calling hogs seminar

guess

I get lots of requests for info on calling hogs. Here is the link to my seminar I did at the World Expo in waco. Look forward to your replies and comments.

seminar

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed the presentation....lots of good info.

Do you offer an instructional DVD that demonstrates the various sounds ?

Also, is there a particular brand or model grunt call that you recommend?

Last edited:
Great seminar! I also would like to see more videos of actual demonstrations of calling and the reasonings behind using that particular call.

Also would like to know if there is a particular grunt tube you recommend.

For us guys who cant afford thermal. How would you recommend hunting them at night. Right now we use a feeder setup but they obviously dont come in every night. Would you suggest calling in that area at night until you hear them coming in and lighting them up with our XLR250s?

How is your success with calling during the day? I know evenings are the best, but whats your experience with daytime calling

Thank you very much

I do not offer any sounds or DVD at this time.

I use the FOXPRO for some locations and situations and if I'm going to cover a lot of country I prefer to pack light and carry a Haydel's HAM-A-SLAMA hog grunt. Any low pitched grunt tube will work.

I hunted hogs for years without night vision or thermal. One method we used in the early days was a spotlight. We would drive private roads{legal in Texas} and when we saw hogs we killed them. Of course many get the hang of the light real quick and run! Using hog sounds near feeders works well. Just last week a guy called me and told me that they had been after a big boar but he always came well after dark. They used my calling method on a foxpro and called him in an hour before dark. Said he came in right to the call.

I have called hogs all hours of the day. If you call near a bedding or nesting area they will come.

Maybe you could break down the calling just a little more clear if you dont mind. I would love to have your knowledge!

During calling, I would like to know more of when, why and how.

Foxpro:

1: What are your favorite and most used sounds

2: I think its covered on the video, but couldnt find it again. How long do you use the call and any specific sequence. I know you said you use squeals as a last resort

Grunt tube:

1: Again, your favorite sounds..I remember Boar courting was a popular one you demonstrated

2: Maybe a explanation of those sounds. Like you mentioned the Boar Courting Sow was like a chainsaw warming up..3 or 4 grunts followed by a quick 4 or 5 grunts, etc

3: Any specific reason you chose to use those sounds ie: You know there is a big boar in the area, so you choose X call. Or there is a big sounder in the group and piglets so you choose X call.

I know myself and alot of the guys on here are very appreciative of you sharing your knowledge and information to help us be more successful. Thank you again

Foxpro:

1: What are your favorite and most used sounds
I have had the most success with sow protection sound. Simply because FOXPRO doesn't offer many hog sounds.

Maybe requests from foxpro fans would encourage a more extensive library of hog sounds.

2: I think its covered on the video, but couldn't find it again. How long do you use the call and any specific sequence. I know you said you use squeals as a last resort

I use sow protection first in most cases. Sometimes sparring boars if I think there is a big boar in the area. I use these sounds no more than 3-4 minutes then switch to the other for a minute or two then back. If nothing comes in by say the 10 minute mark I go to piglet distress for a minute or two then to sow protection.

Grunt tube:

1: Again, your favorite sounds..I remember Boar courting was a popular one you demonstrated

usually I use the boar courting sow because it's easily made, especially if your excited. I also use social grunts and sow protection.

boar courting is a face paced sound like a chainsaw warming up. NO two boars make this sound exactly the same.

Sow protection is a course sounds steady grunt like {harsh} NEVER make only one. It will sound more like a warning woof!

Social grunts are just a contended soft grunt . Again don't accidentally make a woofing sound. IT is a warning.

Boars will respond to any of the mentioned sounds. I still try to use other boars sounds first i.e. breeding sounds or sparring sounds if I' targeting a boar.
Sounders I generally start with sow protection as I just want to get a response from any hog.

Remember none of this is written in stone. the there is never a "never" or "always". There will be variables.

I don't know all there is to know and likely never will. Hogs are constantly changing and adapting to survive in an ever changing environment.

I have two FoxPros Prairie Blasters with extra SP-55 speakers with all the FoxPro hog sounds, this information from Mr. Guess is right on the money. Be sure to stay alert and wack 'em fast when they come in or your E-caller might get smashed if it is on the ground, better to leave it hang from a low limb.

Believe it or not, a sounder group came into Bay Bee Cottontail last weekend at night to see what was going on while I was trying to call in some coyotes that were challenge barking back at me.....

dominate sows will on occaision respond to rabbit distress usually the courser sounds like jackrabbit or mature cottontail. When they do respond the entire family group/sounder usually comes with them. These groups will respond well to piglet distress. However I still suggest using other sounds first when targetting hogs.

Venatic and I were on a predator hunting trip back in January north of Abilene, TX and called in 4 big sows using jack rabbit distress.

The wind was getting up and we went with the jackrabbit because it seems to get out into the wind better. We had 5 does charge in right away, and couple mintues later the 4 sows popping their chops and grunting agressively.

David got two before they could get away. They were hard charging for sure.

IMG_1345.jpg

Thank you for the responses..Im headed down Thursday to try and get on them. We found fresh rooting and another wallow...so Im going back to that area to see if they are still there and try calling them in!

Back