Arrow Weight Short Draw Length

zachvu

I'm looking for a few opinions on what y'all think about arrow weight, kinetic energy, etc. I have a 26.5" draw length, and shoot a just over 70 lb Hoyt Ultramag. I'm looking for an arrow to start shooting for target, elk, and deer. My biggest worry is the arrow weight vs an elk. I am currently shooting CE Blue Streak Selects and absolutely love them. However, the overall weight (tip, veins, and all) is 367. So the questions...

What weight should I try to hit for elk? I'm thinking 425 is a fairly good number? How much speed loss for increasing the weight that much? Opinions are much appreciated!!

I always want heavier arrows. But if the arrow you have is accurate and arrows fly great with a good broadhead use them. Accuracy trumps extra weight.

Your arrows now will get it done but i would limit distance, wich is something thats hard to do with elk. Id bump the weight up to atleast 425. With your short draw length you cant be shooting very fast speeds. A heavier arrow carries a lot more energy out to farther distances. If it wont effect your arrows spine try adding some brass inserts to bump up the weight.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.I've always been a proponent of heavy arrows for hunting with any bow.Better penetration,quieter and much easier on the limbs.

+1

I went with the Easton Injexions. They are quite a bit heavier, and put me over 400g. I also had to add an inch and half because the Ram Cat broadheads are a little bigger than the Wac Ems that I was using. All in all, I should be at a pretty good weight now! Time to get it all dialed in and ready for the year...drew an elk tag and a deer tag, so it should be a good season!!

I also noticed the heavier arrows seem quite a bit quieter...I didn't think that weight would make that much of a difference!

They are quieter because they absorb more energy from the bow instead of the energy getting wasted. Wasted energy gets absorbed back into the bow and causes noise. Sounds like you will have a exciting season.

Penetration difference is unreal between the old arrows and the new! I have the targets setup in front of hay bales just in case I miss, and had an arrow go through the corner of the target, through two bales, and through the wall of our brand new barn...Not exactly how I wanted to verify the kinetic energy levels, but now I know
smile.gif

i have killed many elk with arrows in the 360gr range. out to 64 yards. never had any trouble with penetration.

most of my arrows blow right on out the other side with ranges from 25 yards to 64. the only ones that did not exit were ones that hit large bone. my arrows are running only 290 fps.

+1 the 360 range is good enough. Im in the same boat with a 27in draw. My arrows are almost the same weight as yours. You be fine with what you have.

Originally Posted By: 6724i have killed many elk with arrows in the 360gr range. out to 64 yards. never had any trouble with penetration.

most of my arrows blow right on out the other side with ranges from 25 yards to 64. the only ones that did not exit were ones that hit large bone. my arrows are running only 290 fps.

I'd concentrate on the sharp thingy on the end more than weight. A 360 grain arrow with a good broadhead will KILL! I use to work at a bow shop and the big question was heavy and slow vs light and fast. If an arrow blows clean through an animal, the only thing left is to measure how deep its stuck in the ground. A good sharp broadhead is the answer! JMO

Back