Retired Va. GW here.

1trkyhntr

Thanks for this new thread. There is a lot of misinformation being posted about game laws from guys who think they know, or are just guessing. It would be very helpful if hunters could post questions here and get correct answers from game wardens who actually do know the law.
I am a retired 30 year service GW from Va., though they are now called "Conservation Police".
Even though I've been retired about 4 years now, I still try to keep up with the laws and regulations. I'd be happy to try and answer any Va game law questions that you guys may have.

Thanks for the help!
thumbup1.gif

I am a retired game warden from AZ. Retired about 1 year ago after spending 29 years in the field. I try to help with questions about game/fish laws in AZ. Thanks for the help in VA.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrThanks for this new thread. There is a lot of misinformation being posted about game laws from guys who think they know, or are just guessing. It would be very helpful if hunters could post questions here and get correct answers from game wardens who actually do know the law.
I am a retired 30 year service GW from Va., though they are now called "Conservation Police".
Even though I've been retired about 4 years now, I still try to keep up with the laws and regulations. I'd be happy to try and answer any Va game law questions that you guys may have.

Respectfully, with the above said I don't see the utility of this particular forum. It would seem to me that the best idea for someone with a question about a game law or management practice in their area is to contact the authorities or managing agency in their own immediate and particular area for the answer. No disrespect intended but how could a retired game warden from another state accurately give current information about any other states game laws or particular management practices? In my home state of Missouri the following agencies all manage wildlife and/or public properties with hunting/fishing opportunities; The Missouri Department of Conservation, The Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The U.S. Forest Service, The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers. Could one expect a retired game warden from another state to know accurate and current information about the laws and management practices of any/all of those agencies as it applies here and now? It would seem the best idea for an accurate answer that would keep someone out of trouble and provide the most information as well as an immediate contact person in the future would be to simply ask the guys with actual authority and boots on the ground in that immediate area. Thankfully in today’s world of instant information that is easily done. So, again respectfully, what am I missing here?

GC,
This new forum was not created to answer specific questions about game laws in every state. Retired game wardens can answer many specific questions about the state they are familiar with, but not with other states. We hope to get more retired and active game wardens monitoring this forum to help answer questions that may arise. You are correct that it is best to contact the agency that oversees the issue to get specific questions answered.

Some of the purposes of this new forum are to provide a friendly environment for PM members to interact with game wardens to promote a better understanding and spirit of cooperation. A place where game wardens can express their personal views without representing their agency. Where game wardens can discuss game laws in different states and get opinions on what works and what does not for predator hunting. I think there are a lot of game wardens who have never tried predator calling and would like to. Hopefully, this forum will encourage them to get involved in the sport and join Predator Masters.

GC, this is the thread with the 'mission statement' and disclaimer.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...513#Post2463513

YOu are 100% correct. It is unresaonable to expect the mods [ret GW} to know or advise on all the game laws in the country.
HOpefully this forum will give members an opportunity to interact,with GW, share their stories, and ask questions to get a general idea of the how and why of game laws.

In Alberta, we now have Game Wardens. a few years ago these ame people were called conservation officers. If you refer to the Gw now as a CO, they sometimes bristle because the CO is now someone like a park ranger who patrols campsites etc.
grin.gif

When I lived in B.C the game wardens were called Cpnservation officers and bristled if you referred to them as GWs.
grin.gif

I'd like to hear more stories of encounters with GW. I know I have a few, some funny, some not so much.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrThanks for this new thread. There is a lot of misinformation being posted about game laws from guys who think they know, or are just guessing. It would be very helpful if hunters could post questions here and get correct answers from game wardens who actually do know the law.

Is it illegal to use electronic calls in the George Washington National Forest?

Last edited:
Here is the Virginia regulation that covers electronic calls;

4 VAC-15-40-30. Recorded wild animal or wild bird calls or sounds prohibited in taking game; bobcats, coyotes, crows, and foxes excepted.

It shall be unlawful to take or attempt to take wild animals and wild birds, with the exception of bobcats, coyotes, crows, and foxes by the use or aid of recorded animal or bird calls or sounds or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of animal or bird calls or sounds; provided, that electronic calls may be used on private lands for hunting bobcats, coyotes, and foxes with the written permission of the landowner and on department-owned wildlife management areas unless otherwise posted by wildlife management area rules.

You may call the Va Game Dept. directly at 1-804-367-1000 if you need further clarification.

Last edited:
Back