Your favorite round for hogs?

Tonester

Hello all,

I wanted to ask the hunters on this board about their favorite ammo for hogs. I just wanted to gain some knowledge. I was curious if anyone has a favorite round or perhaps bullet that works well?

I am new to hog hunting & using Barnes 110gr TSX for hogs at the moment.

we hunt hogs in tight cover here. I use an open sighted Remington 7600 (pump) 30-06 with a 220gr. Remington corloct bullet for bear and hog hunting. a little over kill on the smaller ones but 200 plus pounders its just right if you want to hammer it down right there so you dont have to worry about getting dogs bit by bear our stabbed by hog tusks. most game in that sport is shot at while it is running thru the brush. in big game rifles me and my ole man has always liked corloct bullets

Hand rolled 125 Sierra Prohunters atop 50.5 grs of W-748 in my 308. 50 gr btips in AR15 cause they are accurate and they are my coyote loads. I have killed hogs with them.
If I am going hog hunting I always take the 308 in case I see a magnum. I don't like trailing them and I like to shoot at 300 plus every chance I get.
According to the main man at the property, a guy on my hog lease killed one that was 265 last year that had seven 5.56 rounds in him that had healed over. One broke the top blade off a vertebrae in his back, a couple in his hams, one against a vertebrae in his neck and several in his shield. I saw pics of the hog but wasn't there when they dug em out. If that is all true that's another reason for me to carry the 308 only.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skullcreek
According to the main man at the property, a guy on my hog lease killed one that was 265 last year that had seven 5.56 rounds in him that had healed over. I saw pics of the hog but wasn't there when they dug em out. If that is all true that's another reason for me to carry the 308 only.

A customer at my gun counter one day said that he shot a hog(unknown weight) 3 times inside a hundred yards with a "7 Mag" and the hog never flinched. I wasn't there to see it, but if that is true.......

I've killed truckloads of 200-250lb'ers with a 55gr Barnes TSX and lately have been using the Winchester 64gr XT.

Chupa

If he didn't flinch he probably missed and the hog was deaf. I've shot them in the chest with a 7mag and btip and had them squeal, get up and run, but they died.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chupathingy
I've killed truckloads of 200-250lb'ers with a 55gr Barnes TSX and lately have been using the Winchester 64gr XT.

Chupa

Don't the truck drivers get pissed ?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Chupathingy

Chupa

Don't the truck drivers get pissed ?

No! Oddly enough, truck drivers for what ever reason seam to prefer 200-250 lb'ers.

Chupa

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: AubreyD.I have killed more hogs with a .17HMR than any other rifle I own. Right in the ear hole and down like a sack of potatoes.

All at 300 YDS. :
lol.gif
lol:

Originally Posted By: AubreyD.I have killed more hogs with a .17HMR than any other rifle I own. Right in the ear hole and down like a sack of potatoes.

Yes sir have seen it myself. One of the biggest pig I've ever seen was shot in the ear with a 17 hmr at 70 yards. Dropped him dead

Well, you said "favorite".
My favorite round is a 10mm in a 1911 or Glock 29 sf.
I use catahoulas for followup shots.
Second choice is a 300blk in an ar.

Back