Selling Fur in Texas?

WhoCares

I was reading the regs in Tx regarding selling furs. The way I interpreted it was that a recreational hunter is not allowed to sell fur, only if in possession of a trapers license. All furs have to have a CITIES tag for out of state sale. Does this mean I can't sell some bobcat furs I have in the freezer. Anyone from Texas know?

your reading it right, you have to have a trappers lic to sell, and bobcats have to be tagged to leave the state for sale or tanning, you can also not transport a live coyote in or out of state due to the rabies quarantine. there is also a season for trapping and furs for sale can only be taken during that season. to get the cities tag you have to take it to a cities station, the hide can be green or dried.

I buy a trappers lic every year just in case I get a big bobcat or anything worth selling.

Thanks Phil. Some laws in Texas seem truly bizarre to me. I was thinking about refining my terrible skinning skills and had seen several fresh road killed coons. Thinking if they didn't stink too bad that they would be good practice on. Never in my wildest dreams did I think picking up road kill on a country road would be illegal.

I have a game warden friend and asked him about that and deer, his reply was nowhere does it say Buick, Ford, or Chevy as a legal means of taking deer! lOL he had a point!

Quote:your reading it right, you have to have a trappers lic to sell, and bobcats have to be tagged to leave the state for sale or tanning, you can also not transport a live coyote in or out of state due to the rabies quarantine. there is also a season for trapping and furs for sale can only be taken during that season. to get the cities tag you have to take it to a cities station, the hide can be green or dried.

Bobcats have to be tagged to leave the state for ANY reason, not just tanning or sale. If you have a bobat mounted in Texas and move to another state, the mount has to be tagged before crossing the state line.

Bobcat tagging

Sale or Purchase

Bobcats and Coyote are NOT considered fur bearers in Texas. Bobcat and coyotes hides can be sold under a hunting license.

yellowhammer,

some of the regs are really hard to figure as is the logic to them? don't much see the point in tagging a mount? it raises a lot of questions like what if its and old mount before Cities was required? wish they made the regs easier to understand and read. my GW friend said the reg book is as small as possible to save on printing other wise it would be bible size!

kind of makes it hard on us that want to follow the law

CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) tags are only required for animals that can be confused with other species that are endangered.

For example river otters require CITES tags so they cannot be confused with endangered sea otters. Bobcats are tagged with CITES tags so they are not confused with ocelot or other endangerd spotted cats.

A pelt is a pelt reguardleff of whether it is a soft tan, or mount.

Trapping regs in Texas are actually pretty simple if people take the time to read them (see the link to trapping regs.)

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) tags are only required for animals that can be confused with other species that are endangered.

For example river otters require CITES tags so they cannot be confused with endangered sea otters. Bobcats are tagged with CITES tags so they are not confused with ocelot or other endangerd spotted cats.

A pelt is a pelt reguardleff of whether it is a soft tan, or mount.

Trapping regs in Texas are actually pretty simple if people take the time to read them (see the link to trapping regs.)

Yep...

thanks Yellowhammer,

that makes sense about the possible confusion with protected animals and as long as its not leaving the state your mount doesn't need a tag.

Back