Krusty goes to LT Murray

Bofire

We went to LT Murray yesterday, went up Watt Canyon road. Nice area, my first time there. We hunted all day saw some yote sign (not much), one set of Bobcat tracks and one set of Couger. Called and tried hard. Saw some huge bucks, three and four points and some huge Bulls one 7 point.
Had lots of fun but no yotes, discourging I must be doing something very wrong.
One point, if you go with him, DO NOT let Krusty pick the road you go on!!!! and make him get a decent map. We had a fine time, talked calls and calling all day, my Preymaster Azden worked really well, except one place the wind was doing a 100 over a high ridge, could not even hear hand calls. Tried to work my way over to Wenas but could not get there from there! About 2 1/2 hrs. from my place, got home about 9 pm. A four by or at least good pick-up is required, snow, slimy clay and rocks. The area looked really good but needed some yotes.
Carl

Hey Carl, That's what happens about everytime I go up there, lot's of deer but slim on yotes. There is only two roads that lead from the gate as you now know and neither one is good. Which direcetion did you and the Krustmiester head off on, right or left at the Y? Either way it just makes a big circle though.

I always go to the left because it flattens out up top and there are some really nice areas up there. If I remember correctly, Krusty said he used to ride dirt bikes up there years ago.

FALfire,

Yes we went left at the Y and south at most of the main intersections... we ended up at a gate into ranchland, overlooking the Manastash River (to our south).

The big flats (there were so many of them) looked pretty gamey.
I was suprised, like always, that nobody came to die...
We saw many ravens and a couple birds of prey, and a plethora of small forest birds, come to the call.

Bofire was an excellent companion for the day, and I was truly impressed and thankful for his good 4wd truck. If it even faultered he'd just push the four-by button on the dash, and zoom off we'd go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Chevy Power!" Krusty would say! (in my advertising man voice)

I had a Green Trails map, and a pretty good idea of where we were, I had kinda hoped we'd be able to come back down Robinson Canyon.

I don't think Bofire (or me) really is doing anything wrong, sometimes it works, and other times the critters don't cooperate.
And being public lands, there is probably a fair amount of calling pressure there... heck the place was crawling with deer and elk hunters not very long ago, the snow hadn't even filled in the spots where their trailers and camps had been.

I have done some dirt biking up in there but mostly dual-purpose biking, scouting for ways between highway 12 and I-90, and doing some support caches for a friend doing the Pacific Crest Trail.
I had only gone up into the Road 33 stuff, and since Redider and I started going up there looking for predators we have only gone that way too.
There's no way the little Ford Fiesta me and Red drive would ever make it up the in the Joe Watt area... we park about a half mile up from the gate and walk the boundry, making stands in the margins of the trees and the open prairie.

It's a great area, and I'll definitely go back there.
But next time me and Carl are going to Wenas, where Carl gets to choose which crappy road we drive on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And coyotes, or no coyotes, any day spent in the field in the good company of a friend is a gift.Thanks for sharing it with me buddy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeff
wave1.gif

Well if ya go up the wenas outside of Ellensburg the road there if it's the same one you speak of is REAL NASTY. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and it beat me to death. I might suggest going in near Whistlen Jacks, the roads are way better and you can still find some great places to call.

All the elk hunters should be out now I believe and the areas should be calming down some. Expect snow and be ready for getting stuck. I always take extra food, water and dry clothes along with a heat source and sleeping bags. You get stuck up there and it could be days before you get out.

I will be going back. Falfire what the heck is an FAL?
I still think that would be a freat place for a bunch of us to meet up.
The Krusty man is a fine companion.
Carl

Carl,

This is a FAL

fa95cb06.jpg

One day out at the range, I was shooting my DSA 308 FN/FAL and a shooter next to me was intrigued by the amount of fire that was coming out of the business end. Of the gun Carl, of the gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway he made a comment of the fire coming from the gun and I said "yep that's a lot of fire, it's FALFIRE". Of course he had no stinking idea what I was talking about either. So I figured since I was kinda into the FAL thing I would just use that as my screen name. Some refer to these firearms as the FN/FAL or F.A.L. most of us just call'em FAL's almost as if it's a word, like PAL.

