Lets talk Hog traps

Dice102

I have never built one before, but want to give it a shot. I have access to property in central Mo along the Osage River and have a decent population of hogs. We have probably shot 12 or so in the past year or 2. We have a ton of pictures and sign is everywhere, along with neighbors killing them.... we just have trouble getting on them in the thick sloughs and bottoms they like to hide in. Just came across fresh rooting and a wallow the other day but alas no hogs. I would like to build a trap to try and get some of these elusive suckers. Tips, tricks, instructions would all be appreciated!

Dice,

I have a 20 acre place in Texas years ago with a lot thick bottom land, some springs and 2 creeks.

The hogs were bad and what I did was built a trap out of hog panels and T-posts. 2 -16' panels bent into a circle. I put the t-posts about 4' feet apart at the entrance I let the panels overlap bout 3' with a post at the end of one panel and the other overlapped to the inside with a post bout 4' from the end of it so it would create a V.

in the center of the trap I buried a plastic 5 gal with fermented corn and holes in it. bury it deep, leave a trail of corn through the V. the hogs push right trough the V and it closes behind them with the panels natural spring.

this way they didn't freak out and try to escape they stay quite content.

with this configuration you can move with a 4 wheeler. take the panels down, lay flat, stack your T-posts on top, lash down and drag the another area.

hope this helps.....

I built a large pen trap once, started with a reg hog trap doors wired open both ends and feed daily and added dog fence panels every other day till I had a 20' circle with the trap as the entrance, feed for another week then sat out one night till they can in, tripped the door and killed 18 the first night then 18 again the next night 36 hogs total, the guy had offered me $100 (each)to get rid of them, when I showed him 36 hogs he did the math and about craped,, I told him give me $500 and let me come back and shoot a buck, he was happy.

We welded up a half dozen custom made traps and have two Jager Pro traps with electronic live video feed and remote control of the trap door.

Only problem is once you've trapped a sounder group somewhere, you'll have to move the trap as they won't go into it much again.

Here is a pic of our welded up trap:

Trap%202.jpg

Trap%204.JPG

Trap%203.JPG

We've been having good luck with the "Figure 6" traps, but our best trap has been the root door trap with our own modifications.

Thank you guys for the recommendations..Im still looking into alot of options. I should say [beeep] you for getting me to read a 54 page thread actually haha

Back