SPUHR SP-4006 mount
Atlas v8.1 bipod
TAB gear sling

Gradous Rifles
Surgeon 591R
Surgeon DBM
Bartlein 5R MTU 1:10" finished at 20" .308 win
Jewell trigger
McMillan A5 w/ KMW ACP Tan, white, yellow, grey (not sure of percentages)
All metal Cerakoted flat dark earth
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 NPR1 HS ZS
Nightforce 1.00" UL rings
Holland bubble level
Atlas v8.1 bipod
TAB gear sling

Last edited:
Wow Bob, impressive
Those cost more than my first house
lol.gif
lol.gif

I proposed this YEARS AGO and it didn't happen.

The idea is to have pics/info only. PIC after PIC, after PIC. NOT COMMENTS..........
grin.gif

Same as the sticky thread that we have have in the Knives forum. If you don't have a pic/rifle to post, then DON'T POST.........Thank you for your cooperation
laugh.gif

Not to be an a$$...but how are guys that have zero idea where to start on building their own supposed to learn if they can't ask questions or comment? You have guys that are greatous enough to post their amazing creations on here...why not ask them about things specifically pertaining to there builds to help influence their own?

I've posted this one before, but it fits for this thread I think. Thanks OT for making this happen.

Details:

Remington Model 7 Action (Originally .17 Fireball)
Rock Creek .20 Cal Barrel 1:12 finished at 25".
HS Precision Stock
Trued Action
Surface Ground Recoil Lug
Lapped Bolt Lugs
Trigger Job
Chamber cut as .20 VarTarg w/ .232 Neck, zero freebore
Action bedded and free floated barrel
All work done by Bob Green

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x44 Scope with SF

DSCN1045.jpg

Here is the first shooting I did with it. No break in. About 5 shots to get it on paper and then I started dialing it in.

8a4974c6.jpg

Remington 221 FB Brass, FL sized to 20VT, Remington 7 1/2 Primers.

Large Target - 5 shots to sight in using 32gr V-Max and 18.4gr of H4198 (.758 - .204 = .554)

Top Left - 5 shots 32gr V-Max and 18.0gr of H4198 (.715 - .204 = .511)
Left Middle - 5 shots 32gr V-Max and 18.2gr of H4198 (.526 - .204 = .322)
(For some reason, it looks like only 3 shots hit the paper. Can't explain that one.)
Bottom Left Corner - 5 shots 32gr V-Max and 18.4gr of H4198 (.505 - .204 = .301)
Bottom Center - 5 shots 32gr V-Max and 18.6gr of H4198 (.804 - .204 = .600)
Bottom Right - 5 shots 32gr V-Max and 18.8gr of H4198 (.931 - .204 = .727)

Average group size = .503
Hits just a hair over 3600fps.

Note: These are MY loads in MY gun so please, don't duplicate them.

Smokin250:
Originally Posted By: OldTurtleAsking questions is one of the main purposes of the whole forum...Just expect to get a variety of opinions and that is one reason this thread is pretty well restricted to answers from those that have first hand experience with custom builds...

I think thats why this was set up but just let these guys that have built many customs answer your questions that have experience shooting them. Not just someone who thinks they know about them...Jason

Last edited:
Well, not much left stock on my 243. Started its life as a 243 SPS Varmint. Ran it for a few years and changed things as they bothered me and as I could afford them. Had some good fortune and won some prizes and gift certificates that went toward the build. Most of the parts are not considered high end, but seem to function well and were a good improvement over factory. Since my move and shoot style mostly mimics that of the tactical crowd, my build went more that direction.

I rebuilt it to be a prone groundhog hunting rig. It was built around the 87gr. V-max and 87gr. Berger VLD'S. Velocity wasn't a huge concern, but I wanted it to be a solid 500yd gun with hopes to run it to 700 if the occasion arrived. I was hoping to keep it carryable, so I was hoping for 15lbs or less. It came in around 14.5lbs if I remember right.

PICT0242.JPG

Initial load testing with less than 25 rounds down the new barrel with the VLD'S.
loads%202and3%201-29-12a.jpg

Was shooting beer cans at 470yds with it yesterday while meeting another PM member.

Remington SPS Varmint action
Bartlein Remington Varmint contour barrel at 28". 4 groove with 243win chamber, first 3" on chamber end have no taper.
Badger Ordinance bolt knob and 0 MOA base
Seekins 30mm med rings
Vortex Viper PST 6x-24x-50mm side focus SFP with MOA reticle and turrets
B-square rail mounted bubble level
Eagle stock pack
Bell and Carlson A2 medalist stock
Bedded in Marinetex and all metal done in Coyote Tan Cerakote by Controlled Chaos Arms
Action and bolt squared, over size lug, threads cleaned up, barrel chambered and installed by Bartlein.
Badger base bedded with JB Weld
Rifle Basix LV-1K trigger. Supposed to be set to 10oz from factory
Factory BDL bottom metal
Atlas V8 bipod with all the accessories B-T Industries makes including mounting rail
Sinclair "bobsled" for single shot
TAB gear shooters sling

Shooting 87gr V-maxes with 36gr. of IMR 4064 and CCI LRM primers out of Lapua brass. Last chrono was around 3180fps.