This one, in the pic, happens to be in 243 caliber that I built a short time ago. DSA offers them in 243, 260, 308 and now 300WSM. Some guy's build them in 223, 7.62x39, 9mm, 45acp, etc.

Ok Falfire I am up for it. I really did not know what an FAL was. I looked it up today, a German M-14 sortakinda. Guess I are just a dummy. Name the place dude.
Carl

Well tomorrow, Thursday, I go in for a CAT SCAN and an MRI, then next week on the 25th I have an appointment with the Neuroligist so he can tell me how much longer I have to live /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm not really excited in knowing the outcome of all of this but it has to be done. It may turn out to be nothing, I'm hoping, but my brother in law was fine on friday and dead on saturday from a brain tumor, so it's the world of the unknown. Life sucks sometimes but I hope it don't get any suckier.

I will be taking some time off from work the week of Thanksgiving, trying to spend as much time with the family as I can. My wife and I may possibly take off for a few of days during the latter part of that week to visit some friends in Bend Oregon.

I plan to try my hand at dog killin', I want to get some blood on one of my shooters. Maybe the 17th monday, 18th tuesday or 24th monday.
What days are good for you and Krusty?

FALfire,

I really really hope that it turns out to be nothing, that sounds like some scary SHtuff! :eek:

A trip to Bend sounds nice... I know a couple spots down that way I'd like to go hunt myself.

I punch my own ticket, so I can take any day off I can sneak past the lil' woman.
You guys have real jobs, I will work around your schedules. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Like I said just tell me when and where, I'll show up and hour late, and I'll forget something fairly important... it wouldn't be hunting otherwise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jeff
wave1.gif

Hello, I appreciate the offer!! for me the 24 is no go due to work schedule, I am looking at 17/ 18 but it will be tough. dang it!
If you don't mind you will be in my prayers for what ever the problem is. I had to get an MRI last year.
I will let you know as soon as possible. If I can't go you and Jeff will have a good time! My replacement at work is taking a vacation.
Carl

Okay, if we could all make it the 17th, next Monday, where would you two like to meet? What time is good for you guy's? I hate mornings but I can get up and haul buns when I need to.

Carl you need to come up SR7 thru Spanaway Parkland, correct? If so we could meet on the South Hill mall parking lot behind the Jack in the Box near the Mervins store.

Jeff where abouts in Seattle are you and where would you like to hook up at? Would you be willing to drive south to Federal Way? We could meet at the Metro Transit park-n-ride lot located at So. 320th and I-5 and pick you up there.

I'm up on So. Hill and can meet anywhere. We could all go in my truck Crew Cab Dodge with canopy to keep gear out of the rain, or your's.

Call me 206-571-6935 cell
Gary

FALfire,

I woulda e-mailed ya, but I can't find your addy...

Looks like it's just gonna be you and Carl on Monday... me and the lil' car are both sick.

I wish you guys all the GOOD luck in the world, have a great day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jeff
wave1.gif

Sorry ya can't make it Jeff, stay home get your rest there will be many more opportunities to to go this winter.

You should be able to get my addy now.

I try to go about every third weekend, well my weekend anyways, which is Sun, Mon & Tuesdays. I do leave Sunday's open for the lady of the house. She only has one day per week to nag at me so she get's Sunday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif But I'm open for most Monday's and Tuesday's for huntin', just let me know.

Tried the LT Murry and Cowichie a few weeks ago with similar results. Not much sign and nothing called in. Did pick up one dog on the way home near Naches.

Last week I took a death ride into the Colockum WA. Wildlife rich area. Ended up "talking" to 3 coyotes but couldn't bring them in. There are dogs there but bring extra tires.

Back