Baiting

I wouldn't use varmint bullets.Ive read alot from guys who kill 100's of coyotes with the 17 and they say splashes are to common with the hyper expantion of varmint bullets.As for the 17 hornet, if I didnt already have two 17's I'd get one.The 17 rem. will drop a coyote dead at 300 yards.So if a 25 gr.bullet starts at 4000 fps,at 300 yards its going 2,375 fps.I dont have the 17 hornet ballistics in front of me but if I rember right at 150 yd.the hornet 17 should still be as fast of faster than the 300 yard 17 rem.Just check the ballistics and I think you will see that the 17 hornet is singing your name for bait hunting.No more exits,no more sowing,no more docked fur prices.If fur keeps going up, you just might pay for it.In the late 70s I paid for a brand new ruger 77 243 in just 2 days of fox hunting.Sweet gun dreams.

Good morning David.

What Night Vision Scope is that?

04-39.jpg

05-29.jpg

This one came in just before 6 this morning, better than an easter basket......

100_0352_zpsfb7691e8.jpg

NY season closes today with rain in the forecast I'm done for the season.

Last edited:
Good job pmac, I got a shot this morning too on the 300 yard bait. All I got was a bit of hair and a few drops of blood. Guess im gnna have to stick with the Easter basket :[

Originally Posted By: GerryBOriginally Posted By: Scalloper6mm06
Great job... The only thing better then coyotes in pairs is women in pairs
thumbup.gif
lol.gif

Women in pairs? No thank you. It's all I can do to handle the one I've got!
LOL, a wise man told me "They can look up longer then you can look down"
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: pmackThis one came in just before 6 this morning, better than an easter basket......

100_0352_zpsfb7691e8.jpg

NY season closes today with rain in the forecast I'm done for the season.
Great easter egg for sure.
I have never understood why any state would have a sesion on coyotes
sick.gif

Are they afraid they will be depleated?
crazy.gif

J.Mark, I have been eyeing the .17 Hornet, specifically the Ruger version. Problem is finding one at the moment, other than the $1400 one currently on Gunbroker.

Paul, the scope is a Gen 1 ATN Spartan 410. Even though it's a Gen 1, with the IR lights I use at the bait site, I have no problem putting coyotes on the ground. Actually, the female coyote I shot a few nights ago (night of the double kill) was taken without any IR light at all. I had ambient light (moon) and snow, so it was plenty bright enough to make a killing shot.

Pmack, nice going on the coyote. Nice way to end the season.

Blusam, I am not familiar with the 20 Pratical. What is the parent case? What velocities will it give? Do you have experience with this cartridge? I assume it would be fur-friendly.

Wow, that is an impressive cartridge. I love the accuracy.

My initial thoughts are what advantages does the 20 Prac have over the .204, other than using .223 brass.

What about a 17-223? I realize there's more involved in necking down to 17, also the shoulder situation.

I'm thinking still that both of those rounds, even the .204, will be too much for fox and bobcat. Any thoughts on that?

Maybe the .17 Hornet might serve the purpose better. Just guessing.

6mm06, the 20 practical has velocities very near the 204 Ruger. It is a nice combination, but probably the greatest advantage over the 204 Ruger was the availability of cheap 223 brass to convert. At least temporarily that advantage has disappeared. As you know, I've shot a couple of fox with the 204 using 39 sbk's and 40 vmx and neither of those were fur friendly. I haven't shot any with 32 vmax which "might" do better and not exit. Killed quite a few coyotes with the 32 vmax and no exits, but of course that isn't a guarantee on fox or bobcats.

