MS hogs...harder than you think!

kylekrm944

First, for those who connect with hogs at night with a light, congrats!

Many think that the numbers of hogs make it EASY, to kill hogs, and it's not! My colleague and I are working in MS, and have hunted a total of 5 nights, hitting the open fields and pastures with a green light.

On a positive note, gaining access to lands to hunt has been super easy. We have stopped at country stores and gained access very easily.

Other colleagues have thermal equipment and have been successful in the very same fields we have been skunked in!

Our trip is too short to try and work in some feeders to sit on. How do you guys do it?

Kyle

Id love to see a How To!

Do you think that the hogs wise up to people running around with spotlights?

A buddy of mine that hunts with thermal equipment says that the area we are hunting (east of Yazoo City) has high spotlight traffic, and the hogs are really wise to it.

Originally Posted By: HOG RUSHYes, Hogs wil run hide when white lights are present.
You need NV to navigate and thermal on your rifle.
==========================================================
Pigs will scatter with red or green lights too! It doesn't take but one time shooting with a light, and the whole sounder will be educated from then on....
I have not graduated to thermal, but I do have a Gen III D 740, and a Pinnacle monocular. The NV has been deadly on pigs!
F1

Originally Posted By: HOG RUSHYes, Hogs wil run hide when white lights are present.

We had a green light. I think it is too powerful and that we were not using it correctly. It's a Q beam million candle power with a green lens cover.

Originally Posted By: Flyrod1Originally Posted By: HOG RUSHYes, Hogs wil run hide when white lights are present.
==========================================================
Pigs will scatter with red or green lights too! It doesn't take but one time shooting with a light, and the whole sounder will be educated from then on....
I have not graduated to thermal, but I do have a Gen III D 740, and a Pinnacle monocular. The NV has been deadly on pigs!
F1

We think we saw 2 pigs in the brush line, not in the field running away from the light.

I wish I had $3,000 for some thermal, but I am considering how well a gen 1 rifle scope and huge IR illuminator would work?

Kyle

Originally Posted By: dwaHope it helps. Now go kill em!!

We will try!

Booked a hotel in MS (we live in VA) to take the 13 year old on a bacon expedition! Gonna drive out July 4 weekend and get a couple long days of hunting in!

Wish us luck!

Kyle

What a bonehead move to be out on a trip without night vision!!!

I just went over and picked up a set for my KY/TN trip.

I can't always use it, it is a trip by trip deal....

Originally Posted By: kylekrm944What a bonehead move to be out on a trip without night vision!!!

I just went over and picked up a set for my KY/TN trip.

I can't always use it, it is a trip by trip deal....

Where in Tn? I live here, know wildlife officers, and can't get on a hog. Tn doesn't even have a season meaning you can't hunt them here without filling out the correct paperwork (not sure if outfitters can still operate or not under the new law) We are not covered up here, but still I'd like to know where you are going to go kill hogs, I'm trying to find a place to go somewhere's else.

I am headed out to FT Campbell, KY/Clarksville TN area. On the weekend of July 20, if we can't find a Place near us, we're gonna drive to the Mississippi Delta- start near Yazoo City.

Back