LED Hunting Lights

Originally Posted By: nightwatchHave a question to anyone who has ever used Deal Extreme site. I got an email saying to process my order I had to verify by sending them a a photo copy of my credit card and photo ID. This sounds like a Scam. So if anyone can let me know so I know how to proceed. I didnt use Paypal so maybe this is why.

Dealextreme has never asked for that on my orders and I'd never give it out. I use paypal though.

Well I got real worried and going to cancel my order. Been trying to get ahold of someone to see what the heck this is about. Thanks for the heads up. I just had to have all these lights everyone has been talking about.

I went to the Gadgettown site back in this post. I ordered a camo Q5 it is 5 mode on Huntingnet it is posted that the 5 mode light will come back on hi everytime if you hold the tail switch a few seconds. I Will have this light 2TLRs and my red headlamp. I should be okay. The camo item # is 88005932 nice light for camo guns.

Not in reference to any of the lights in discusion but wanted to get the groups opinion on an LED light I found and hope to use as a scan light. The label reads EMISSIVE ENERGY INOVA and looks like their T1 model. Its 1"x4.75", single mode with a sperical lense and uses a sf123A batt. The spot at 20' is 36"w/13'+- halo and at 45' spot is 8'w 25'+- halo I shined this light up my street last night and was lighting up street signs over 100 yds away. I found a amber med bottle that fits perfectly over it to tune it down a bit as well. Would this light work for close in stuff?

Originally Posted By: patncorNot in reference to any of the lights in discusion but wanted to get the groups opinion on an LED light I found and hope to use as a scan light. The label reads EMISSIVE ENERGY INOVA and looks like their T1 model. Its 1"x4.75", single mode with a sperical lense and uses a sf123A batt. The spot at 20' is 36"w/13'+- halo and at 45' spot is 8'w 25'+- halo I shined this light up my street last night and was lighting up street signs over 100 yds away. I found a amber med bottle that fits perfectly over it to tune it down a bit as well. Would this light work for close in stuff?

A link or pictures would help.

I think I read this topic beginning to end 4 times. Im lookin to get into night hunting for as cheap as possible. I hunt with a shotgun and handcalls in pretty tight terrain. I ordered the $20 Cree headlamp from a place in California so it is supposed to be here in like a week. Its a 5V 160 lumen according to the description and the original style according to the picture. I hope this is enough for what I need. I also ordered the WF-501b red led($11), 28mm asperical lens($2), remote pressure switch($5), and the nylon strap gun mount($2) from dealextreme. I also ordered the butler creek blizzard #1 scope cover($11), and the gel paper pack($4) from ebay for the headlamp so that I can easily switch to white light for walking. For under $60 this seems to be the best set up for close range night hunting for the money. Now I just have to wait for the dealextreme order to come in.

JW I think that will work fine. I actually use that setup on my AR. Red gel from ebay might be a little dark for scanning.

I would like to purchase some extra 18650 batteries and maybe a bigger charger. Ive read in a few topics about certain batteries being too tight in some lights. I understand the mAh numbers on the batteries and a larger number would probably be best so that it will last longer in the field. Is there any brand or size to avoid? How about a good charger for 4 or more batteries or a car charger adapter?

tried my first stand with my $20 headlamp with the Roscoe Fire gelpaper,and the Knoxx light. I had no takers but I am happy with my set up. I hope to report some success stories soon! Thanks pmack for your research and help on these threads!

I have 3 gun lights now. My best is a UF600 xenon. Not a LED. It takes 2 batteries and runs 1.5 hours so it is fine for a shooting light. IT pushes the beam through the red Dj gel and the gell can take the heat I get 300 yards of super bright red beam.

Originally Posted By: PacecarCaptainJ: Your choice of lights are not an "overkill", more like an underkill with respect to long distance throw of the light beam. An XM-L emitter provide lots of flood lighting, but takes special optics to provide throw. The single C8 LED you're looking at would have good throw if the LED chosen was the XR-E.
Red gel paper drastically reduces the light output from an LED type of light. For red light, it's better to get the red LED.