Last edited:
about the same fps and ballastics as a 22/250 made on the 223 case would probably get a little better powder burn efficiency just reading no pratical experience would work in your ar no problem

The only way those 32 gr. wont blow fur is if you load them down to hornet velocities.A solid bullet like sierra match reduces exit size on lung shots to quarter size on average.Ive killed a boatload of fox with 243 85 gr. sierra match hpbt with medium exits as long as you dont hit major bone.If you want fur friendly fox rounds you have to slow them down or according to some,17 cal 20 gr. 4200 fps. for no exit.I have no expierience with that one.For 150 yd.coyote and fox at any range you can hit them I think the 17 hornet would be alove affair.I love my 17 rem's. with the right bullet they are the most fur friendly deadly load ive ever used.You just have to hit them right.If you cant shoot use a heavier bullet and learn to sow fox.For fox slow nonfragile bullet is the ticket unless the super fast 20gr. really dosnt exit which I am going to test this summer.

I'm sure this is an age-old problem - fur friendly, yet put 'em down for the count.

I too am thinking the .17 Hornet might be just the trick. I know that 6x45 isn't - for fox, that is. It's not bad in general for coyotes, but it's definitely not fox friendly.

One other cartridge that comes to mind is the .19 Calhoon, which is based on the .22 Hornet case necked down to .19 caliber. I've read some reports about it's fur-friendly attributes and had a couple of guys tell me more about it. The only issue I see with this round is the bullet selection. It's pretty much a one-man show with regards to acquiring bullets. But, if it worked well, a guy could stock up on bullets. Anyone have any experience with this cartridge?

Maybe soon Obama and politicians will cease playing games with the American people, and just maybe Ruger .17 Hornets will become available at a cost a working man can afford.

Until then, well...................

6mm06 said:
Last night I stayed at the cabin despite the coyote not showing the night before. To say it was a good night would be an understatement. Here's the way it went.

8:45 PM - Attack possum showed up
9:45 PM - Bobcat arrived
10:14 PM - Bobcat ran off quickly as if scared
10:15 PM - Trigger squeezed on large male coyote
10:30 PM - Went to bed
02:55 AM - Alarm went off
02:56 AM - Squeezed trigger on coyote #2, female
03:00 AM - Back to bed and slept like a baby
08:30 AM - Got up, hot coffee, then collected coyotes.

I watched the bobcat on and off through the night vision scope for about 30 minutes. I looked through the scope and saw the bobcat suddenly run down hill in a hurry and wondered what scared it. Then suddenly I saw a coyote come down the hill toward the bait. I would have thought the bobcat would defend it's meal, but it wanted nothing to do with that coyote.

When I squeezed the trigger, the coyote (male) jumped and ran into the brushy area in the foreground in the first photo. I could tell it was hit but not sure how well. Later this morning when I found it, I noticed it was a good shot. It was running dead and went maybe 40-50 yards around the hillside. We got fresh snow last night, so the tracks were washed out but the coyote didn't go far.

Later this morning around 2:55 AM, the alarm woke me. I was surprised to see another coyote (female). It was nervous at the bait site, more so than the male.

When I turned on the IR lights remotely, the coyote ran and I thought it was leaving, but it stopped so I turned the lights off. I could see well enough to shoot without the lights since there was a snow on the ground and enough ambient light. I shot the female with no added lights at all, which was nice to see the Gen 1 scope work that well. The female coyote jumped and rolled a bit and ended up just a few feet downhill from the bait, near center in the first photo.

06-23.jpg

01-54.jpg

02-55.jpg

03-47.jpg

04-39.jpg

05-29.jpg

09-11.jpg

Looks like awesome coyote hunting where your at 6mm06, Beautufil territory. What state are you in? Looks like the coyotes are everywhere down there. What kind of night vision scope do you have? Im thinking about getting myself one for coyote and other vermin for around my place.

Remington man, I'll tell you all about it in a personal mail. I'm sure the guys on here are getting tired of hearing the same thing over and over.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Remington man, I'll tell you all about it in a personal mail. I'm sure the guys on here are getting tired of hearing the same thing over and over.

David what Side Arm are you packing in the above photo?? And what holster is that??
thumbup1.gif

Back