My other custom.

Details:

Remington Model 700 Action (Originally .223 VS)
Shilen Match Grade .172 Cal, 1:9" Twist finished at 25"
HS Precision Stock
Trued Action
Surface Ground Recoil Lug
Lapped Bolt Lugs
Sako Style Extractor Installed
Trigger Job
Chamber cut as .17 FireBall w/ .204 Neck, zero freebore
Action bedded and free floated barrel
All work done by Bob Green

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x40 with Target Dot

ff431e5f.jpg

fb3b5889.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Savage Striker Accurized and trued
260 Remington tight neck
18" Kreiger barrel
XLR frame
AI Mag
Holland lug
Weaver Tac 20 MOA base
NF rings
PST 6x24x50 FFP scope
SPOOK done work.
260_remy.jpg

Last edited:
Reading everyone's posts a seeing what everyone has done and why they have done it has got me thinking some, and again as i have previously mentioned i have no knowledge on where to begin with a semi-custom build. Tim has helped me greatly, recently. I figured i would gain more ipinions as well since i have made my mind up some since him and i have talked last.

I currently have a 700 sps V in 22-250 with a HS stock, and nikon Buckmaster 6-18. I have evaluated my needs, and decided instead of "building" a new gun in a larger caliber, that i most likely will never use, that it would be a smarter bet to take my current favorite rifle and upgrade it as ARCOREY did. I would like to go with a 22-250AI, most likely sticking with shooting the 50 gr noslers i use now. However i would like to some day have one with a fast twist for the heavy boys...even though i have zero need for it.

What kind of money would i have to spend to get a quality barrel installed and have all the necessary smith work done...also, can i stick with my HS stock, or would it be worth it to upgrade? Is there something that would even be a significant upgrade? Jewel trigger, timney?? Other brands? Why?

I have tossed ideas back in forth in my head on optics, i am tossed between a vxIII 6.5-20, vortex, and going all out with NF.

I use the gun mainly for punching paper, but it goes coyote hunting here and there (i have AR i mainly use). Also, possibly out west for prairie dogs once a year at most. I would like to get into ground hog hunting as well.

I am on a limited budget, as i am sure most guys are, and would like to have something that's a step or two above what i have now, but cant to go drop thousands and thousands of dollars either.

Where would you do, and why, and how much $$?

Smokin250:

When I built a my 6mm Ackley I really wasn't planing on it. I was talking with my gunsmith I use and he mentioned he had some barrels he had made that didn't shoot what the customer wanted so the went different routes. So he hooked me up with a very low round fluted Douglas barrel. He trued my action, sold me the barrel and installed it for around $400. So I say go talk with your local smith. He may have some good stuff laying around. You never know...Jason

Smokin250,
if you could make it up to Rayner's Range near Zanesville the last weekend of any month you could see about any kind of rifle you could imagine.
You could shoot mine, and probably about half of the rifles there after the shoot was over. Some of the guys leave right after the shoot, but some of them live pretty close and they stick around and shoot after most folks leave.
I drive 4 hours to shoot there almost every month. I think you are probably closer than that.
thumbup1.gif

Problem is i don't know of any smiths around here...so i will have to send everything out. Not huge issue though.

FW707- I will get in contact with you...i will have to come do that.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Problem is i don't know of any smiths around here...so i will have to send everything out. Not huge issue though.

FW707- I will get in contact with you...i will have to come do that.

No smiths around here either and I send everything out, and your right it's no big deal.

FW707 is a tremendous guy. He has helped me out so many times it's not even funny. Listen to what he has to say
thumbup.gif
He knows his stuff, even though he may tell you he doesn't.

His rigs are first class all the way. He's one of the guys I run ideas by when planning a build. He's the one that put me in touch with a couple of smiths too.

Thats awesome, thanks buster, and again thanks FW707. I fully intend on meeting him for a shoot soon, when work allows of course...we are SLAMMED...which reminds me, got to go to job meeting.

220 Swift
26" Krieger barrel
Remington varmint contour
1 in 8 twist
3/16 wide flutes
Cerakoted Graphite black
Bighorn Tactical action
Jewell trigger
HS Precision detachable magazine
Manners MCS-TA stock,Coyote Tan
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X32 velocity reticle
Weight with sling and ammo 12lbs 8ozs
Gunsmith.....Jon Beanland

(Lesson learned the hard way)....You can not use stock BDL bottom metal with a Bighorn tactical action.

And yes........I pulled a shot!!!

22-243
26" Krieger barrel
Remington varmint contour
1 in 8 twist
Stiller Predator action
Jewell trigger
HS Precision detachable magazine
HS Precision stock
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X32 velocity reticle
Weight with sling and ammo 11lbs 7ozs
Gunsmith....Jon Beanland

(Lesson learned the hard way)....A Bighorn Tactical action will not fit this stock because of the bolt sweeping rearward.

Back