First Hog Hunt

ksyotehunter

I am going on my first hog hunt this weekend @ Chain Ranch Outfitters in Canton,Ok. Should I take my .223 ar or my .308 rifle?

If the ar what kind of round should I use? Kind of a last minute trip I have some American Eagle 50 or 55 graind varmint tipped and a boat load of FMJ maybe some soft points.

Do not use the FMJ.... Not a chance in the world. I ave taken hogs with 55 grain soft point from my .223

Hogs can be really tuff animals most people shoot them in the head, but that is not always possible and as a result your better off having a well constructed bullet that is going to penetrate. I would be hesitant of the varmint loads as many are meant to explode. Big hogs get thick armor plates each side an I am willing to be a varmint load is going to have a hard time delivering the energy/shock to the vital through the side plates.

I use hornady 55 gr soft points in my 223 and aim for the head. Or I use my 270 with a 130gr bonded bullet for other shots.

Just take the .308. If you get to hunt hogs frequently, and can afford to be picky on shots or wait for just the right presentation, the .223 is deadly with "neck" shots. However, on a short paid hunt, with potentially limited shot opportunities, I would want to be able to capitalize on pretty much any chance at a shot, thus my recommendation for the .308 with good stout bullets. Don't handicap yourself after spending good money to get there and pay for the hunt.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamJust take the .308. If you get to hunt hogs frequently, and can afford to be picky on shots or wait for just the right presentation, the .223 is deadly with "neck" shots. However, on a short paid hunt, with potentially limited shot opportunities, I would want to be able to capitalize on pretty much any chance at a shot, thus my recommendation for the .308 with good stout bullets. Don't handicap yourself after spending good money to get there and pay for the hunt.
What he said. After a few more hunts, change up and go for head(ear) shots.

I would also use the .308 rounds. If barnes has a .308 tsx, I would use that (reloads). I have not tried the .223 on a hog. They are big & tough - so I prefer a heavier load.

Originally Posted By: TonesterI would also use the .308 rounds. If barnes has a .308 tsx, I would use that (reloads). I have not tried the .223 on a hog. They are big & tough - so I prefer a heavier load.

They are not that tough, my 11 year killed his first one with a knife this weekend.
lol.gif

e7db93ec2e72f7de0479658b50839490_zpsd355766c.jpg

Originally Posted By: MB650They are not that tough, my 11 year killed his first one with a knife this weekend.
lol.gif

I wanna do that!!!
thumbup.gif

308 i hunt hogs year round here in fl.they can take a [beeep] of a hit and keep going.I havetaken a few with my ar's but I prefer a bigger round just in case.good luck!

Oooh weee! Ok, you are right there. I have also stabbed them piggies. They can't hold up against a knife either
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
I would take the 308 I shot one in Texas with a 44 Mag 300grhp in front of left shoulder and out the neck just behind the right jaw. It kind of stumbled and kept running my son shot him in the back of the head running away after trailing him for about 200 yards. When we skinned it you could see clear thru the neck where the bullet when. Hole about the size of a ping pong ball and still needed a second kill shot.

I too would personally use the .308, not that the .223 won't work. I just prefer more gun. I'm not an expert hog hunter, so these thoughts are just my own.

I have a .444 Marlin that has accounted for two hogs. It worked well and put them down. I just seem to prefer larger caliber rifles.

If you hunt from a truck or stand, .308 is a great choice.
If you like ease of carry, light rifle, high capacity, use a .223. 6.5 Grendel is ideal.

I have tried every ammo for a 5.56x45mm/.223 out there. From custom loads to mil ball.
Military ball m193 55 gr seems to be the most consistent ammo for an AR15 on Hogs. It penetrates and yaws out @ an angle different from the path of the shot. Notice in this video, you see the bullet hit the ground just before recoil:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back