7mm Reloading help

#LHB#

So I was going to buy a truck/varmit gun and just found out from a buddy of mine that he has a 110 savage 7mag that he doesnt want and said he would sell it to me for $150. So was wondering if anybody had ever loaded 115 to 120 grain bullets into a 7mag for coyote hunting and could give me a little info about them. I want it accurate and wicked when it hits. I dont care what happens to the pelt just want them dead. Anything less than cruse misile destruction is unacceptable. Also what about primer and powder? Never done any reloading so any help would be great.Thanks

I loaded some 120 gr vmax that shot decent. Wouldnt win any competition with them but definitely minute of coyote. Probably could have done more work up with them but I didn't wanna put the effort in it. I used RL19 and cci primers. Get yourself a reloading manual and read up. Take it easy and don't start loading max to start out. Good luck finding components powder wise.

Last edited:
For $150 I'd buy it if in O.K. or better shape. You should do fine with some version of 120 grn bullets. You could even use a somewhat faster(for the 7mm mag) rifle powder & download a bit.

120g is magic in numerous 7 mags that I and brothers have owned with this load:

120g
72.0g of R#22
CCI250 Primer(very important)
Rem case
Bullet seated to touch the lands

1/2" groups and less are the result.

My Weatherby Vanguard (old made in Japan model) didn't like the really light bullets But shoots a Speer 130 BTSP realy well.

the savage has an excellent reoutation for accuracy. i would start with the 120 balistic tip and the accuracy load from the nosler manual.

Man I love the 7mmMag. I'm a fan of the 140's just absolutely the best of speed with out the punishing recoil of the 150s and up and still a heavy enough bullet to knock the local whitetails on there butts where they stand. I would see if the 120s shoot well in that rifle and try some 140s if they don't. 140gr Nosler BT bullets, CCI primers, and RL-22, or Hodgen Hybrid 100V, any brass will do fine. Good luck.

Since you don't care about pelts any bullet that shoots will be fine. A 7mag is not your typical yote blaster but I have hunted yellow dawgs with my 300 Wby in West Texas where i thought I might get a real long shot. I used 150 gr Hornaday Spire Points. Sounds like a great deal : have fun. I too have had good luck with the Speer 130gr boatail soft point in my 7-08. Might be a good bullet to try.

I would stay with the 130+ weight. It will be a better long range load. My bil shoots 120 Hornadys in his and I saw him shoot a deer with it at 300 yards. I was not impressed with it, though, and the 139 will perform better at long range.

Where I live we dont have very far to shoot. 500 max and more like 100-300 yards in general. I'm not sure what the twist is on that barrel. Does anyone know what the 110 twist rate is?

Last edited:
Try these two loads:

120g Nosler
72.0g of R#22
Rem brass
CCI250 primer
Bullet to just barely touch the lands
should be between .300-.450 with three shot groups
120g Barnes Tipped triple shock, jump .050, shoots clover leafs in my rem 700

140g NOsler ballistic tip
65.5-66.0g of IMR 4350
Rem brass
REm 9 1/2 primer
Seat the bullet to touch the lands
This load shoots extremely well in perhaps a dozen Rem 700's and two Savages that I know of.
Bullets should just about all touch

Same load works very well with 140g Tipped and non tipped triple shocks with a 0.050 bullet jump

If you are recoil sensitive and still want to shoot the 7 Mag, there are two loads that I used on Antelope and deer that did not just blow up the antelope and kills deer just fine:

120g Nosler BT or 120g Sierra Spt
59.0-60.0g of IMR 4350
Rem 9 1/2 primer
Rem brass
3000 fps
this load kicks like a 25/06!

140g NOsler ballistic tip
54.0g of IMR 4064
Rem brass
REm 9 1/2 primer
approx. 3000 fps and very little recoil

Not many people know it, but the 139g Hornady flat base is one heck of a BIG deer bullet, the Interlock thing really does hold the base of the core in the jacket, accurate also.

Every rem 700 and Savage in 7 mag that I have ever worked up loads for shot tiny groups with std bullets just barely touching the lands. Berger VLD bullets are another animal in and of themselves, trial and error is the right thing to do with them.

If you will skim coat bed a Rem 700, do a trigger job, freefoat the barrel, and install a muzzle break, your rifle will shoot like a $4500 custom rifle as long as you have a wood, Laminate, or fiberglass stock. If you have a plastic stock of any kind, Pray without ceasing.

Back