whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property

May not help but we have had the same problem at one of our family owned ranches that holds a lot of big mule deer and critters and a private fishing hole people like to sneek into at night we invested in a few solar powerd motion lights that Realy lite things up it has all but come to a stop we put some at the gates and fishing hole seems people get nervouse when they think they been caught red handed

You could also put some paint pans with Orange paint in them.. Then when they drive in it gets all over the tires and truck..
Should make it easy to spot them if you live a small town.

That's a good idea the only problem is I got a oil well on my property and they use the gate also to check the well. I'm sorrry I forgot to mention this guys just now thought of it . They also get pretty mad when they have to buy new locks. But I show no pitty for them they have left the gate wide open before. But they don't do that anymore not gonna say what I said or did. In the past week I found 2 dead deer just bones ribcages fur etc one was a doe the other I couldn't tell had no head attached. I can't tell if they did because of winter or what the animals had pretty well picked them dry.

Trail camera(s) have worked really well for me as a poacher/trespasser ID method AND keeps an eye(no pun intended) on our standalone, vertical deer blind. Video mode can give you some real interesting stuff. Infrared is the best. In our case, the target individuals were completely ignorant of the fact that they had been video digitized in daylight and after dark.

I just put up trail cam yesterday. I didn't put by the gate I put it in the woods hopeing it will catch them off gaurd. I don't think they will be looking for cams in the woods. I think the look the gate area over pretty good.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupGame cam video is prima facia evidence in courts here for trespassing and/or poaching, while photographs are not...

That may be the problem here in backassward land (Arkansas)
Our major problem around here is copper theft, and came camera pics are laughed at by the LEOs. The farmers have had pics of the thieves with bolt cutters in hand, in the process of cutting large copper wire, and have been laughed out of the sherrifs office.

Maybe video is what is needed. I'll have to check and see if that would help.
Thanks for the suggestion SkyPup.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57Originally Posted By: SkyPupGame cam video is prima facia evidence in courts here for trespassing and/or poaching, while photographs are not...

Our major problem around here is copper theft, and came camera pics are laughed at by the LEOs. The farmers have had pics of the thieves with bolt cutters in hand, in the process of cutting large copper wire, and have been laughed out of the sherrifs office.

Maybe video is what is needed. I'll have to check and see if that would help.
Thanks for the suggestion SkyPup.

Shayne

Photos (video or still) should be able to be used for evidence if the person who took them is willing to testify if necessary that they were the person who took the pictures, the photos were not altered, and are a true representation of what they photographed.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57

Shayne

Shayne, a warrant or summons is issued by the state's prosecuting attorney (often called DA's) in the jurisdiction where the offense occurs.
The farmers need to start bypassing the uncooperative LEO's and go directly to the DA. A warrant or summons is issued from the DA'a office, and then delivered to the Sheriff's office for service.
IF the thief can be positively identified by the photographic evidence, and the farmer will testify to the authenticity of the evidence, I don't see how a DA can refuse to prosecute the case. Just remember, they are ELECTED officials who were put there by the people, to serve the people!
thumbup1.gif

That's the way it works here in KY, but all states have very similar systems so it would be worth a try in MO.

Well the poachers hit again . They were on my property Saturday evening or Saturday night. Can't wait till I get this gate built. They didn't damage anything besides the lock but its hard to tell what they shot

In most jurisdictions, you don't need to go through a LEO agency to get a warrant...Collect and preserve all of your evidence, write up a clear and concise narrative of the problem and your observations in a chronological order, take it to the local county prosecutor in the county where the offense occurred and they will generally issue a legal warrant for arrest and then any officer in the county can serve it...

Just be willing to follow through with all phases of the prosecution...There have been cases brought before a court where the complainant wouldn't/couldn't show up (and there will be continuances) and the case gets dismissed...Then the offender turns around and sues the complainant and wins...

Saturday night no later then 2. The ice pudlle of water in front of gate was frozen . I was there Saturday till around 2. I think I may have figured out who's doing it . A group of guys have a camp in the area and there was a bunch there Saturday morning. I believe these guys poach a lot. When I drove by there was q few guys decked out in camo not saying they was poaching turkeys or what not . they could of been yote hunting like me but I doubt it.

I have yet got a good picture of someone besides me. Last year I got a person decked out in camo but he had a facemask on and gloves. He was carrying a rifle.

I had a problem a few years ago.
After 3 or 4 times of the problem happening, I chatted with a
few of the good old boy neighbors. Told them what was going
on and that I needed a name. Just a name, told them it wouldn't
go any further and there wouldn't be in LEO involvement and
that I would deal with the people myself personally.

They put the word out and That put a stop to the problem.

My father in law owns a hunting property quite a ways from his residence and has had some issues with trespassers. We've had a discussion about options and how to handle it and the best we've come up with was to install a very secure and well hidden camera system with a recorder that was secured in a separate location. In addition to this, one or two fake "sacrificial" cameras would be installed as well out in the open obvious areas. The idea being that once the poachers destroy the obvious cameras they'll think they're scott free.

I put the new gate up Saturday haven't had any problems YET. I also told a few white lies to people around town the lies got out pretty fast .typical small town can't do anything without everybody knowing. Hopefully this will take care of it also stopped and talked to them guys at camp and asked if they been haveing trouble with poachers. They said no. I told them that there's been some hitting the area and I got the gw patrolling the property. And told them about a robo turkey the gw set out on my property. Told them they caught 4 people already lol. I dislike to lie but hey I guess u gotta do what u gotta do

We have used the cheap window alarms that sound off when the window or door is open. we used these when we had a pool and the kids were younger. They will scare the crap out of them when set off. They only cost a few dollars.

My uncle has had similar problems on his ranch before game cameras were around. He installed a big pipe gate with a box enclosed lock. The poachers cut the fence next to the gate and went on in. After a fixing fence a couple times, he got pizzed off and just started parking a 2ton hay truck on a narrow spot in the road ahead of the gate, problem solved. Perhaps parking a cheapo junky car/truck in front of the gate might work(stress "cheap", sounds like these guys would likely trash it out of spite). A set of keys to the oil folks so they could move it to get in, and you'd be good to go. Plus the poachers might even think that someone is already on the property and go elsewhere.

Back