Hogs vs. coyotes

Kizmo

Question for you hog experts:
The coyotes on the places I hunt have dried up completely. I would like to think I am a victim of my own success. However, all of these places are now overrun with hogs to the point that I've had to take up hog hunting at the rancher's behest. I've killed 9 hogs over 100 lbs. on my main coyote place since February and haven't even made a dent in the population. The ranchers are seeing zero coyotes, but may see up to 40 hogs in a day out there.

Do hogs run coyotes off of a place?

I say no. I seen 4 coyotes yesterday while pig hunting a place that has tons of hogs. They won't hurry to interact with hogs though. They love my kill pile. I have seen two yotes drag a 150 pound pig 60 yards into the cedars. What your seeing is reproduction rate of the hog. Now if they are there doesn't mean they won't get up one morning and walk off your property for months. I say let the yotes rest kill the hogs and when they dry up then go back to yotes.

Originally Posted By: dwaI say no. I seen 4 coyotes yesterday while pig hunting a place that has tons of hogs. They won't hurry to interact with hogs though. They love my kill pile. I have seen two yotes drag a 150 pound pig 60 yards into the cedars. What your seeing is reproduction rate of the hog. Now if they are there doesn't mean they won't get up one morning and walk off your property for months. I say let the yotes rest kill the hogs and when they dry up then go back to yotes.

Yep, and the hogs are tastier than the coyotes any way.

Chupa

I don't know of the hogs in Texas are like they are here but we can be covered up with hogs and two weeks later they move somewhere else. Enjoy the hogs while it is hot. I have better luck with the coyotes when its cold.

Originally Posted By: skullcreekI don't know of the hogs in Texas are like they are here but we can be covered up with hogs and two weeks later they move somewhere else. Enjoy the hogs while it is hot. I have better luck with the coyotes when its cold.

Same scenerio in Texas for the most part.

Chupa

I got some farm property I hunt from time to time the owner doesn't want me killing coyotes cause the eat the little hogs. his thinking is of the two evils the coyotes don't' tear up his field of milo yet eat what does

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: dwaI say no. I seen 4 coyotes yesterday while pig hunting a place that has tons of hogs. They won't hurry to interact with hogs though. They love my kill pile. I have seen two yotes drag a 150 pound pig 60 yards into the cedars. What your seeing is reproduction rate of the hog. Now if they are there doesn't mean they won't get up one morning and walk off your property for months. I say let the yotes rest kill the hogs and when they dry up then go back to yotes.

Yep, and the hogs are tastier than the coyotes any way.

Chupa

Never tried coyote, what does it taste like ?

Never tried coyote, what does it taste like ? [/quote]
=================================================================
Chinese buffet "chicken on a stick" !
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: Flyrod1

Chinese buffet "chicken on a stick" !
tt2.gif

Funny, those places get kind of upset when you refer to that as
Rat on a Stick. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: AlexanderWallerI see a coyote with a small hog every now and then, (20-70lbs), but I don't think they mess with each other much.

Id beg to differ. while maybe the case in most instances, I did find a small hoglit hoof in some yote [beeep] the other day.

I dont think they run them off, but if it is a really dense pig population could disperse the yotes a little.

Back