Ruger blackhawk or S&W 686+

tjf76

Need help trying to decide between these two for home defense and woods carry. Please help a brother out. I have smaller hands so will the 686 grip be too big?

Hard to go wrong with either. A 686 is hard to beat in the home defense line of work. For woods plinking hard to go wrong with either especially a 5.5 to 6.5 inch blackhawk. So the correct answer it to get both. What do I win?
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LimomakerHard to go wrong with either. A 686 is hard to beat in the home defense line of work. For woods plinking hard to go wrong with either especially a 5.5 to 6.5 inch blackhawk. So the correct answer it to get both. What do I win?
grin.gif

I was thinking the same thing but only have enough cash for one

I have a 4" 686, and my kid had a 6" 686. I went with the shorter one cause I carry it sometimes and the shorter barrel and holster don't hang below my jackets as much as the 6" would. Both guns are great, I have no experience with any Rugers so just S&W in this family. I keep my 686 loaded with Hornady 140gr. XTP's for defense.......

Originally Posted By: tjf76Need help trying to decide between these two for home defense and woods carry. Please help a brother out. I have smaller hands so will the 686 grip be too big?

The S&W being a double action revolver would be hands down better for home defense than the single action Ruger IMHO. Pick it up and pull the trigger. No having to cock the hammer back as on the Ruger. Not to mention that should you need to (God forbid) reload and keep shooting the DA Smith would again be much faster. Both fine weapons for the woods but the stainless Smith would win me over here too if the Ruger is a blued gun.

The 686 is built on what is known as the "L" frame which uses the same grip frame as the "K" frame Smiths do. Therefore you can get some relatively petite grips for the smaller hands. Many companies make them as well so take your pick.

I carried a 4" 586 on duty for many years. Did not hesitate to carry it into a potential gunfight every shift when I went on patrol. I would take it over the Blackhawk for self defence.

The 686 hands down. It can always be fired single action but the Blackhawk can never be a double action. I have both a 4 in Colt and a 6 in Blackhawk and I can not remember the last time the Ruger was out of the safe for anything other than a cleaning. The accuracy of the 4 in barreled gun exceeds my skill level. The Ruger is a great gun, but given the task of home defense, there are better choices.

I liked my 4" 686 with Hogue Monogrips much better than the wood target grips, they were too fat at the bottom. The 4" will pack and hide better than the 6" too. Mine was a woods bummer and it sat on my nightstand.

I traded it for a Ruger SBH 44 for the woods and then picked up a used S&W 65 for the nightstand.

i have killed three deer and 8 javs with my 686. some over 100 yards. i prefer the 686. it is more money. the ruger is a good gun. i prefer the quicker hammer fall of the double action.

I am by no means a ruger guy, but I have a stainless hunter in a 44mag and I can say one thing, when the nuclear bomb goes off that pistol will still work. The rugers definetly need a bigger grip but I bought mine to pack in bear country and it serves it purpose.

I would advise the Smith. I have had 4 and it should Ruger Super Blackhawks in a row that were defective.
#1 Barrel split on first shot. Ruger replaced the barrel, but it didn't feel tight and had poor accuracy.
#2 had a constriction in the barrel where the barrel went through the frame.
#3 shot 2 feet high at 25 yards.
#4 had a ridiculously rough barrel.
#5 Ruger is sending me another replacement and it should be here Monday. I have already instructed my FFL to sell it.

If you want a good pistol I would buy the Smith. If you want to roll the dice I will make you a good deal on a brand new Ruger. Ha!

I have the 5" pro series S&W and love it, placed 4th out of 12 guys with it against semi autos. It is cut for moonclips already too.

Back