There's hogs, and then there are hogs

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Taking up on a discussion in another thread talking about the difference in hogs depending on how far removed from the domestication they are.

The really big ones are usually not that far removed.

Pretty far removed.
brood_page_050.jpg

Not that far removed.

iron-age-pig.jpg

Pretty far removed"

bigboar9-28-12.jpg

Not so far.

4551104_f520.jpg

That first picture is about as Eurasian looking as I've seen! That is one fine looking pig!

We have some pretty strong Eurasian genetis in our local population:

But lately, we've been seeing some with feral type markings:
we are seeing more and more of these mottled pigs. For years, all we saw looked Eurasian, or at least very close.....
It seems some domestic influence has contaminated the gene pool....
Typical 260ish boar:

F1

That picture of that domestic giant is hilarious. First time I ever saw someone long arm a hog! he looks at least ten feet behind that pig. I want to see their fishing pictures.

This is not my pic, by another forum member, doublecheese, who shot this hog at night in Turkey with a 300 Win Mag, it is not a Russian boar, but a Turkish boar:

dsc00916vt.jpg

Nice classic porcine beast!
grin.gif

Yellowhammer that must be the one I saw on TV. The previous owner was crying because they shot his former pet. The wife said she hand fed him. It was on NatGeo or Discovery. They were debunking hog myths. That turk is a tank. The stump gives it scale.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerIt was a domestic hog that had been running the woods for a while. 1000+ pound domestic hogs are nothing new.

"Big Norm" was 1200 pounds or more.

large_dartnorm2.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pigs#Big_Bill

I'm perfectly aware of how large domestic swine can get. I was referring to the blatant "Forced Perspective" of the photo, much like the ever popular internet 10ft rattlesnake. That kid is in another zipcode in relation to that hog. What I find difficult to understand is that the hog in the picture is obviously a toad! So why the forced perspective? My 700lb hog isn't big enough, lets make him look 1200lbs
glare.gif

Folks, any hog over 220lbs is a goodly sized beast, 300lbs is a toad !

Chupa

"any hog over 220lbs is a goodly sized beast, 300lbs is a toad"

Amen to that! I can't tell you how many times we'd drag them to a scale just to realize that a pig was in 250-275. The ones we get that are toads are gorging on deer food at a whoping 33% protein. I'm sure that under right conditions they can reach some truly ginormous sizes but living out in the brush and having to travel for water usually only allows them to get so big but that's just my .02.

My point was that most that go much over 300 pounds are very close to their domestic roots.

As some have said, a 300+ feral hog is rarer than most people would believe. Most people over estimate the weight of a hog.

Kinda like the narrator on Swamp People grossly overestimates the weights on most of the alligators you see them catching.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerMy point was that most that go much over 300 pounds are very close to their domestic roots.

Yep yep. I contend that it is a very rare instance that a 300+lb'er is a "True" feral hog.

Chupa

I shot this guy 2 years ago during deer season here in MO. There was a wallow close by and he came cruising in, watched him wallow for a bit and gave him a dirt nap right in the wallow. I guessed him at around 235-250 or so. The picture doesn't do justice to how much bristle he had on him and how good his coloration was. There was definitely russian in him

Sadly this is the last hog I have shot there, more have been taken, alot more have been on camera. But I have been in the bad luck boat it seems

Biggest one I have killed was 265 on a feed store scale. Biggest one I've personally seen was 330 without his guts, but he had been cut and released as a young boar and had ample opportunity and relatively easy access to feed on an 8500-acre recreational hunting property.

Back