whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property

wvyotehunter68

I got the property posted and got a gate on the only road that goes into the property. But the gate don't help much.people have shot and cut the locks when they want in.

Game cam video is prima facia evidence in courts here for trespassing and/or poaching, while photographs are not...

Originally Posted By: DesertRamInfrared game camera set up over the gate/lock? Is photographic evidence of this nature admissible in court?

The admissibility of photographic evidence would probably depend on the judge hearing the case. I would think that most judges would welcome photographs and video.
Have you contacted your conservation officer? If not, give him or her a call and advise them that you have a recurring problem and signs and locked gates haven't been effective.
If you find somebody on the property get all of the information you can get, such as vehicle descriptions, license numbers, and any personal info that's easily obtained. Call the CO as soon as possible, give them the information, and be available to go to court and testify and assist in the prosecution in any way you can.

There's a difference in folks that accidentally stray onto property with unmarked boundaries, and chronic trespassers that cut locks and fences.
Warnings don't work on the chronic offenders. They need to be dealt with by the court systems.

I havnt contacted gw yet but I am next time there's a problem. I have a relative who's a cop that hunts with me sometimes I would love to.catch him or them when hes hunting with me. Here in wv u can arrest anyone that's trespassing on your property the landowner can. Plus its in his jurisdiction. I've tried the infrared cam they just shot it numerous times with a shotgun . It destroyerd the whole camera, card and all. Don't no how they found it I had it hid really good. Always thought about making my own gate so that I can make it impossible to shoot or cut the lock since I'm a welder. My buddy did this and hasn't had a problem since but it was a pretty pricey job. I no I'm going to be haveing more problems shortly since the turkeys are gobbling. I think I might try stakeing the place out Here soon.

Be careful if you stake the place out. If these guys are cutting locks, fences, and destroying other personal property, they may not be totally against a personal confrontation with you. Things can get ugly in a hurry when parties are armed. Just look out for yourself.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DesertRamBe careful if you stake the place out. If these guys are cutting locks, fences, and destroying other personal property, they may not be totally against a personal confrontation with you. Things can get ugly in a hurry when parties are armed. Just look out for yourself.
smile.gif

Excellent advice!
Leave the confrontations to the LE folks.

In a lot of states destruction of property, like your camera, would bump a simple hunting without consent violation up to a criminal trespass charge.
Trespass is a more serious offense and carries a higher penalty.

A good solid pipe gate with a box welded over the lock attachment would be a big expense and a lot of work, but it would go a long ways in correcting the problem.

Another idea is to contact a local security alarm business and inquire about getting an intrusion sensor installed by the gate.

Last edited:
Maybe a motion sensing solar light, i would get a cheap one, since they may shoot it.
But a light might be nice for you and let them know it's being monitored.
I also saw somewhere they had fake security camera's for $10. Just hang a fake idea under the light and that should do it.

What would also work is a seizmic sensor. It is a sensor that is buried a few inches underground so it cannot be seen and transmits a radio signal or calls a cell phone number when ground vibrations are detected. Seizmic sensors can detect the difference between a vehicle and an animal and are primarily used by the military, law enforcement, and commercial security companies. Try contacting a local security alarm company to see what they have available to help you.

Originally Posted By: Bob after Bob3ft piece of 3/8 all thread buy some washers and some nuts. Cut it into 8" piecies put your nuts and washers down 8" in each piece then cut the piecies at a angle with a grinder, then sharpen. Use 2 nuts and 1 big washer on each one. Put the nut then washer then nut, down 3". Put them in the ground 5 inches you will see the vehicle thats driving in and breaking and entering. Many do it here in PA.

I would definitely recommend doing some research into the laws in your state regarding "booby traps" before spiking a roadway.

Ya i know people who do this but i have no idea if its legal thats why i put some PA landowners do it.I would think a tresspasser would have a hard time beating it if the property is clearly posted. But check the laws first. I would try cameras first.

Last edited:
A driveway monitor system may help. They are wireless and some have a range of a couple miles. It would alert you when someone accesses your property.

Originally Posted By: wvyotehunter68I havnt contacted gw yet but I am next time there's a problem. I have a relative who's a cop that hunts with me sometimes I would love to.catch him or them when hes hunting with me. Here in wv u can arrest anyone that's trespassing on your property the landowner can. Plus its in his jurisdiction. I've tried the infrared cam they just shot it numerous times with a shotgun . It destroyerd the whole camera, card and all. Don't no how they found it I had it hid really good. Always thought about making my own gate so that I can make it impossible to shoot or cut the lock since I'm a welder. My buddy did this and hasn't had a problem since but it was a pretty pricey job. I no I'm going to be haveing more problems shortly since the turkeys are gobbling. I think I might try stakeing the place out Here soon.

Sounds like you need to out fox them... https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=remote%20storage%20game%20camera

Remote storage game cameras, as the name implies take pictures one place, and radio them to a seperate storage unit. They can stand there and talk smart and think they're actually accomplishing something shooting the game camera, but you will be building charges on them all the while for that too, with the memory card full of pictures, safely someplace else. And, if you win in court, you can seek to recover costs of your camera in settlement. They aren't cheap, but it sounds like maybe you're to a point of principle and seeking satisfaction.

Or, you could do cellular game cam, and that one can be set up to send to your cell phone when it's taking pictures, and you would be alerted when they broke in. In that manner, you could quick call your police relative hunting buddy, who probably has connections in law enforcement, and you guys could catch them in the act. But, that one is a little spendier and you have to pay for the phone line to boot.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=cell%20phone%20game%20camera

Spiking the road is an option, but usually someone that doesn't deserve to have ruined tires gets caught up in that too. Down here they use pole barn nails, insert them about half the length of the nail into a piece of half inch conduit about a foot long, then take a hammer and beat the conduit flat over the nail. Sharpen the leading edge of the nail as suggested above, then pound into the road.

Back