Liver sausage

"Most liver sausage has wa-aa-ay too much fat", according to Victor, the dearly departed old-country sausage artist. I couldn't understand all he tried to tell me about his craft, but Man! He made good sausage!

I'll be watching this thread.

Don't try liver spaghetti sauce.

well..I can dig up a complete recipe if needed, but in a nutshell, take a fresh killed hog head, heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas, lungs.

We split the head, and do not use the brain because of the shot. Remove eyes discard, remove tongue and skin it. Discard jaw bone with teeth in it.

Boil it cast iron kettle, head halves, liver, tongue, heart, kidneys, pancreas, lungs. Takes a while to cook. Only add salt n pepper to taste

Remove all to cool after cooking, keep broth in kettle.

Pick head clean fat and meat, no hide. Cube everything so it will fit your grinder.

We grind fine for stuffing, stuff in too 8"-10" links tied in a circle
Use hog casings, we buy them

Drop all links back into warm broth, bring up heat slowly so you do not split the casings. Cook till almost boiling, do not boil All you are doing here is setting the sausage, and cooking the casing.

Hang rings on a stick and let them drip till cool. Make sure room is cool, below 41...completely cool, wrap and freeze

I eat it fried, add a little rendered lard to help cook it. Not as fatty as you would think

That's pretty much it...Good luck

Last edited:
Back