.17 Rem or .17-204?

Jake_2008

With TOO much time on my hands to think about the right calling rifle for furs, I have started to entertain the idea of a wildcat instead of a .17 Rem due in part to the availability or lack thereof of components.

The options I have on my mind are of course the .17Rem ad then the .17-204.
Again, since factory loads for the .17 are not really an option and reloading is the only way, why not go ahead and go all out? As I have read through this site, I have gleaned that the main benefit to the .17-204 is the ability to send the 30grainers at the same velocity as the 25 grainers in the .17Rem.

For cats, fox and coyotes, is there a "better" choice or a significant difference in performance or is it simply personal preference?

Also, could someone go into a little detail with regards to the .17-204? As in how it is achieved etc..

Thanks for yalls time.

Jake

I have a 17-204 which was setup just to shoot the 30gr bullets, at longer ranges with less wind drift than the 25's.

However, knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't do it again. I am thinking of building a 17-223, or a 17 Tact, whatever Kinders cartridge is using 223 brass.

I haven't killed any small cats with the 30gr bullets but I have made a few coyotes tip over. Worked very well for coyotes so far, but didn't convince me that it was better than the stock 17 Rem I have for the distances I shoot. Generally under 200 yards and usually about 100. I believe the smaller 17 cartridges or better for bobcats and foxes. Again just my opinion.

All the 17-204 is, is a 204 necked down to 17. 17-204 is cheaper to setup with 204 Ruger brass and dies, though I use a 17 Mach IV for my necks on the 17-204. And a regular 17-223 would use cheap 223 brass and 223 S-Dies with a bushing or you could neck size with a 17 FB die. 17 Tact or the 17 Predator may cost you a bit for dies.

I have a 17 FB which works pretty darn well for what I do, but I like the little extra horsepower that the 223 based cases give or the regular ole 17 Rem.

With all this being said, if you get a nice 17 Rem, 100 pieces of brass will last you quite a while, especially if your only using it for predator hunting.

Last edited:
To keep from having to go look it up. Are the 223 based 17's fireformed or just necked down.

I got the 17 itch again awhile back and had gotten 200pcs of 17Rem brass and somewhere around 800+ bullets. Having them on hand I could have easily just gotten dies and went for it. After much research , I scraped that idea and went 17-204. Being that I had already had 17Rems, I went for something diff.

Hopefully it won't be long before I fire it up !

I am told that the 17-223 is a neck down and shoot just like the 17-204. The 17 Tact and 17 Predator are fireform loads.

I am curious how long the barrels are going to last with the 17-204. I had a used 17 Rem rechambered to 17-204 and it started to open up some with group size. Or it was just me, shooting horrible in the snow.

Last edited:
I have I 17/223 in a ar platform. I can shoot 223 or204 brass in it.Both are just a neck down. My are likes the 204 brass w/25gr hornadys. I use the 223 brass w/30 an 36gr bullets. Both are flying about 3800fps an are sub mia.223 an 204 brass is usually cheaper and easier to find than 17rem brass. I average 150fps faster w/17/223 than the 17rem an 200fps w/17/204 than the 17rem. IMHO the 17/204 17/223 are more adorable. Than the 17rem.
Have fun with your build 17,s are addictive.

Mines a custom tube, I'm hoping for 800 plus good rounds. Can't be much worse than a 204R, what is the life on those ? It will be mainly a yote and chuck gun so it should last for many years ,I hope...lol

Back on the subject....

My first 17 was a 17-222, and a tight necked one no less.

Next was a 17 Rem, and that's what I'd do again if fox or cats were on the menu. The 20 grain V-Max was perfect for fox. I ran them at 4200, and never an exit. Made them look like they were trapped.

While I'd never try to persuade anyone to shy away from a wildcat, I really see no need with the 17 Rem around.

Originally Posted By: sigprosSince hornady is getting rid of the 25 hp and the 20 zmax for the rst of the year. That kinda limits stuff even more

Ouch !

Glad I got a good supply of 30 gr Bergers and Golds coming .
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: sigprosSince hornady is getting rid of the 25 hp and the 20 zmax for the rst of the year. That kinda limits stuff even more

Really? How do you know that?

Travis

Originally Posted By: sigprosYep suspending 150 bullets and 150 ammo types. Not sure why but I seen the list.

Can we see the list too? Where did you see it?

Travis

Found this list posted on the snipers hide. It seems official or what have you, but it is still the WWW that most folks can screw with rather easily. It could just be a big hoax...

Back