Hog optics

sigpros

So what do you guys like to use on your hog rifle? Scope? Aimpoint? I am going on a hunt and never hunted hogs before. I can see where a low powered scope would be nice, but if a whole family came in a aimpoint might be the way to go for fast shots. This optic will be mounted on my 50 Beowulf ar. Thanks for any help guys

Depends on terrain. Thick, brushy country, Red Dot or Eotech. Open country, scope. I use a scope, turned down to 3 power for brush and then up to 5 for open country.

I like to shoot them at night, so a decent scope that gathers some light, coupled with a half moon or better, is what go for. I've also started using a kill light for less lit nights and like that real well.

If you're gonna go kick 'em out of the brush, you'll probably be served well by red dot or low powered scope. I've done that and had decent success with plain ol' iron sights on a .44 mag rifle.

On my .300 blk I like the VXR Hog. 30mm tube, compact. Has good reticle for cover and low light. Good glass and I can shoot both eyes open on 1.25x (some people say this is difficult if not a true 1x) when engaging runners and can still reach out to 150 yds on 4x if the need arises. I also like the lighted dot that has an air turn off/on feature that for me (I tend to forget to turn things off) saves battery life. I picked mine up used for $375 Leupold also has a great lifetime warranty and, I can say from experience, excellent customer service.

My 2c
Tom

Originally Posted By: TV308On my .300 blk I like the VXR Hog. 30mm tube, compact. Has good reticle for cover and low light. Good glass and I can shoot both eyes open on 1.25x (some people say this is difficult if not a true 1x) when engaging runners and can still reach out to 150 yds on 4x if the need arises. I also like the lighted dot that has an air turn off/on feature that for me (I tend to forget to turn things off) saves battery life. I picked mine up used for $375 Leupold also has a great lifetime warranty and, I can say from experience, excellent customer service.

My 2c
Tom

I have this same Leopold Pig Plex scope and it is excellent glass, lightweight, large FOV, and a great deal for the money, the firedot is nice at dawn and dusk too.

Pig%20Plex%20Right.jpg

Pig%20Plex%20Left2.jpg

Pig%20Plex%20Right3.jpg

4th%20July%20Hog.jpg

The VXR is a great scope..if your looking for a budget scope.....I picked up a Millet DMS for 170.00 and I have no complaints. I can shoot with both eyes open like a true 1x or zoom to 4x if I really need it. Its my varmit/hog scope for now

I went with a bushnell elite 1.25-4. It's a 30mm scope and has a lighted dot in the middle. Think it is going to be a good one. Hopefully it allows me to bring home the bacon.

Back