I Bought a used Savage 12 LRP 243 Barrel.... now what....?

dan brothers

Ever since I went out to Western Oklahoma last November and met those Government Hunters...I've wanted a more accurate longer range rifle. But being a lefty it limited my selections. I bought a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter 243 last fall, in a lefty, which I really like, and even put a 8 oz trigger in it. It has the detachable mag... with the release on the bottom. It was the Combo rifle with the Nikon scope.

I have not shot it out there at 5-600 yds yet, with it's 22" pencil barrel, so I'm not sure how accurate it might be, but decided to get a longer and bull barrel for it. I got hooked onto the Savage LRP 243 while watching The Darkman and his Neighbor on Youtube shoot those coyotes way way way out there. That rifle is a righty...but I'd change my ways if I could get one. Anyways... I just bought a used Savage LRP 243 26" Bull Fluted barrel off of gunbrokers, for $165.00 to my door...not sure if that was good or bad, but thought it was worth the gamble.
It supposedly only had 200 factory rounds down it.

My point I'm trying to get to is... Okay... now I've got a rifle in one hand... and a barrel in the other... NOW WHAT...?

I hate to show my ignorance about putting a rifle together, but you guys know I'm a little different anyways....LOL.

I guess I need a new stock first... any recommendations...in a lefty...?

Any other ideas...?

Thanks...Dan

I have an LRP with the HS stock, which is nice. Not sure if they make them lefty though. Can't go wrong with a McMillan or Manners though, but you'll have a wait while they build it unless you can get one in stock.

Go to 'savageshooters.com' for ALL things Savage.
Sounds as [beeep] you just need to change out your barrel, about as ez as a stock change. If you are unable to do this I'm sure a half competent gunsmith could rip you off for this, simple as putting your shoe on the correct foot, service.
Savage smithing is ez.
p.s. Boyd's is now making L/hand bolt notch Savage stocks. I had just bought a L/hand right bolt from them back in December that I filled in right notch & rasped out left notch. Came out rather well but would have rathered had a factory job.
IMO Boyd's is the way to go for quality & price. Look good too.

Last edited:
Yup, pop over that the savage shooters site & we will set you up over there.
You will need a barrel nut wrench, if you have a bench vice & wood blocks that will work for holding the bbl to bust the nut loose.
Boyds stock or hit midwayusa and go under gun parts, then savage 110 parts, they have a lot of stocks also & parts for everything savage.
I dont have an aftermarket stock myself since the stock ones work perfectly for me.
600 yards w/the 22" bbl is easy also.

It sounds like you might have a problem. If I remember correctly, the LRP is a large shank action. Your model 11 is a small shank. The two will not interchange.

You will need a barrel from a LPV if you want stainless fluted.

I would measure the two barrels before you take your rifle apart. Check them right at the front of the threaded shank.

Rich... I just re-read the description on that barrel...and your right... it's a large shank....Hmmm..... Oh My.... now what....

The barrel is .243 Cal. 1 in 9.25" twist Is 26" in Length Large Shank

It shouldn't be hard to sell your barrel. I recommend paying the $12.00 and signing up with SavageShooters. Smithing a Savage is very simple to do correctly. Look at getting a Criterion barrel as they are extremely good shooters at a decent price. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersRich... I just re-read the description on that barrel...and your right... it's a large shank....Hmmm..... Oh My.... now what....

The barrel is .243 Cal. 1 in 9.25" twist Is 26" in Length Large Shank

Having the barrel shank rethreaded for the smaller shank is easy for a good gunsmith. Shouldn't cost much either.

Jim

Originally Posted By: pdhntrHaving the barrel shank rethreaded for the smaller shank is easy for a good gunsmith. Shouldn't cost much either. Jim
I would look into doing this since you already bought the bbl. Heck I overlooked the LRP part and I own nothing but Savage guns & know better......doh.

Now I just found a New Savage LRP 12, 243 for 954.00 to my door...plus 20.00 my FFL guy... it's a righty of course, but I could still shoot it okay, because I probably wouldn't need any fast bolting action with it.

I could sell this barrel and save on the threading cost... and the aftermarket stock cost.... and use that saved money towards the new LRP. Making it my long-to-longer range rifle, while saving my pencil barrel rifle as my easy carry rifle. Does this make sense... and do this Plan B.... or stay with the original Plan A with the used barrel...?

The new LRP does have the competition accurtrigger, that goes down to 8 oz... even though I don't like the feel of those blades... I could always take the blade off if I wanted too.

What do ya think guys... Plan A or B....?

I would go with plan A.

Check to see what it would cost to cut the barrel to a small shank or sell it. Sign up @ Savage Shooters and you should have no problem unloading it.

Look up Jim @ Northland Shooter Supply.....

http://www.savageshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?43-Northland-Shooters-Supply

and pick up a Criterion or Shilen barrel. Then open up your stock or find another one.

I'm all for getting a new gun, but you would have to get rail, rings and glass too.

The beauty of a Savage is the ability to swap barrels yourself......easily. If you are going to hike your [beeep] off on a hunt, just put the sporter barrel back on and head out.

Plan B is your best option. The barrel you bought is a gambel. Spending more money is just upping the risk. Why did the owner take it off and sell it? Barrels that will shoot bug holes don't go on Gun Broker. They are sold to friends and shooting buddies.
Your new rifle will come exactly the way you want it. Savage will stand behind it as well. Sell the barrel and recoup your losses.

the guy that I got the barrel from said he changed it out to go to a different build... 6.5 I think...

I do like the idea of being able to change out barrels... but I also like the thought of having two rifles.

There are very good points on both sides of the fence...

Hmmmm.......

Got the barrel in here...it looks good from what I can see. It sure does have alot of threads on it.

I'd like to sell some of my other rifles for extra cash to buy the new LRP... and maybe keep this barrel as well.... maybe do both Plan A and B...while making Plan A a combo removable barrel system.

Plan C it is
thumbup1.gif

Back