nussince animal needs to go

Max Lambert

Can I shoot a coyote on my dead pony I think they killed last night. Hunting regs say shoot from sun up to sun down this time of year, but I see it more of protecting my live stock as I have cows as well. I just want them gone.
What should I do?

Originally Posted By: Max LambertCan I shoot a coyote on my dead pony I think they killed last night. Hunting regs say shoot from sun up to sun down this time of year, but I see it more of protecting my live stock as I have cows as well. I just want them gone. What should I do?
I noticed your location is Illinois. Here is a link to info from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources that might help.
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/wildlife/solutions_self.cfm

Contact your local district wildlife biologist from the link below.
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/wildlife/professionals.cfm

Ask them if they can give you a nuisance animal removal permit to shoot a known offending coyote on your property. Explain you have experienced property damage and see what they say.

Hope this helps!

Are they still allowed to shoot in ILL ?

Just kidding....won't find me living there or NY..that's true.

Originally Posted By: Max LambertCan I shoot a coyote on my dead pony I think they killed last night. Hunting regs say shoot from sun up to sun down this time of year, but I see it more of protecting my live stock as I have cows as well. I just want them gone.
What should I do?

Use the the 3 "S" method: "Shoot,Shovel & ShutUp".

That's a tough question, Max. The animal you see nosing around the carcass or even eating, may or may not be the one that took your pony down or ran him to death. I've lost critters too. And sometimes I've blamed the wrong one. Sometimes the evidence seemed really obvious, and I still got it wrong. Just be sure. I've seen the wrong domestic dog get shot for something he didn't do. Getting a second opinion helps.
Sometimes I, myself, have been wrongly accused. I've seen it happen to others, and I've made a couple of wrong assumptions about my fellow man as well. A false accusation can be one of the hardest things to live with.
Shooting critters that I know are bothering my livestock? Yes. But ........ we can never call that bullet back. Make your choices wisely.

Back