6x45 or 243?

Dogman223

So I'm wanting to build a new bolt gun gonna start with rem 700 action I have and am going to order a PAC NOR just can't decide 243 or 6x45 I want to use it for rock chuck coyote and the occasional white tail we have here in Idaho what's your guys thoughts

I like the 6X45 but to load for deer you are going to have to do a compression load. Also if I was going to get a 6X45 I would want the slower twist so that I can use the lighter bullets. But that would mean that the deer rounds wouldn't work so well.

With what you are saying and going to use it for, i think i would get the 243, since it's common and you can get ammo in a pinch at just about any store.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI like the 6X45 but to load for deer you are going to have to do a compression load. Also if I was going to get a 6X45 I would want the slower twist so that I can use the lighter bullets. But that would mean that the deer rounds wouldn't work so well.

With what you are saying and going to use it for, i think i would get the 243, since it's common and you can get ammo in a pinch at just about any store.

Why would you need a slower twist for lighter bullets? I have a 243 and 2 each 6X45's. They both work well. My 6X45's are both in AR form, so I dont load bigger bullets. I have a 9 twist in 243 and 6X45 and a 10 twist X45. All of them handle the 85 gr Sierra HPBT well...so deer bullets work. One in a bolt gun would be dandy.

There is very little factory ammo for the 6x45. I think on company makes about 3 offerings. In that aspect, the 243 is the winner.

As for the compressed loads, thats a non issue. I load our X45's to the lip and compress. It's much easier and neater to use a drop tube. But I have no issues with a little crunch on bullet seating.

All in all...I really like the 6X45 and 243 really well. The X45 is just a plain fun round. Easy to load for, very minimal recoil and low muzzle blast. For what you described using it for, either would be fine. I wouldjust say 6X45 because I want one in a bolt gun and I have a fondness for the round.

I use a compressed load for even the 70 gr TNT's I load. The deer will be seeing a 80 gr Speer Deep Curl or a Sierra 85 gr HPBT.

Very Full little case...

79021228-1B54-4D0C-A6D8-778B2701A63D-242-0000001878D0891B_zps74eec96f.jpg

6x45 will do the job, 55-65g for coyotes and 80g-95g bullets for deer.
1/10" twist will drive them all into sub moa to 700yds on a calm day.
No you wont get the speed of a 243, but it will be very accurate & the recoil & blast is 100% less than a 243.
I have dropped 5 antelope out to 244 yds using the 85g sierra GKHP & 95g Nosler HBT bullets. Runs right through them.
I have a .243 as well. The antelope below was shot w/the 6x45 & my 85g Sierra GKHP load at an angle from the right shoulder and the bullet was just inside the rear left quarter at 239 yards. He dropped on the spot.
antelope002.jpg

Keep an eye in classifieds and Gun Broker and such. There are some available from time to time. Also, it seems the 6mm is more available as everyone wants 224 and 308's right now...

I would really like to own a 6x45 in a bolt gun someday. But If I had neither I would get a .243 first. My 6x45 in AR15 is a great rifle, and as accurate as any rifle I own. If I wanted to really push the cartridge a bolt with a 22" barrel would be the way to go.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI like the 6X45 but to load for deer you are going to have to do a compression load. Also if I was going to get a 6X45 I would want the slower twist so that I can use the lighter bullets. But that would mean that the deer rounds wouldn't work so well.

Why would you need a slower twist for lighter bullets? I have a 243 and 2 each 6X45's. They both work well. My 6X45's are both in AR form, so I dont load bigger bullets. I have a 9 twist in 243 and 6X45 and a 10 twist X45. All of them handle the 85 gr Sierra HPBT well...so deer bullets work. One in a bolt gun would be dandy.

There is very little factory ammo for the 6x45. I think on company makes about 3 offerings. In that aspect, the 243 is the winner.

As for the compressed loads, thats a non issue. I load our X45's to the lip and compress. It's much easier and neater to use a drop tube. But I have no issues with a little crunch on bullet seating.

All in all...I really like the 6X45 and 243 really well. The X45 is just a plain fun round. Easy to load for, very minimal recoil and low muzzle blast. For what you described using it for, either would be fine. I wouldjust say 6X45 because I want one in a bolt gun and I have a fondness for the round.

I use a compressed load for even the 70 gr TNT's I load. The deer will be seeing a 80 gr Speer Deep Curl or a Sierra 85 gr HPBT.

Very Full little case...

I was assuming that one would want to use a lighter bullet for varmit and predators.(just looking at it differently) I looked into getting one and was going to run 58gr bullets and the best twist for a 58 is not typically going to be the same as it would be for a 90gr hunting bullet. I like the 6x45. i just think that before you get specialized calibers, I personally would recommend a 243 or some other rifle that uses standard, easy to get ammo..

I'd go .243 over the 6x45 in a bolt gun anyday. Here's why.

1. You have the option to load the .243 down to 6x45.
2. The .243 will give you a lot more range.
3. The .243 will give you more energy on larger game like deer.
4. There's factory ammo out they for the .243, not so much for the 6x45.

The point is, a 9 twist x45 will shoot any common 6mm pill. It's easier to get a lighter bullet work in a fast twist then it is a heavier bullet in a slower twist, IME.

Originally Posted By: jasonprox700I'd go .243 over the 6x45 in a bolt gun anyday. Here's why.

1. You have the option to load the .243 down to 6x45.
2. The .243 will give you a lot more range.
3. The .243 will give you more energy on larger game like deer.
4. There's factory ammo out they for the .243, not so much for the 6x45.

1. Yes, the 243 can be loaded down...but why?

2. Know trajectory and how to compensate and 95% of the hunters will be fine.

3. Energy doesn't kill, holes in organs do. And lighter recoil may be the difference for some shooters.

4. There is factory loaded ammo available for the 6X45 from Cor-Bon. But if someone is asking about building a 6X45, they're likely a hand loader soo thats a moot point.

I can't believe there's even a discussion about this. I owned a 6X47 that was easily one of if not the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. But I also owned a 243 that I killed a whole big bunch of coyotes, bobcats and fox with plus a few deer.

The 6X45 and 6X47 were developed as bench rest cartridges and are great for that. Take a look at the ballistics tables and see what you're giving up if you don't choose the 243. Better yet, take a look at the 6mm Rem vs all the others then decide.

Back