Baiting

Well I am letting the crows and eagles clean up the bait.I walked to the bait yesterday and was surprised to see wolf tracks in the snow.If he comes back he will clean it up in a hurry.He ate alot.Its amazing how much a wolf eats.We put a 1500 lbs. dead horse out once and it took 7 days till total clean up.The birds ate alot but the wolves ate the lions share.I came back a week after the meat was gone and every bone and even the skull was gone and no where to be seen.Wolves always hall everything away.3 inches of new snow today.Spring is along time coming this year. have a good summer.Fall wwill be here before you know it.

Ok here's a brain teaser.
Last Sunday I woke up to a coyote having breakfast on the 400yd bait pile, got the rifle, went out on the deck and took care of business.(375 yard shot, coyotes dragged a rib cage closer to the house)lol!
This morning got up to same thing, coyote in the exact same spot as last week. Made the same shot!
The odd part is last weeks was a small female about 25lb, I hit her right behind the shoulder about 2" up from the belly. The bullet made a small entry hole with no exit. Today's was a large male 44lbs, I hit right behind the shoulder about midway up the body and the bullet passed through leaving about a 1 1/2" exit! Same rifle same load (50gr nbt at 3850 fps) im baffled!
I just skinned him out and pulled out a pretty good sized piece of the jacket that was stuck in the hide on the exit side. All I can think is I may have hit some bone or the breast plate on the small one that broke up the bullet more.

In my experience with most every bullet I have ever shot, that is the nature of the beast.

I used to shoot groundhogs a lot with a 22-250, at various distances. I used match hollow point bullets. One would look untouched, no sign of blood, just like it died from a heart attack or something. Yet another would have a gaping hole in the offside.

Currently I'm using a 6x45 for coyotes, shooting 75 gr. Sierra hollow points at a 60-yard bait site. One coyote will have a tiny hole on the offside, while yet another may have considerably larger.

With antelope and deer, I have used a 7mm STW and 140 gr. Barnes TSX bullets. Some show a small hole on exit while others have a nasty wound on the offside.

I think your results are common to most bullets.

By the way, nice shooting.

6mm06, yeah I agree with the "nature of the beast" theory as I too have seen similar results. I just thought it was really odd since everything was so similar between the two shots and the pass through happened on the bigger yote. You just never know I guess.

Double up, I have a shooting bench built into my back deck, got a shooting range that reaches out to 565yards and two bait piles, one at 300yd and one at 400 so I get to practice the shots a lot. With this rifle at 400 I set the horizontal cross hair right at the top of the back and it drops em right in
wink.gif

Also if anyone wants to chime in here, I've been trying to use the quote feature on this site and can't seem to figure it out. I only have access with my phone right now so don't know if that's why??

fine shooting VT, just curious, do you have your scope zeroed to your bait or do you have to hold over at that distance, tell us more.

Originally Posted By: weekenderfine shooting VT, just curious, do you have your scope zeroed to your bait or do you have t
To hold over at that distance, tell us more.

this past winter I set my competition rifle (savage vlp dbm in 22-250) up with a 60gr sierra varmint load and zeroed ot for the 400yd bait. I only got one and missed one with that set up, they didn't really start hitting that bait till lately, and I've started working on load development with the savage so these last two were shot with my calling rifle (win mod 70 coyote outback, also 22-250) shooting 50gr nbt at 3850fps holding right on the very top of the back.
Oh yeah, this rifles zeroed at 200yds.

Yesterday morning I went to the farm to check trail cameras. As I drove down the hill toward the cabin / bait site area, I suddenly
noticed a coyote run off to my left. It went out maybe 75 yards and stopped briefly, looked at me, then went over the hill.

Cameras revealed it had been at the bait site for about 10 minutes, and apparently I scared it off as I came down the hill.
This one is a female, probably the same one that visited about a week ago.

I'm pretty much finished for the summer months, unless I get an urge to shoot one and can't resist. Even though we can hunt
them year around, I generally stop about this time every year, and resume in the fall.

Here's a video just to keep a little bit of excitement going.

Nice photo, 6mm06. I cleaned up my bait site last weekend. Will give it a rest for the summer, focus on landlocked salmon / rainbow trout instead. Got my boat in the water last weekend, looking forward to many relaxing hours out on the lake. Was a great season, definitely learned a lot here, will be much better prepared for next winter. Kinda hoping I left enough canines in them hills for some good action come next January!

Originally Posted By: xxLeftyxxNice photo, 6mm06. I cleaned up my bait site last weekend. Will give it a rest for the summer, focus on landlocked salmon / rainbow trout instead. Got my boat in the water last weekend, looking forward to many relaxing hours out on the lake. Was a great season, definitely learned a lot here, will be much better prepared for next winter. Kinda hoping I left enough canines in them hills for some good action come next January!

Lefty, I'm like you, I learned a lot this season. Seems learning about coyotes never quits.

The photo above is actually a video clip. Just click on it to watch it.

well finally got lucky yesterday morning. Had a visitor to the Bone Pile. Old female with bad teeth and no pups this year. 250 yds. .223 with 77 gr. smk. DRT will try to post pics tonight

shot this one yesterday morn 250 yds 77gr smk the other one with the foxpro was from a month ago it came to a turkey call shot it with .223 55gr vmax @ 50 yds

2013-04-23_07-20-08_439_zpsc489a096.jpg

2013-04-23_07-17-20_2771_zpsb1a10ed6.jpg

2013-01-22_08-52-24_115_zps82e8e407.jpg

Wow, that is a hog of a coyote, and the 41# one is huge too.

I think you probably have more coyotes down there than we do here.

Yes we have several and they are very sharp. The "Bone Pile" does a good job though. Would like to have some way to take them at might.

Back