire and warmed the grill, then put the rack of ribs on the top rack.
WoodPile_zpsa21c9602.jpg

SmokerReady_zps7fee33ce.jpg

RibsOnGrill_zps378725ea.jpg

While the ribs were smoking, I set out to mix up the meat’s accompanying dish – a simple classic potato salad of just a few basic ingredients. The red potatoes and eggs were boiled and diced, the red bell pepper and green onions were diced, and the mayo, kosher salt, and fresh black pepper were added to the mix to create a pretty decent side dish.
PotatoSaladIngredients_zpsdecda1dc.jpg

PotatoSaladPremix_zps9b484fd4.jpg

PotatoSaladMixed_zps36b1a0a9.jpg

To be continued.

After the ribs had been smoking for a couple hours, I started spraying them about every ten minutes or so with a 50/50 mix of water and lemon juice to keep them moist. It took about three hours of smoking with temperatures ranging from 225 to 300 (when the fire got away from me while I was occupied making the potato salad). At the end of that time, I deemed them ready and pulled them off.
RibsReady1_zpsabd3abef.jpg

RibsReady2_zps8a021f32.jpg

Joined by the chilled potato salad and a cold Blue Moon, these ribs made for a real nice looking (and tasting) place setting.
DinnerIsServed_zps0dea2165.jpg

I was pretty pleased with my first rib-smoking event, but there are a couple changes for next time. First, I’ll cut back on the kosher salt. I’m a bona fide saltaholic and thought these were a bit salty. Second, I’ll skip the Chachere’s (or cut it way back) because it made the ribs spicier than my kids liked. In fact, my daughter gave up about half way through hers and called on an old standby for her meal.
MacampCheese_zpsf9118d65.jpg

Overall, this was a fun experience that I can’t wait to repeat with the lessons learned.

thumbup1.gif
That looks real good DesertRam!!!
drool.gif

Did the Mustard/spices give you a crunchy shell or did it leave it tender? My boss recomended I try something like that but I havent had the chance.

It had a nice bark on the outside, but the meat was just about falling-off-the-bone tender. There was a bit of crunch to it because of all that sugar, but it was flavorful without being overbearing. Believe it or not, you couldn't even taste the mustard.

drool.gif
drool.gif
Gah All of this food talk is making me hungry! Might have to run to my buddies this weekend and see if we can fire up his smoker!

Has anyone done any of these Dr Pepper Recipes I have been seeing around? I love Dr Pepper so I really want to try one like this out.
Link to Marinade

Ok Ive got a challenge for you guys!!

Cousin brought me up a whole bunch of steak. Elk Steak, deer steak, Elk Burger, AND Big Horn Sheep steak.

I can cook everything but the sheep. He warned me that it is real gamey and not the greatest but he said since its a once in a lifetime meat (Utah Hunt) Id better try it, just incase neither of us draws out in our lifetime.

I want to find a good seasoning for it to help with the Gamey taste but not destroy its natural flavor. Anyone reccomend anything?

I've heard where marinating meat in milk or buttermilk can help break it down. Might be worth a shot. I like to try a small un-seasoned sample first, then see what it need from there.

A coworker's son shot a desert bighorn in TX and we helped butcher it out. I cooked some of the backstrap just like I do venison - hot and fast. Bush on some olive oil and granulated garlic first, then grill to medium rare. His old ram was fairly good eating; not as tender and tasty as a nice antelope doe, but much better than javelina.
grin.gif

Back