CA night vision

Read the regs... It says no night vision.

Night hunting is allowed in most of the state(except part of the central valley) as long as there is no big game season open. You can't take anything listed as game(even jack rabbits) Just varmint...

Basically 9v max power handheld or on the head for most the state. (not attached to the gun)

In most the desert region any power can be used. Fish and game has said the light can be weapon mounted, but you are likely to encounter LEO that don't know the law. They will take your weapon and you will be going to court.

There are some areas the prohibit night hunting by county ordinance. Like all of san diego county is closed, san benito county is closed, and use the san bernardino county shooting map to see areas in san bernardino county that are open to night hunting. Always check for local laws.

Do your research, be prepared to be stopped. I carry a copy of the regs and shooting maps. I also carry a print out from the ask a warden section of DFG website that explains weapon mounted lights.

I took hours to carefully outline the boarders of the night hunting zones. The jerks deliberately want to make it difficult to understand night hunting regs. Rather than just put a map in the regs it is pages of stuff like ...From the intersection of rush creek and highway 5, 8 miles north to tweakerville road, west 20 miles to the edge of mono county ...and on and on...

The closed area is part inside the green. THe 12v area is everything east of the pink line running along the edge of the sierra. THe 9v hand held area is the remainder of the state as I recall.

good luck, read up, and be safe.

thank you for all the info. especially the NO NIGHT HUNTING FOR JACKRABBITS !! at a varmit seminar they were saying how it was legal and when I said it was not and when I put it on here, I caught crap! just trying to save people time and money! like you said " read the regs" glad to be out of cali. good luck and be safe! (222 my go to cal)

Triple Duece, here are what the regs say

Night vision is only banned when using an IR illuminator based on the sentence structure of the text below:

Fish and Game Code section 2005(c).
It is unlawful to use or possess at any time any infrared or similar light used in connection with an electronic viewing device or any night vision equipment, optical devices, including, but not limited to, binoculars or scopes, that use light-amplifying circuits that are electrical or battery powered, to assist in the taking of birds, mammals, amphibians, or fish.

Only IR illumination is deemed unlawful in connection with the listed items.

It is illegal to use or possess X in connection with Y when hunting.

X = infrared or similar light
Y = list of items.

Basic English. Words and sentence structure mean things. It doesn't matter what they wanted to say. It only matters what they said.

Last edited:
Onery, I am not sure I understand your question. But, two more things about this "law".

1. The text of the law is possibly the worst case of word vomit I have seen in a while. A third grader could do a better job with this run on sentence from h*ll. It needs serious punctuation improvement.

2. Law enforcement will most likely interpret it to mean night vision is illegal because they are ignorant of grammar.

I have shown this sentence to several English teachers and they agree it is horrible. Word vomit.

Originally Posted By: BullspringsTriple Duece, here are what the regs say

Night vision is only banned when using an IR illuminator based on the sentence structure of the text below:

It is unlawful to use or possess at any time any infrared or similar light used in connection with an electronic viewing device or any night vision equipment, optical devices, including, but not limited to, binoculars or scopes, that use light-amplifying circuits that are electrical or battery powered, to assist in the taking of birds, mammals, amphibians, or fish.

My thought was, what's left? Birds Mammals and even fish are in the list. That leaves very little to be hunted with night vision sights.
Artificial light is another thing. Correct? Artificial light also varies in voltage depending upon where in the state you are located.

It is a sentence written by a retarded person - CA Lawmaker.

The only thing left is humans.

That whole stupid sentence only refers to IR illumination used in connection with...

Trust me...they know exactly how they wanted that reg to read...it is structured to be vague and plant doubt in your mind as well as be interpeted as they see fit if they decide to haul you to court.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Originally Posted By: BullspringsTriple Duece, here are what the regs say

My thought was, what's left? Birds Mammals and even fish are in the list. That leaves very little to be hunted with night vision sights.
Originally Posted By: BullspringsIt is a sentence written by a retarded person - CA Lawmaker.

The only thing left is humans.

Humans are mammals...

I use a great Waypoint hand held spot that uses four C cell alkalines, and a Zeiss 3-9x Diavari, if the light is on it it's as good as daylight. I have no problem telling the difference between a Bobcat or Coon at 200 yards sitting on a branch in a tree.

I wanted to get night vision gear but a spot with a tight bright beam and a high quality scope works very well.

I'm jazzed about the Lion depredation permits (2) I got, plenty of bait (goats) that I am breeding with my neighbor's billy so we have lots of baby goats in the spring to replace what the lions have been killing (3 of mine so far).

Back