Custom Rifle Blueprints

CZ 527 American
Pac-Nor 3grove 9twist SM in 17FB finished at 22".
Magazine and bottom metal modified by RVB
James Calhoon bolt handle.
Glass bedded in factory stock.
3.5-10 VX3III in med Warns.

The old girl may not be much to look at, but will still get the job done.

The original rifle was built by an AMU armorer for a retiring Marine Colonel, using a pre-64 Winchester mod 70 Target barreled action,chambered for the venerable 30-06. I purchased it from the 2nd owner and put some 6500 rounds through the original barrel.

When the Winchester barrel gave it up, I shipped the rifle to David Sullivan, who was still with Mark Chandlin at the time and had a new barrel installed and the action pillar bedded.

Mark Chandlin ss barrel, length 26"
Muzzle Diameter .790"
Dry weight is 13# w/sights
Original Winchester trigger tuned to break @ 3.5#

The rifle is now on the third barrel, which acording to my records and calculations amounts to roughly 17,000 live rounds on the action and at least twice that many dryfired "rounds" (w/o benefit of snap caps), making for the smoothest bolt gun you ever hope to pick up.

This target was shot at 100 yards from prone position using iron sights and no artificial support in a practice session. The 20 shot group measures .982".

The rifle was also responsible for the 15 holes shown in this 3" spotter disc placed in each succesive bullet hole at 600 yards in an NRA sanctioned XTC match. The 15th shot blew the spindle out.

In case anyone ever wondered why the pre-64's earned the nickname "The Rifleman's Rifle", not a single part has been replaced on this rifle other than the barrel(s).

Regards,
hm

The first "custom" I did was a 788 Rem. It was a factory 223 I bought from a Pawn Shop and it had seen better days. I sent the barreled action to Van Horn Custom rifles to have the action trued up and an Olympic barrel installed. The barrel is chambered in 17 Rem. and finished at 20" using the same contour as the original 223 barrel. The trigger is the factory Remington that I reworked and breaks at 2.5lbs. The wood stock (camo painted) is the original 788 stock with a bunch of wood removed. This sucker still weighs a ton. It would probably bring more money at the scrapeyard than its rifle value!
scared.gif
It is a very good shooter with H3223 and 25gr. Genco's.
Rem788-4-1.jpg

The next custom I did was a 22lr. rimfire and it was based on a 581S action. The action was trued up, lugs were lapped, firing pin shortened and reshaped, and the action threaded. A Remington 541T barrel was lapped, threaded, chambered to a Win. 52D, recrowned to 11degrees, finished at 21". A Remington 3 screw trigger was reworked and breaks at 9 oz. Then it was all pillared bedded into an old Bishop stock by yours truely. The picture shows it with a Leupold 2-7 rimfire scope, but a Burris Mini 6X AO scope in Leupold low rings is its actual setup. I call it the "wannebe" 541 Rem., but it is my idea of the perfect Squirrel rifle. Its consistent under .5" groups at 50yds. with many different brands of 22lr. is totally amazing. Most of the work was done by Bryan Voelker.
I've done several rimfire customs through the years, most of them based on the Rem. rimfire actions. Customizing a sporter weight rimfire has been a favorite hobby of mine.

