Where to go hog hunting for free???

newreartire

Hello all! I am a noob to this site and need some wisdom. I live in Idaho and me and some friends from work are thinking along the lines of going on a good hog hunt. We are up for a good road trip, so distance doesn't matter. We aren't really into the "guide thing" and don't want to have to pay to shoot pigs that a farmer wants to get rid of anyway. Does anybody have some great places to go shoot hogs? Thanks a ton!

No place I know of that would turn loose out of state hunters on their land, or even residents they didn't know.

You might have to look for some public land.

Quote: We are up for a good road trip, so distance doesn't matter.....Only because of that statement, I'll throw in that my neighbor here in FL is a big hunter with a air boat (loves to fish too) and he goes to a small hundred acre brushy patch behind a local hospital and brings home a hog just about every weekend...

If you want to come down to E. Central FL, I'll be glad to hook you guys up with him...I didn't buy a non-res. FL license, or I'd have been out with him already...

I go to south Texas every Feb/March for about two weeks. Lately, I've been getting on farms down there loaded with hogs and at no charge. Some farmers want the hogs shot and left to rot, others you can take out of the fields as long as you don't drive across. Two ranches I pay $50 a day to hunt predators and hogs. My choice.
I'm new to the forum but have hunted south Texas for decades. Keep in touch for next year if you're interested.
Oh, BTW, it's a 17hr drive for me, longer from Idaho.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerNo place I know of that would turn loose out of state hunters on their land, or even residents they didn't know.

You might have to look for some public land.

This is very true. I've hunted south Texas for decades. I started out paying and after I got well known, the calls with more access to property started coming in. Now my friends and I hunt for free on most properties. You can tag along some time as I have room at the cabin down there but understand, if they don't know you, you won't get on.

I have been gone for a while. But Thanks a ton Tommy. Holy cow though.... it takes me 24 hrs just to get to Houston from here... I will talk it over with the boys and see what they say! Thanks again.

I have looked at different forums to find property to hunt. I have found that many charge a fee period. It sounds like you may have some luck here. Have you had any luck with the public lands in TX?

Last edited:
I am not trying to offend anyone on here so please dont take offense but here it goes. This is why I wish we had hogs here in Illinois. I know the farmers would hate it but it is the only way I could hog hunt. As much as people say they hate hogs and they are such a nuisense everybody tries to make a quick buck. I am not mad at you because I probably would try to too if I had hogs on my property. I get not wanting to have strangers on your property shooting. It just cracks me up to here people complain about a problem then want to charge you to take care of there problem. I will just keep waiting. I know here in about 5 to 10 years we will have them

People that make u pay dont have a problem them have an operation whether they trust u enough to kill pigs and not shooting a 2 month old calf at night(guy from Minnesota) is up to them.as for goverment land--- Pigs in the grasslands near Denton. Tons of pigs on lake Whitney corp of engineer land,and Seen pictures of un believable pigs off deer hunters trail cams. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwaPeople that make u pay dont have a problem them have an operation whether they trust u enough to kill pigs and not shooting a 2 month old calf at night(guy from Minnesota) is up to them.as for goverment land--- Pigs in the grasslands near Denton. Tons of pigs on lake Whitney corp of engineer land,and Seen pictures of un believable pigs off deer hunters trail cams. Hope this helps

Aquila is covered up in them as well.

Chupa

The problem is the same here. Pigs, Coyotes, Ranchers say they want to be rid of them. I have talked to many that say that they lease the land through a hunting club and to contact them. $$$$ I would think that a club would want someone to thin out predators and pigs to make the Deer Hunting better but it doesent seem to work that way. Its all about Money these days, and ranchers have to make it anyway they can. I dont find them at fault at all. It is their land and they can do as they please. Hunting some areas is indeed becoming a Rich mans sport. Good luck in Texas.. sounds like these Guys have given you a few leads.

Quote:It just cracks me up to here people complain about a problem then want to charge you to take care of there problem. I will just keep waiting. I know here in about 5 to 10 years we will have them

The people who think they are a problem are usually not the ones who are charging. They often let people come on there and trap or shoot them, just usually not some Tom, Dick or Harry who knocks on their door. It is usually someone they know personally that they know they can trust.

This was often brought about by someone who didn't respect the property or the owner when they were let on in the past.

Yeah, here in Oregon the State declares pigs to be an "invasive species, Please Shoot 'Em", and then socks any out of state party $140 per person for permission (er, 'scuse me, a 'License') to even pursue them on our State or Federal land. Private ownership of any parcel of land removes the need for the hunter to obtain permission (or license) from the State; you just need permission from the landowner. Real respect for ownership goes a long way toward future access. Unfortunately, rural Oregon (where the pigs are) is a bit defensive because of abuses from the Centralized Land Use Planning of the State, from urbanites, from hotshot outsiders (overconfident lawyers and invasive high-energy Californians) and from the urban special interest groups that ruin the places other people live, the places those rurales truly love and call their own. (Freudian typo there.)
Just ..... be respectful, not disappointed or bitter, if you are turned away. With all the costs that come from our litigious urban population, I'm surprised we can still hunt at all. Sorry; I live in (vegan) Portland. And Portland is a hostile territory for those of us who like to shoot, let alone hunt. Sorry 'bout the rant. Maybe I'm all wet. I just have to get out to my farm, rassle with some new laws and regs, and confront some destructive 4wd trespassers this week. Maybe I should just turn loose some pigs.

Back