Youth Hunting

cmil84

I am looking at getting my daughter started hunting this year. I think she is still a little to young to put in the hunter saftey course so I was planning on getting her a apprentice license for this season. I hunt with a crossbow and I have been teaching her how to shoot it. She is 7 years old and was just wondering at what age did some of you guys out there start your kids. She is very excited about going out hunting with me and I am just as excited as her. Heck I might be more excited. We have until October to get her good at shooting the cross bow so I am hoping I can take her out one morning in the blind and get her sighted in on a deer. I have had her out shooting my GlenDel buck and she just thinks it is the greatest thing when she shoots him. Now she is focused on getting a good kill shot. It is fun to teach her but some things that seem simple to us is kind of hard to explain to a 7year old. Also if you have any advice for me on teaching her I will take that too.

When you think she is ready. Work with her a bunch and have her shoot a bunch. Tell her to take her time and not rush the shot, young kids soak up the fundamentals quickly. I had him watching hunting shows with me, i would pause it at all different angles and ask him were to shoot, if he has a shot or not. He picked up quick. Decide on a max range and stay within that.

When my boy was 9 i set him up with a .44mag handi rifle. I loaded up some light recoiling loads. He shoots it better than most grown men out to 75yds. Before he even shot it i thought if he can keep his shots into a 4" circle at 75yds he is good to go. He exceeded that no problem. Took his first deer at 90yds. I knew thet shot was pushing that but he took his time, freaked me out i wasnt ready for it behind the video camera. I was with him as he wasnt ready to be out on his own.

thanks for the advice. I like the hunting show idea. She watches hunting shows with me but I like how you pause the tv so he could pick out the shots. That is a good idea

Back