Customs vs Others

john007

Just curious if those that use hand/mouth calls have better success rates using custom calls than other calls. Seems like when a person asks about a (Production Call), they are referred to a custom call maker. I have a lot of customs myself so I`m in no way knocking the Callmakers.

Good question, will be interesting to see how the posts go. I don't have enough experience using either to say which one calls critters better. My personal preference, Is custom calls and for these reasons. I like to support the "little guy", the independent craftsman that is applying his skill and experience to create a unique and beautiful product. The difference in cost is generally not much. Pride of ownership, I can say that I am proud to own each and every one of my custom calls, I can't say that about my production calls and some of them cost more than the custom ones.

That's just my 2 cents, bottom line for me is that calling critters with any hand call, be it production or custom, is more fun and thrilling that pushing a button.

I hear ya. I use both custom calls and some production calls. I have some Sceery calls and Haydel calls I use. But I also have some of Rudys , Kerrys and Just got some from Rare Earth.
I use them all.

Yep, they are all good calls. I started with Sceery calls and still think they are among the best production calls out there, just got a P6 a few months ago and have really enjoyed playing with that, man that little P6 really screams.

There are a zillion calls out there to choose from.

The honest advice I give is 'find the one that you can make music with and go for it'.

It doesn't matter if it's off the assembly line or tuned by hand, if it works for you then you have a winner.

I started with production calls, but over the years and about a thousand calls later I've become able to notice the subtle nuance in the tone between a production call and a hand tuned call.

And, as we all know, tone is everything. 'Pretty' is nice, but it's the tone that brings 'em in.

Just one ole' boy's opinion. LOL!

Regards, friends.

Rudy

Back