----Shilen Barrel Questions----

blopez50

I'm lookin for a barrel for my 338-06 build. I wouldn't mind waiting on other makers but I can find Shilen blank in stock for a good price.

Would you use a Shilen Match Grade Stainless Steel blank on a custom build? If it matters, it's already the contour that I want and will be fluted and chambered when the smith gets it.

I see that they have a "Chrome-Moly" barrel but it's quite a bit cheaper... I'm just assuming it's lower quality.

I'd appreciate any opinions/input that you guys have.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Shilen match grade are typically excellent barrels. I have used MANY of their select match barrels, and several of their match barrels, and I think you would be hard pressed to see a difference is accuracy between the two in a hunting rifle. In a benchrest rifle you probably could document a difference but not in a field rifle.

all I have ever used were their SELECT match and they are outstanding. I am considering a regular match stainless for my next build though. I will bet they are just fine. I have never heard anything bad at all about their CM barrels either.

chuck

Just to follow up with what others have said. I have a Shilen select match on my custom 6mm and have shot a 4 shot group at 100 yards measuring .133". Don't think another barrel will help me do better.

Dave

1:10

I had concidered a 1:12 since I'm going to shoot he 200/225gr bullets. But I think the 1:10 should be fine. Think so?

Last edited:
They had a bad wrap a few years ago but I think all is well now. I have a Select Match on my 223AI and it shoots great. I would buy another in a heart beat.

Shilen barrels= Handcrafted in Texas by Texans untouched by Human hands!
wink.gif

Just received mine today! #4 Shilen 6mm 1:10". Just waiting for a match grade reamer from Pacific. They are 8 weeks out. I can't wait to get going.

My 17Rem is a Shilen hand lapped CM barrel. Shoots dime size groups and I havn't really played with it. CM is a cheaper (cost) metal than stainless so that is the cheaper price. The finish inside is the same process. CM you can blue and that is why I got it.

Back