Thanks for the advice. I did a lot more research and settled on the SkyRay STL-V2. I ordered it from DinoDirect (they use a generic description for it, but it's the same light @ $10 cheaper with coupon) and I just got it this weekend. I haven't been able to take it hunting yet, but I tested it out last night. There's a stop sign at the end of my street @ exactly 300 yards from my driveway. There are no streetlights or anything by it, so at night you can't even see it's there. With the red gel over the light I was able to get the stop sign to light up like I was standing right next to it (everything thing else around it still completely dark). I know a stop sign is a lot bigger and more reflective than a coyote's eyes, but as easily as it lit up that sign, I have no doubt I can see eyes at 300 yards.

Then I flipped up the cap of the scope cover to remove the red filter, and the white light lit up the house that's behind the stop sign (330 yards away) like it was daytime. This thing's got some serious throw! I'm planning on taking it out hunting this week, so I'll see how it does in the field and report back. I'm very happy with this purchase, and I got it almost exactly 2 weeks from the day I placed the order.

From Manafont with all the details: http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php...03cr123a-p-7191

From Dino Direct (cheaper): http://www.dinodirect.com/flashlights-1000lumens-cree-t6-led.html

My Skyray STL-V2 that I ordered on 1/24 came in on 2/7 so not too bad on ship time from DinoDirect although they B/O my 2 3700mah batteries so hope they arrive soon. The light has a two piece body so I removed the back section and dropped 3 123A batteries in and all worked fine. The light appeared no differant with either style of battery. This light has 3 modes however not sure if I can get it to memorize low/high only as the strobe wont serve me well in the field as far as lighting goes I checked it out in a huge crop field and spotted the eyes of 2 deer at over 300 yds and could makeout the RR bridge behind them with no problems at all with the white lense. I'm not sure how much red will effect the throw but I am very pleased with it so far.

Ordered my Shepslight Coyote TLR on Friday and received it earlier this afternoon. My initial reaction was that it was packaged very well, impressed with how fast it arrived and that it definitely shouted quality. I immediately drove out to my uncles who owns an XLR-250 to do a side by side comparison, there is virtually no difference. Didn't even think to take photos of the side by side of shining our labs with both lights from 100 yards away but when I came home I took some crappy photos with my Iphone of my Labrador @ 213 yards away (Ranged). To the naked eye her eyes looked huge, but thanks to the quality of my poop phone cam, it doesn't seem that way.

Ordered an XLR-250 halo shield from Jeremiah about an hour ago,crossing my fingers that it fits my TLR and if not I'll just give it to my uncle and I'll have to redneck engineer something
smile.gif

Bottom line is, is that they are both great lights and to each their own. I probably should have paid a little more and got the 250 but i wanted to shave a few bucks off my burn light so I took a chance with the Coyote TLR and my uncle and I agreed this to be an equivalent option. Plus I'm not planning on using a wired tailcap switch since my uncles has failed on him (common prob) and I don't want to run the risk of that happening to me in the field.

Also, I know this is the same light as the D8 from DX but i just happen to be impatient and lazy and didn't want to wait that long for the light to come as well as having to track down the scope mount from DX.

Now for the crappy Iphone pictures.

The smaller light in the comparison photo is a 190(claim) lumen Costco special with red sharpie ink dripped on the lens. (took it apart to drip it to avoid lines, word to the wise....wear gloves if you plan on trying this, what a mess!)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/dacommon/shay213.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/dacommon/Shay213zoomedwithiphone.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/dacommon/TLRonleftHomemadewithsharpieonright.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/dacommon/TLRvshomemadewithsharpie.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/dacommon/killlightCoyoteTLR.jpg

I just ordered one of the $20 headlamps myself , but the one I got is 600 lumens , and I also got an ultrafire 900 lumen . I was considering using the Dykem instead of the red filter paper , is this going to cut down more light than using the filter paper ????? Not real worried about using them for anything but predator hunting . Anyone still using the Dykem method for coloring your lense ?????

About a year I use Armytek Predator, 500 lumens.
I like it for some reasons:
1) variety of the modes (5 modes - constant light, firefly, strobe, SOS and beacon). I choose necessary mode according to the situation.
2)The technologies of the light also attract me
tt1.gif

Sure, before purchasing I've read the information from other forums and then decided that it's perfect for hunting.

Back