Canada Invaded!

TV-PressPass

Five years ago you'd have a hard time finding hogs in Canada. But they are definitely a worsening problem now.

We've seen a bunch of stuff lately in the news up here about Wild Boar loose in Alberta and Saskatchewan (our prairie provinces with lots of farmland) that are becoming a more serious environmental and economic threat than we're really prepared for. Northern Alberta has some pretty vast swathes of un-occupied land, as does Saskatchewan.

Currently there is no government bounty, but no license required either. There just aren't enough hunters to push back against the growing population.

A local agricultural professor has started tracking the wild boar population, which has lead to maps like this:

603875_572289616138198_1091402463_n.jpg

I'm thinking about trying to put together some dedicated hog hunts after talking to landowners and consulting the map.

My question to the predator masters community is:

What basic steps should be under taken to improve the chances of a successful hunt?

How many shooters do you usually need?

How much prescouting time is necessary?

Is there an ideal time of year and ideal time of day (2am!) to be out there?

Last edited:
you could drive and scan with your nv gear and spot and stalk, that is was most do here in TX, or set up feeders if allowed, they are active all year long, but will follow the planting and fields ready for harvest, follow the food source!,, and water

Food source and water is a good point! From what I'm learning, we might end up in spaces without roads though
frown.gif

Wonder how they'd react to the sound of ATVs? Hard to know without going out there to check it out!

I'll have to look into the rules for baiting. I know we can bait bear, but not coyote . . .

If its super thick Bring them to u with a pig pipe or buried some type of feed. Use a game camera set up on them and shoot em. In open spot treat it like you were hunting deer spot and stalk.

Back