best way to get to know the GW

Not sure about Ohio, but I've always found the local "zone" office, stopped by to introduce myself and asked which officer generally worked the areas I wanted to go...

I've been asked to watch for poachers and unsafe hunters,,,We usually wind up exchanging cell phone numbers for future contact, if needed....Maybe being a retired LEO helps initially, but generally they are helpful and appreciate any efforts to make their jobs easier...

Since I'm over 65, I'm not required to have a MO hunting or fishing license unless I'm going after specific big game (Deer or Turkey) or Trout....So if they know I'm just looking for Coyotes and Bobcats (during season), they don't even bother checking me if they see my vehicle...

Just give them a call.
I think the Ohio hunting and fishing guides have contact numbers for the officers listed by counties.
If you can't find it there, call the main office on Fountain Square in Columbus.

In Texas Game Warden offices are listed by counties online as I recently called a nearby county Game warden the other day to let him know I would be night-time calling in his area. I looked up the name&number on my I Phone quick and easy.
He thanked me for the heads up.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
It's a good idea to get to know the local warden.
A few years ago I put together a coyote hunt here in Alberta for PM members. We had guys come from Montana,Sask, etc. I called the local Game Warden to let him know what was going on. I have talked to him several times over coffee.

He did get a few calls about the extra activity in the area but was able to quickly deal with it as he had a heads up.

It also makes it easy when I find a roadkill raptor or a deer I want to use for bait. A simple phone call takes care of it.

I was able to find his name and office number on the ODNR website assuming it's up to date. maybe I'll stop back into the local fish and game club on euchre night and see what I can find out too. thanks

Originally Posted By: Shurshotmaybe I'll stop back into the local fish and game club on euchre night and see what I can find out too. thanks

That's a good idea too!
It was actually a part of my job description to participate in fish and game club activities. I think it's common in other states too.
It was one of the best parts of the job!
thumbup1.gif

For Ohio: Call your district office for any info.

1-800-WILDLIFE (1-800-945-3543) -or- emailing wildinfo@dnr.state.oh.us

They are releasing trout this month. If you have one close by, he or she will be there.

First understand they are LEO's, most do not hunt or fish. If you try to call one, they are never in. They are in the field or a meeting.

District 1 - Central Ohio

District 2 - Northwest Ohio

District 3 - Northeast Ohio

District 4 - Southeast Ohio

District 5 - Southwest Ohio

Originally Posted By: predyotevarmintOriginally Posted By: Shurshotwhat is the best way to meet or get to know your local game warden? thanks

Do something illegal.

Now that's funny right there!!
thumbup.gif

You might find it hard to believe, but that's how I met some of my best friends.

First understand they are LEO's, most do not hunt or fish. If you try to call one, they are never in. They are in the field or a meeting.

Really Willy ?

I would not want a WLO that did not hunt/fish/trap-

(anti's)- a sheep in wolf's clothing...

my .02

Back