Got a boar in the trap tonight.

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I have been killing hogs in a hay field about a mile from the house off and on since Christmas and hoping they wouldn't show up at the house like they did last year.

This past weekend I went to the Predator and Wild Hog Expo in Waco, and on the wahy home Saturday night my wife called to see where I was. I was an hour out, and asked why? She said the hogs are in the back yard, and where here last night too.

So, as soon as I got home I loaded up the 12ga with #4 buckshot and slipped outside again. Sure enough they were within 50 yards of the house. Just as I was trying to draw a bead one of the neighbors drove up at there house, but the hogs didn't pay any attention. It was about 12:30 pm and as soon as I could draw a bead, I let loose. A hog went to squealing and hogs were running everywhere. I fired 3 more and was empty so I had to run into the house for more shells. I came out the back and hogs were still scurrying off and let loose with one more blast. I found one hog but that was it.

Sunday night I started my hog patrols and set the hog trap, but none showed up the next two nights even though I got up several times in the night.

Tuesday night I decided to check the pasture a mile from the house again when my patrols didn't turn up anything. As soon as I parked the truck I could hear them cutting up on the other side of the road in the thick stuff. I tried to get close but they moved off. After 15 minutes of waiting and listening, I headed back to the house. A half mile down the road a big hog ran across in front of me with more behind and I sped up and ran over one killing it.

Nothing was out last night before I went to bed and I could not hear them from the back porch at 2am this morning. But, when I came out of the house this morning at 5 am to go turkey hunting there was a whole herd in the front yard. I sliped up and hit them with the red light and shot into them with the buck shot again and the scattered with me in pursuit. About a hundred yards out I got one in my sights and gave him a blast. I got blood on that one, but the buckshot did not drop him.

Tonight my daughter had a late softball game and when I got in I grabbed a bite and before heading to bed I eased out the back for another hog patrol. About 50 yards out the back door and I could hear something banging the hog trap and went back to house to fetch my .22lr. I had a pretty good size boar in the trap and he treated those .22 bullets in the head like bee stings. I think it took 5 shots before he went down completely.

Then back to the house to get the truck to drag him off and a quick picture, and hear I sit telling about it.

I guess in about 2 hours I will be on hog patrol again. Hogs can be fun to hunt, but they sure are a nuisance when the root the yard like a fresh plowed field.

homehog4-2013_zpscovdhbyf.jpg

Last edited:
I killed this one 175 yards out my backdoor with my T/C .223 with one shot through the lungs:

TC%20Hog7.jpg

These last two weeks or so they have been moving back in again close to the house and I nailed another two with a SIG 716 in the same place:

T50%20Double.jpg

Hog%20Head.jpg

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerThose don't look like they are too long from the hog pen. Our hogs don't look nearly so domestic.

We have a mixture of both here in Florida, the real Spanish hogs that that Conquistadors let loose back in the 1500's and feral hogs like some of these.

The thing about it is that a Hog is a Hog, no matter what it looks like and when they are on my property destroying my land and wildlife, I destroy them.

These big feral hogs are actually more damaging, the rooting holes they make are bigger than a dinner table...

Here are a couple of the old Spanish stock hogs I nailed recently:

T60%20Boar.jpg

3%20Wet%20Hogs.jpg

SIG%20716%20Two%20Hogs.jpg

Yeah, those are more like what we have. Those others are a lot better eating hogs. These rooter hogs don't have much fat at all.

Originally Posted By: Dice102[beeep] the teeth on that one hog....yeah he isn't a generation out of the pen it seems! Keep slayin em!

TC%20Hog%201.jpg

TC%20Hog%205.jpg

Dude weighed over 425 pounds....

Quote: the teeth on that one hog....yeah he isn't a generation out of the pen it seems! Keep slayin em!

The broken whetter (on top) is what allowed that cutter to get that long.

No ferals around here get anywhere near 425.

Yeah totally different genetics.

I have shot a few piney woods rooters that at most are 300 pounds and many ferals that are close to 500 pounds.

Most of the ferals are around 300-325 and most of the Spanish stock rooters are 175-225....

Here is another shot of their tusks:

Hog%20Heads.jpg

March and April are the best months here. Fall and winter they turn nocturnal.

My neighbor sent me a picture this morning. His young daughter shot one yesterday with s .22 mag in the ear. Wasn't but about a 1/4 mile from the house.

Those white hogs are domestic. Maybe got loose but are 110% domestic blood. The structure of the skull is the dead give away. Heads should be more elongated like yellowhammers pic. But hey kill em if they are there.

I know wild & feral hogs pretty well, graduated from veterinary school in 1982 and did graduate work in infectious diseases of wildlife, worked all over the world with exotics, but that was a long time ago before I got into human gene therapy.

I kill 'em all on my property since I do not own a hog farm that I am aware of....lol!!!

Back