Voelkerized-21.jpg

RemSakoTarget.jpg

The latest custom I've done was a long thought out lightweight Predator rifle. I always found it frustrating that manufacturers considered an ultralight rifle to weigh around 7lbs (before rings,bases, and scope) and they had to shorten the barrels to 20" or less to achieve it.
cursing.gif
So I started pricing lightweight parts and stocks wanting to build a 22" barreled rifle in a fur friendly caliber that weighed under 7lbs. ready to hunt. Holy Smokes, diet plans are very expensive!!
scared.gif
I had planned on using a model 7 as a donor to this cause, but man, to get it under my desired weight would require a carbon fiber stock and my gosh those things are over priced. Sooooo, the first thing I did was buy a Kimber Montana in 204. Oh boy, oh boy was that a good move. These things will shoot. All setup ready to hunt at 6lbs. 3oz. Perfect........well not quite.......I'm a 17 cal. lover and they don't make it in that caliber. Not a problem, I ordered another one, had the action squared, the lugs lapped, a titanium bolt handle installed and a Lilja #1 barrel chambered in 17 Rem. installed. The #1 is the same contour as the original Kimber barrel and I had it finished at 22", same as the factory barrel. I wanted this whole package to weigh the same as the 204 I have. We missed it by 1oz. The factory Montana stock is Carbon Fiber and pillarbedded from the factory, but I had it skim bedded to make sure the new barrel and reworked action bedded perfectly. I'm using a Talley Lightweight mounting system with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36 scope, finished it with a vero vellini sling. 6lbs. 4oz total weight.
grin.gif
Perfect.
DSCF4346.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Kimber17Targets.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another 17Rem (700 Classic) with trued action and P-N 3grove 9twist SM finished at 22".
It's hardly a "custom" though unless you consider my pillar bedding and trigger tuning custom work.
Scope's a 2.5-8 VX3 in low Talleys.
Shoots in the "2's" all day long when I do my part:)

I would like to see some post as to what their objective was in building a particular rifle and was it met. Such as wanting to build a rifle under 8# all scoped up, wanting to shoot a certain weight bullet so many fps....etc

Love the ideas guys, keep them coming

6.5 X 47 Lapua
24" barrel spiral fluted by Kampfeld Custom
Krieger 8.5 twist, #5 Contour
Bighorn Sporter action
McMillan Remington Hunter stock 34 Dark Tan/33 Dark Brown/33 Light Gray
Limbsaver Recoil Pad
Talley Lightweight Rings
PT&G Stainless BDL bottom metal
Swarovski Z5
Jewell Trigger
Bead blast finish
Jon Beanland Gunsmith

I built this rifle to be my primary deer hunting rig. As shown it weighs about 9.5#. At this time I have not done very much load development, but the 130 Berger and Varget show promise

Last edited:
.243 AI
Krieger 12 twist, 26" finished
McMillan Edge Stock
Limbsaver recoil pad
Stiller Predator Action
Kampfeld Campfire Knob
Holland .250 recoil lug
PT&G alum BDL bottom metal
Talley LW
Swarovski Z5
Metal and stock Cerekoated Coyote tan
Black Accents
Cerekoting done by Kampfeld Custom
Jewell Trigger
Greg Young Gunsmiths

I built this one with the light 6mm bullets in mind. This gun is light but the 26" barrel makes it a touch to nose heavy for my tastes. Still a great rig thats fun to shoot.

Last edited:
20 Vartarg Turbo
Krieger #4, 11 twist, 24" finished length
McMillan Hunter Stock, 34 Olive/33 Black/33 Light Tan
Limbsaver recoil pad
Stiller Predator Action
PT&G alum BDL bottom metal
Kampfeld Campfire Knob
Holland .250 recoil lug
Metal Olive Cerekote wit black accents done by Kampfeld Custom
Talley LW
Swarovski Z5
Jewell Trigger
Cody's Custom Guns did the smithing

I had a .204 but wanted a custom .20 cal. This gun is an absolute joy to shoot. This is my favorite stock/barrel combo and I really like this blueprint for a hunting rig. The balance is perfect for me and the weight is exactly how I prefer.

As far as the 20 Vartarg Turbo, this is a highly accurate rifle however, the case prep is a bit more involved than I prefer. It is based on .222 but the neck has to be trimmed quite a bit.

21.8 gr of H4198 and a 39 Blitzking will be a little over 3,800.

Accurate fun little rifle.

