Wolf Hunting Caliber?

furdog

OK here it goes...I'm new here but I'm looking for some advise from you folks on here. I am tentatively planning a wolf hunt in Montana this next year and I need a little advise as what to what caliber to use. I'm sure shot's could be long so I'm kinda shying away from .22 rounds. I have a 30-06 and I have an encore that I can stick any barrel on. 7mm-08? Also I do reload so anything load wise is possible! Thanks in advance!

Just remember, they run generally the same and some much bigger than a deer. Just keep that in mind and there is no caliber restrictions. I would use what you have, 30'06 would work fine.

The wolf here in Idaho (which we now have more than enough) are very spooky and you do need to plan for a longer shot I have taken a couple using my 6.5x284 both at 300+ like mentioned above consider it as deer hunting at ranges 200+ yards and plan on a fast follow up shot if needed because man them things can move if the first one is not in the boiler room they don't look back for nothing!

From what I saw this passed winter you do not have to worry about using to big of a caliber. I skinned many wolves that were shot with 300 win and ultra mag and there was very little pelt damage. The worse pelt damage I saw was from a 270. I would say use what you have with the 30-06. It did the job multiple times this winter for hunters I was guiding

Last edited:
Hey Josh when I was there some even used 30-378 Weatherby's, 340 Weatherby, 375 H&H, 308 LaZZ Warbird and none of the wounds were what you might find on a trashed coyote at times. Well some were a little much but not trashed.

Wolves are a couple steps up in frame,muscle, fur and hide.

One of the worst wounds I remember over the years was a 308win with match bullets so go figure. Took out the shoulder on a frontal quartering shot.

I've shot them next to point blank with 7mm mag, 308Win, 270Win no problems if I thread it in right. Buckshot works better though.

7-08 or 30-06 will work fine

Last edited:
I shot one this year with a 6mm REM didn't take a step after the shot now granted I did shoot it in the head at about 150 yards but I would say 243 would be enough with the proper bullet and shot placement.

This decision also depends on how you plan to hunt them. If sitting bait or calling I would say 243 would be great if your comfortable with the rifle. If doing pushes I personally would opt for a little more gun.

The 100gr Rem core lokt 6mm Rem ammo works well but not consistent exits. Dumps every bit of energy but I like a blood trail.

Agree with jlutcher, 243Win is enough on planned shots but when they're moving and you're just happy to hit fur I'd want more. If you feel 10 times more confident using your 243win over something bigger than use the 243win, if not use a little bigger.

Longest shot I've witnessed was a 517yd texas heart shot on a fleeing 100lb wolf. The 7mm mag did the trick not sure if a 243win is gonna punch bone and meat at that range to make the vitals. Extreme example I know, just sayin.

I would suggest any deer caliber you can shoot well works good second shots will play a factor dont let em run away. stay away from varmit calibers if you are investing the time and money. good luck.

I shot a wolf in the chest with my 243 and watched it take off. 80gr ttsx. Never found it. I don't doubt the 243 will kill wolves, but bullet placement and construction is key. When in doubt, go bigger.

Tim the gun you grab everyday and shoot it in all kinds of situations. The guys that did the best were the ones that didn't overthink it and were very comfortable throwing lead. The guys that didn't need to readjust 4 times for a 100yd shot because they weren't perfectly steady. Really you should be able to freehand a 100yd shot. They're not small.

A 7 to 8 lb unscoped 257WSM(wildcat),270WSM,257Weatherby,270 Weatherby would be guns that would take a lot of thought out of the shooting process and hammer them as far as you care to shoot. Scope something you are very familiar with.

One of the nicest shots I saw was a 130gr bullet out of a 270 Weatherby. Flat hammered the big wolf at 400yds. When asked where he held, he said he was on fur.

That may be a little hotter than a 130gr bullet out of a 270WSM but I always liked the thought of that combo(130gr 270WSM) as it tracks pretty much right on with a 55gr bullet in a 22-250. I figured many hunters would be familiar with that.

Last edited:
My comments are on pushed wolves when time and conditions are scarce and poor.
I can see how those cartridge benefits would play into other wolf hunts also.

Originally Posted By: FishinHankI shot a wolf in the chest with my 243 and watched it take off. 80gr ttsx. Never found it. I don't doubt the 243 will kill wolves, but bullet placement and construction is key. When in doubt, go bigger.

rolleyes.gif

I have never shot a wolf but i have seen some in the zoo. I would like to imagine my 7mm-08 would be a perfect caliber for them things. shoots flat and the bear i have shot with it in the head just turned the insides to soopy mush

Back