Last edited:
Brad

That stock color is sweet that came out very nice the stock for my 17-204 has the same colors I hope it comes out as nice

6x47 Lapua
Krieger 8 twist, #5 contour
Spiral Fluted by Kampfeld Custom
Bighorn Action
.250 recoil lug
McMillan Game Scout Stock
Desert Camo
Limbsaver recoil pad
Seekins Rings
Seekins Bottom metal
Jewell Trigger
NF NXS 3.5x15x50 ZS, MOAR
Jon Beanland Gunsmith

I really love the 6mm calibers. I had this one with the 105 bullets in mind. So far, it likes the Berger 105 Hybrid and H4350 powder very well. I really like the Game Scout stock although I do like a drop heel stock, which this does not have. This is a very fun rifle to shoot.

270 WSM
Trued Rem 700 Action
Krieger #5 Contour
HS Precision Stock
Grassland Camo
BDL
Talley LW rings
Swarovski Z3
Jewell Trigger

My best load has been Sierra Gamekings and IMR 4350
The few deer that have been shot with this combo drop like hit by lightning.
I like the pattern of the stock but it scratches very easy. I'm not rough on my guns, its mainly scratches from carrying across my back hiking to and from stands

.223 AI
Krieger #4 contour, 8 twist
Spiral Fluted and cerekoted by Kampfeld Custom
Black metal with Coyote Tan accents
Bighorn Action
.250 recoil lug
Jewell Trigger
McMillan Game Scout 50 Med Tan/25 Black/25 Light Gray
Limbsaver recoil pad
Surgeon Bottom Metal
AICS mag
Seekins Rings
Bighorn 20 MOA base
NF 3.5x15x50 ZS, MOAR
Greg Young gunsmith

You talk about fun to shoot, the 8 twist .223 AI is one of the funnest rounds I've ever shot. My gun loves Varget and 75 Amax bullets. I don't particularly like the 10 round AI mags as far as how long it is and how far it hangs down, but these things feed so sweet you can hardly tell you are chambering a round. If they made a 5 rounder it would be perfect.

I am considering switching out the NXS scope to a NF compact just to save weight.

243Win
Blueprinted SS Rem 700action
SS Krieger 24" #3 8 twist
Mcmillan Rem Hunter
Jewell trigger
Flutted Bolt
Badger bolt knob
SS BDL BM
Holland .250 Pinned recoil lug
Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm HS 600
Tally LW low's
Weight - 8#s 4oz with scope
Smithed buy Beanland Custom Rifles

Last edited:
338 AX Lapua Mag IMP
Trued Remy XP100 action
Trigger job on Remy trigger
Lijia 18" barrel
Pain Killer Brake
Double recoil lug Action
Fluted barrel and Action
McMillian Stock
Near Base
NF 5.5x22x56
4 NF rings
Work done by Kirby Allen
338ax.JPG

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNice rifles guys ! Glad I got mine in before the good stuff showed up !
grin.gif

Brad, I've built a couple with a goal weight in mind.Came real close too.

Approximately how much does your lightweight 223 weigh?

7mm Rem Mag
Blueprinted 700 long action
SS Bartlien MTU contour 24" 5R 9 Twist
Mcmillan A5 Desert Camo
Custom one piece flutted bolt
PT&G .250 pinned recoil lug
Badger M5 Bottom metal
Badger 20 MOA rail
Badger Break
Cerakoted in coyote tan
Seekins Rings
Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm NPR1
Smithed by Phoenix Custom Rifles

162gr Amax, IMR4831SC, CCI 250's,Win Brass

22BR
Blueprinted 700 action.
Kampfield flutted bolt.
Phoenix custom bolt knob with there upgraded firing pin shroud.
PT&G .250 tappered/pinned recoil lug.
Rockcreek 5R 12 twist, RVC, flutted buy rockcreek.
Bedded in a Mcmillan Adjustable A5 in desert swrilly.
BDL BM
Seekins 20MOA rail.
Seekins low rings
Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm.
Smithed by Cody's Custom Rifles

Back